Sign in with
Your question

Programs stop responding every few minutes!

Last response: in CPUs
March 16, 2012 2:34:47 PM

Hey, so I recently built my new computer :)  Here are the specs:

Mobo: Asus p8z68 v gen3 1155 ATX
GPU: XFX Radeon HD 6870
CPU: Intel i5 2500k
HDD: 320GB
Ram: 8GB 1333 kingston hyper blue
PSU: Modxtreme 600w modular

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate

Here is the thing, when I installed the CPU and the CPU Fan, I noticed some of the thermal paste was missing, so im not even sure if there is any contact between the heat sync thermal paste and the cpu.....

Anyways, what happens is when I run programs, it randomly stops responding. I can move my mouse around, click things, but thhey don't respond... However, I was testing out my GPU, ran the Heaven Benchmark tool, and while I was in the actual world, it never stopped responding and always worked fine.

Ask more quesitons please about when it doesn't work because I cna't remember them all, but does anyone know why this is happening?

Thanks guys :)  (This forum rocks when it comes to helping with these problems!)
a b à CPUs
March 16, 2012 3:05:11 PM

which voltage memory did you get?

i bought the wrong kind. e.g. 1.6v and if i run it at that it makes my pc unstable (by default it clocks down to 1.5v and runs steady)

ive got the same motherboard (actually the v-lx model) as you buy i5 2400
m
l
March 16, 2012 3:13:13 PM

First off, what Anti-Virus / Anti-Spyware protection are you using?

Second, did you use safety equipment and proper procedure when touching your hardware? If not, then look at "Anti-Static Gloves & Antistatic Wrist-Straps".

Third, did you apply thermal properly and use the heat-sink and let it spread normally? If you do it this way, there is more contact between your Processor + Heatsink. Also, please avoid using "Silver" substance thermal paste. That stuff can / may short-circuit your system.

Fourth, what type of Case did you have? If it doesn't have front panel fans or has poor grade fans, then take it out and replace it...

Fifth, cable management will improve air-flow and provides better circulation for your system and hardware.

Sixth, check your voltage memory...

That is all I can think off...
m
l
!