New Build - will not boot win7 from dvd drive

comebackcarl

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011
So I put together a new build. I go too boot up and install win7, but it says, "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected." I then turned if off made sure all of my sata cables are connected properly and they seemed to be. Tried again, same thing. I reburned win7 on to a new dvd and tried that, still did not work. In bios I checked to make sure the dvd and hdd were coming up and they seemed to be, however the names were a little wierd(not sure what they should be called). I checked the boot order to ensure the DVD-rw was selected and put it at priority 1. I am running out of ideas. Can anyone help me trouble shoot this. It would be a huge help

Solution
There's nothing weird. You have a Liteon iHAS-124 B DVD burner and a Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS 1TB hard disk.

Since you have more than one DVD burner, I would try a different unit. You should definitely set the SATA controller to AHCI and make sure that the DVD is the first in the boot order.
Other PCs boot from the same Windows 7 DVD? If so and your PC is configured to boot from the DVD-RW before the hard disk, then it may be defective. What motherboard and SATA controller? What are the names that look a little weird?

Edit: Does it even try to read the DVD?

comebackcarl

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011
ATAPI iHAS 124B and ST31000528AS are the names of the devices that come up... Yes the windows seem to boot on other computers. I have set them to AHCI and they were IDE by default so I tried that.

I am running an ASRock 970 extreme3 mobo.

There's nothing weird. You have a Liteon iHAS-124 B DVD burner and a Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS 1TB hard disk.

Since you have more than one DVD burner, I would try a different unit. You should definitely set the SATA controller to AHCI and make sure that the DVD is the first in the boot order.

Solution