Motherboard for i7 2600K?

The Intel® Core™ i7-2600K is one of our 2nd generation Intel Core processors. As far as the motherboard I would move over to the Z68 chipset for the extra features that it does give you in something like the Asus P8Z68-V/Gen-3.

With the Z68 you pick up these three extra features over a P67 board.

-Support for the IGP (Integrated Graphics on Processor) on most of the Z68 board. The ability to use the IGP can help in a couple areas like troubleshooting and also with backup graphics of your card goes down. Also with the LucidLogix Virtu Software you will be able to switch to ensure that you get the best performance for the application you are using.

-Intel SRT (Smart Response Technology) this will allow you to use a small SSD (<64GB) to use it as a caching drive and speed up access and boot times for anything stored on the drive.

-Intel SATA III controller said to be a performing controller than the older Marvell controller used on the P67 chipset.

If you dont have the Corsair Vengeance memory yet make sure you get the low profile memory since the normal Vengeance memory can hit the bottom of most of the common 3rd party HSF (heatsink/fan) if you want to overclock. Otherwise I think you are doing on the build.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

D

Deleted member 217926

^ + 1 for a Z68 board.

Also a +1 for the memory advice. Use low profile Corsair or GSkill Ripjaws X or Z to fit under a large air cooler if you are going to overclock.

Power supply is complete crap. The power supply is the most important part of your system.

For a single GTx580 go with a 600w power supply from Corsair, Seasonic, PC Power and Cooling, XFX, Enermax, Silverstone, OCZ or Antec. If you plan on adding a second GTX 580 in Sli then look for 850-900 watts from the same brands I listed above.

Since you are geting a K model processor I assume you will overclock. Add an aftermarket CPU cooler such as the fairly cheap Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo. It will get you to the 4.5Ghz sweet spot of your 2600K easily.

TRENDING THREADS