PSU not supplying enough power?? Help please!

Turneep

Honorable
Mar 16, 2012
Hello, I was moving my computer and somehow in doing so I knocked the power cable. Now however when I try to switch the computer on the case fans will spin but the PSU, GPU and motherboard fans dont. Everything will light up but there is no spinning. Nor is there any noise from the hard drives or any beeps on start up but my computer has always been very noisy with fans so I don't even remember a beep on start up. But I assume it's there.

Also if I press keys on my mouse or keyboard (which don't light up either) the lights on them will flicker for a second.

Any ideas? Have I shot the PSU? Please don't tell me it's the MB.

The first thing I would do is reseat everything except the CPU...all power connections, memory, GPU. Something may have been loose and the jolt of kicking the cable. If you have the spare cables, then you might try swapping the PSU power cord that plugs into the wall. If that doesn't work, then go thru the tips on this boot-no-video troubleshooting guide here: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems
If nothing from there works, then you should post your system specs here and tell us what you've done to troubleshoot so far.

Turneep

Honorable
Mar 16, 2012
Thanks for your replies.

I have tried removing all cables and reconnected them to no avail.

Basically what happened, the cable got knocked out when the computer was being moved. When plugged back in none of the fans, including PSU fan and CPU fan were working.

I have covered everything in the guide with no results.

PSU- corsair hx1000w modular power supply
Hd 4870x2
Asus maximum IV extreme
16gb ddr3 rip wave ram
Can't remember my CPU at all, think its i7 2600k

Writing off my phone do really I can't give any more detailed information as I cannot recall it.

Thanks

Turneep

Honorable
Mar 16, 2012
Tried that as well. Still no luck. There's no signal going through to anything yet there are lights so I am confused. If the mb was fried would there be lights on it?

Look on page 2-24 of your manual. It has a debug table with potential issues causing you to not boot. These LEDs are located on the corner of the mobo where the memory sticks are located. What indications are you getting on these LEDs? You don't have a speaker for BIOS beeps, but these LEDs are more definitive in troubleshooting your board. A motherboard manual is a beautiful thing...you should use yours. ;)

Turneep

Honorable
Mar 16, 2012
Manual in my parents house sadly. I think I see the LEDs. Led 1 and 2 with two "8" patterns on them. They don't light up at all. Guess that's bad news.

I would normally say that no LEDs illuminated is a good thing, but not in this case it's a bad thing...you need them to help troubleshooting. I'd normally ask if you have a motherboard speaker like this: http://www.frys.com/product/6488702?source=googleps but your mobo uses UEFI BIOS and I don't know of a reliable source for what the beep codes will mean.

At this point you have to start troubleshooting to eliminate system components. It's not a fast process, but if you don't want to waste money RMAing good parts, then it's something you have to do. I normally start by breadboarding the system: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/page-262730_13_0.html In your case, I would start by doing the paperclip trick to test your PSU. Do this with all power connections removed from system components, preferably with the PSU removed from the case (if it works, then you'll need to remove it anyway for the breadboardng).
Paperclip Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0OKmIuNtmI
Paperclip with pics: http://aphnetworks.com/lounge/turn_on_psu_without_motherboard_the_paperclip_trick

If your PSU starts up, then breadboard with minimum components: mobo, cpu, (1) GPU and (1) stick of memory. You're just trying to POST - not boot - so you don't really need the HDD...you can add that after you get a good post or after you ID/replace the bad part. Let us know if you're PSU passes the paperclip test and we'll move forward from there.

Unfortunately you can't try using your processors integrated graphics to eliminate the GPUs (almost a $300 mobo and no video ports to help troubleshooting...sheesh). At least you have two GPUs to test. If you pass the paperclip test, then you need to systematically swap components to see if you can get a good POST. Test with one memory stick; no POST, then try the other stick. No post with any of the memory sticks, then remove all memory and make sure you get an error on your LEDs. Move on and swap your GPUs; no POST, then completely remove and see if you get an LED error. If you get no changes in system symptoms, then you've likely narrowed it down to PSU, mobo, or CPU.

Turneep

Honorable
Mar 16, 2012
Thanks for your reply. I will try this later on when I get home from work and update with info then.

Thanks again.

the beeps are telling you something.. there is a set code for how many beeps and the length of the beeps and what the problem is .. look that up
Jimmy: His mobo doesn't have an integrated speaker to give BIOS beeps and it has a UEFI BIOS. The primary method for displaying error codes is a set of 2 LEDs displays above the RAM sockets; code meanings are listed in the mobo manual.

Turn: Let us know how the troubleshooting went and we'll sort this out.

Turneep

Honorable
Mar 16, 2012
Well PSU failed the paper clip test. So I guess that's screwed. I'll order one tomorrow and probably take a week or two to arrive. I have a few power supplies spare that should be able to power the minimum components so I will try bread board it tomorrow when I can get my hands on em.

Turneep

Honorable
Mar 16, 2012
Yes and no. Will RMA this one and purchasing a new corsair PSU as well anyway. RMA one will take longer and I need an extra PSU anyway. Think the PSU is in its 4th year now anyway. I never replaced it from old builds, just carried it across so I got good life out of it.

Turneep

Honorable
Mar 16, 2012
So, new PSU fitted and connected up. After dealing with the errors I was getting on the mother board and a brief panic when I thought my GPU was finished I got everything up and running fine. Still not sure what happened to the PSU but at least that's all that needs to be replaced. Thanks for all the help and patience