Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Need help buying a laptop but I don't speak "Computerese"

Last response: in CPUs
Share
March 16, 2012 2:24:04 PM

Hello,
I'm a 62 yr young lady who sells Avon. I need a liteweight laptop that will be fast (for video watching, data input, surfing, email---everyday usage) I need wireless connectivity, DVD whatever, at least 4GB, 400??? and would like to keep the price under$1500. Could someone please help me? I don't understand any of the technical language so the existing questions and answers don't help me at all. Thanks in advance for your help.
a c 203 à CPUs
a c 572 D Laptop
March 16, 2012 2:37:27 PM

Hello Pennsylvania Pat;

Lots of very nice options out there - and you won't need to use your entire budget to get one.

You might want to hop down into the Laptop section of the forums. Laptops & Notebooks

There is a Laptop Buyers FAQ with some additional questions that can help focus the search for your best match.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b D Laptop
March 16, 2012 3:22:57 PM

Hello,

For what you need, you won't have to spend 1500$ :)  (as WR2 mentioned)

Laptops have come a long way.

Things I would suggest for yourself:

You will probably want a lighter laptop - some laptops are heavy.

Depending on how your eye sight is, you may want either a 15" or 17" laptop, 17" may be too large though.

Here is a decent laptop:

ThinkPad Edge E520 (1143AFU) $673.99

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1683...

15.6" Screen size.

4GB Ram

500GB HDD

DVD Burner

Wireless N card

4 USB ports with 1 being a combo ESATA port.

1 x vga output

1 x HDMI output (you could hook it up to a bigger screen with this connector)

5.51lb total weight

This laptop would do everything you would need it to do - quite well.

This is a nice laptop as well:

ASUS K53E-DH31 $569.99

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1683...

15.6" Screen

i3 2330M (2.2.Ghz)

4GB Ram

500GB HDD

DVD Reader Writer drive

HDMI out

5.73lb
m
0
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b D Laptop
March 16, 2012 3:46:25 PM



Awesome laptop - however the only issue she may find is it has a lack of space (128GB SSD), as well as "only" a 13.3" screen. Besides that, it's a very good laptop - nice and thin and very light (2.2lb). I would actually reccomend that one if it had more space.
m
0
l
March 17, 2012 5:03:54 PM

2485343,2,54640 said:
Hello Pennsylvania Pat;


You might want to hop down into the Laptop section of the forums. Laptops & Notebooks

Thanks for your help and I apologize for being in the wrong section. Shame on me :non: 
m
0
l
March 17, 2012 5:10:29 PM

2485365,3,17805 said:
Hello,

For what you need, you won't have to spend 1500$ :)  (as WR2 mentioned)

Laptops have come a long way.


WOW!!!!
Thanks so all the info!! I love both products except for the weight. I carry so much Avon that I'm looking for something lighter. Prices are SWEET. :love: 
m
0
l
March 17, 2012 5:59:34 PM

Chainzsaw said:
Awesome laptop - however the only issue she may find is it has a lack of space (128GB SSD), as well as "only" a 13.3" screen. Besides that, it's a very good laptop - nice and thin and very light (2.2lb). I would actually reccomend that one if it had more space.



Hi Chainzsaw,
Thanks for answering my question. Can you tell me how much " space" you would consider enough for my needs? I'm sorry, I'm really stupid where this stuff is concerned. Thanks for you help.
m
0
l
a c 185 à CPUs
March 17, 2012 6:16:56 PM

Well what else do you do? Do you download movies, games, music etc? Or is it just surfing the internet?
m
0
l
March 17, 2012 7:10:31 PM

amuffin said:
Well what else do you do? Do you download movies, games, music etc? Or is it just surfing the internet?

Well, i guess I just surf the internet, I'm really not sure. I download /upload photos, short videos, pdf's mostly-nothing major. Mainly just everday use like data in-put, record keeping, make flyers, email, I guess that what you want to know.
Thanks for your patience with me. I have "hopped" over to the laptop section of the forum and filled out the form as best as I could. I really appreciate the kindness and understanding that the members here have shown to me since I am dumber than dumb about this computer technology.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b D Laptop
March 17, 2012 7:51:53 PM

Pennsylvania Pat said:
Hi Chainzsaw,
Thanks for answering my question. Can you tell me how much " space" you would consider enough for my needs? I'm sorry, I'm really stupid where this stuff is concerned. Thanks for you help.


I believe according to what you told us here, anything over 256GB of space would probably do well.


I've found another great laptop:

TOSHIBA Portege R835-P88 779.99$
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

13.3" Screen

6GB Ram

640GB HDD

DVD Super multi

Weight: 3.2lb

It's heavier than the Zenbook - but the case of this Toshiba Portege is magnesium alloy which is a big plus as it would give a nice sturdy - yet light feel to it.
m
0
l
!