New Video Card - 6770 vs 6790

Hello guys ! I'm kinda new arround here, and i would really like your help and suggestions.

I want to upgrade my videocard and I was wondering if i could go for a ATI HD 6790 instead of an 6770, without having the "bottleneck" issue. My CPU is a Core 2 Quad Q8400, overclocked a little to 3.0GHz and a PSU Sirtec HP 450W.

I'm opened to any discussions and suggestions. Thank you.
13 answers Last reply
More about video card 6770 6790
  1. both card will support on your system..
    see comparison of those cards, click this link

http://www.hwcompare.com/9997/radeon-hd-6770-1gb-vs-radeon-hd-6790/

6790 better than 6770.
  2. 6790 all the way. With the psu you are running you should be able to handle a 6870. Spend around 40-50 bucks more and get the better card. I think you would be happier. Do not get me wrong those two cards you have picked out are great but there is always better for just a tad bit more money.
  3. Resolution??
    Since if u r on lower side any one of them is more than enough.
    Also make us available total amps present on your psu's +12v rails
  4. Don't go with the 6790.It's a bad thermal design.It consumes 150 watts yet it's not very fast.I would suggest going with a 6850.It's faster and only consumes 120 watts which is better for you and your PSU in the long run.
  5. gagan_prakash2009 said:
    Also make us available total amps present on your psu's +12v rails

I'm sorry but i'm afraid i don't understand what you mean :o

I was thinking for the 6790 too, but someone told me that i would need at least a 500W psu for that, but i've googled a little and found out that 450W it's more than enough to keep a 6790 up on my sistem, but then again i was wondering if my cpu is good enough for this card, that's why i wanted to ask you guys...

@purple stank: I'm kinda' on the budget here, as I want to buy a new led monitor too (philips 21.5' led full HD) ... so i think the price for a new video card should not be higher than a 6790 ...
  6. The 6850 is only $15 more.It's much much better.Well worth the money,imo.But it's your decision.

Their's a chart on the back of your PSU.We need to know how many amps are on the +12/v rail(s).
  7. purple stank said:
    Their's a chart on the back of your PSU.We need to know how many amps are on the +12/v rail(s).

+3.3V 20A
    +5V 20A
    +12V1 18A
    +12V2 18A
    -12V 0.3A
    -5VSB 2.5A

Is this the info you are looking for ? Sorry but when it comes to PSUs, i'm kinda' noob :lol:
  8. Your PSU is capable of deliver around 300+watts on the +12/v rail so it should be enough for the 6790.Just know that you can't crossfire with it.
  9. Purchase any card,in this case 6790 is winner & u have no problem regarding cpu it's a decent one capable of handling any mid-range graphic cards
  10. Ok. Thanks purple stank , thank you all for your info. I'll go for the 6790. :) I'm not an addict to play games at high resolutions with outstanding quality, i just want to have a good gaming experience at 1920 x 1080 with no problems, i don't need ultra high game video settings, high will be enough :D
  11. Alright.But I seriously suggest getting some extra money for the 6850 if it's possible.
  12. purple stank said:
    Alright.But I seriously suggest getting some extra money for the 6850 if it's possible.

I've bought a ASUS HD 6850 and I'm glad I did. This video card is awesome, it's just perfect for what I needed, maybe a little more :bounce: . Thanks purple stank for being so persuasive.

This video card runs perfectly with a 450W PSU (Sirtec High Power 450W) (for future references)
  13. Glad your happy with it.It really is a better choice in every way over the 6790.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics