Need help buying a laptop but I don't speak "Computerese"

Hello,
I'm a 62 yr young lady who sells Avon. I need a liteweight laptop that will be fast (for video watching, data input, surfing, email---everyday usage) I need wireless connectivity, DVD whatever, at least 4GB, 400??? and would like to keep the price under$1500. Could someone please help me? I don't understand any of the technical language so the existing questions and answers don't help me at all. Thanks in advance for your help.
11 answers Last reply
More about need buying laptop speak computerese
  1. Hello Pennsylvania Pat;

Lots of very nice options out there - and you won't need to use your entire budget to get one.

You might want to hop down into the Laptop section of the forums. Laptops & Notebooks

There is a Laptop Buyers FAQ with some additional questions that can help focus the search for your best match.
  2. Hello,

For what you need, you won't have to spend 1500$ :) (as WR2 mentioned)

Laptops have come a long way.

Things I would suggest for yourself:

You will probably want a lighter laptop - some laptops are heavy.

Depending on how your eye sight is, you may want either a 15" or 17" laptop, 17" may be too large though.

Here is a decent laptop:

ThinkPad Edge E520 (1143AFU) $673.99

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834246283CVF

15.6" Screen size.

4GB Ram

500GB HDD

DVD Burner

Wireless N card

4 USB ports with 1 being a combo ESATA port.

1 x vga output

1 x HDMI output (you could hook it up to a bigger screen with this connector)

5.51lb total weight

This laptop would do everything you would need it to do - quite well.

This is a nice laptop as well:

ASUS K53E-DH31 $569.99

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230180

15.6" Screen

i3 2330M (2.2.Ghz)

4GB Ram

500GB HDD

DVD Reader Writer drive

HDMI out

5.73lb
  3. the great randini said:

Awesome laptop - however the only issue she may find is it has a lack of space (128GB SSD), as well as "only" a 13.3" screen. Besides that, it's a very good laptop - nice and thin and very light (2.2lb). I would actually reccomend that one if it had more space.
  4. Hello Pennsylvania Pat;

You might want to hop down into the Laptop section of the forums. Laptops & Notebooks

Thanks for your help and I apologize for being in the wrong section. Shame on me :non:
  5. Hello,

For what you need, you won't have to spend 1500$ :) (as WR2 mentioned)

Laptops have come a long way.

WOW!!!!
    Thanks so all the info!! I love both products except for the weight. I carry so much Avon that I'm looking for something lighter. Prices are SWEET. :love:
  6. the great randini said:

Almost perfect!! Love the weight but concerned about the space since Chainzsaw mentioned it. Otherwise I wouldn't have known that 128GB SSD
    was space.

Anyway, thanks for you help. I really appreciate it!
  7. Chainzsaw said:
    Awesome laptop - however the only issue she may find is it has a lack of space (128GB SSD), as well as "only" a 13.3" screen. Besides that, it's a very good laptop - nice and thin and very light (2.2lb). I would actually reccomend that one if it had more space.

Hi Chainzsaw,
    Thanks for answering my question. Can you tell me how much " space" you would consider enough for my needs? I'm sorry, I'm really stupid where this stuff is concerned. Thanks for you help.
  8. Well what else do you do? Do you download movies, games, music etc? Or is it just surfing the internet?
  9. amuffin said:
    Well what else do you do? Do you download movies, games, music etc? Or is it just surfing the internet?

Well, i guess I just surf the internet, I'm really not sure. I download /upload photos, short videos, pdf's mostly-nothing major. Mainly just everday use like data in-put, record keeping, make flyers, email, I guess that what you want to know.
    Thanks for your patience with me. I have "hopped" over to the laptop section of the forum and filled out the form as best as I could. I really appreciate the kindness and understanding that the members here have shown to me since I am dumber than dumb about this computer technology.
  10. Pennsylvania Pat said:
    Hi Chainzsaw,
    Thanks for answering my question. Can you tell me how much " space" you would consider enough for my needs? I'm sorry, I'm really stupid where this stuff is concerned. Thanks for you help.

I believe according to what you told us here, anything over 256GB of space would probably do well.

I've found another great laptop:

TOSHIBA Portege R835-P88 779.99$
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834214594

13.3" Screen

6GB Ram

640GB HDD

DVD Super multi

Weight: 3.2lb

It's heavier than the Zenbook - but the case of this Toshiba Portege is magnesium alloy which is a big plus as it would give a nice sturdy - yet light feel to it.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Laptops Product