Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New Build - will not boot win7 from dvd drive

Last response: in Systems
December 11, 2011 4:50:42 PM

So I put together a new build. I go too boot up and install win7, but it says, "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected." I then turned if off made sure all of my sata cables are connected properly and they seemed to be. Tried again, same thing. I reburned win7 on to a new dvd and tried that, still did not work. In bios I checked to make sure the dvd and hdd were coming up and they seemed to be, however the names were a little wierd(not sure what they should be called). I checked the boot order to ensure the DVD-rw was selected and put it at priority 1. I am running out of ideas. Can anyone help me trouble shoot this. It would be a huge help
December 11, 2011 5:27:09 PM

Other PCs boot from the same Windows 7 DVD? If so and your PC is configured to boot from the DVD-RW before the hard disk, then it may be defective. What motherboard and SATA controller? What are the names that look a little weird?

Edit: Does it even try to read the DVD?
m
l
December 11, 2011 5:46:50 PM

ATAPI iHAS 124B and ST31000528AS are the names of the devices that come up... Yes the windows seem to boot on other computers. I have set them to AHCI and they were IDE by default so I tried that.

I am running an ASRock 970 extreme3 mobo.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

December 11, 2011 7:07:18 PM

There's nothing weird. You have a Liteon iHAS-124 B DVD burner and a Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS 1TB hard disk.

Since you have more than one DVD burner, I would try a different unit. You should definitely set the SATA controller to AHCI and make sure that the DVD is the first in the boot order.
December 12, 2011 1:34:36 AM

Ok, I dont have another DVD drive right now. But I think I am going to try to install off of USB and see if that works. Will let you know
m
l
December 12, 2011 2:22:50 AM

OK.... I got it to work using wintoflash to install windows using a USB.... I started an RMA from my dvd drive. Thank you for your help
m
l
December 12, 2011 2:23:10 AM

Best answer selected by comebackcarl.
m
l
!