Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Aesthetically Pleasing Case?

Last response: in Components
March 16, 2012 6:18:06 PM

I'm currently building a new gaming PC, and I just can't seem to decide which case to get.
I'm going with a Black/Red theme, and my current build is:

ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z/GEN3
Intel Core i5 2500k
Corsair Vengeance DDR3
XFX Radeon HD 6850 (x2) on Crossfire

I just want a case that would look good and will enable me to fit my 6850s in it.
USB 3.0 front I/Os won't really matter for me right now since I don't have anything that would really utilize it. I'm fine with the rear I/O from the mobo.

I'm leaning towards the HAF 932 or 922 because of their awesome-looking design.

Any other suggestions? Or should I just go with either one of these?
March 16, 2012 6:33:28 PM

i have got the cm storm mid case and i love it its black with a 200mm red led fan it has space on the top for either 2x120mm or 1x200mm fans iv just orded another 200mm red led fan, and it takes graphics cards that are about 10" or about 13" if you remove the extra hdd tray.
m
l
Related resources
March 16, 2012 7:49:45 PM

I think you should stick to the 932, or if possible the HAF X as they are both big cases that offer a lot of cooling options. Especially since you're running two cards in CrossfireX, you definitely want to put a lot of priority into cooling. But look-wise, IMHO the best tower would be the Storm Trooper. It is even bigger than the HAF X! Not only that but, it is aesthetically one of the most desirable cases I've ever seen. It seems to have great cooling too but the HAF X is still the king of cooling. I'd choose the Storm Trooper personally but if you aren't willing to spend the extra $20 or so, then go for the 932. It is bigger and better for cooling than the 922 and has a black interior which looks a lot better than the silver one found on the 922 that looks rather cheap. Not to sound pushy however, I'd still choose the Storm Trooper XD Good luck!
m
l
March 16, 2012 8:20:46 PM

I think the windowed version may reduce the cooling, especially to the GPU's where it is most needed since it lacks the fans. The one with the fans instead is great. It is also available now as opposed to having to possibly wait for the windowed version. :) 
m
l
a b ) Power supply
March 16, 2012 9:08:00 PM

get anything that dosnt begin with HAF ! So many choices out there and too many peeps end up with the ( or one of the ) hafs ... stray from the herd .... be brave !
m
l
March 16, 2012 9:17:16 PM

rufus_22 said:
get anything that dosnt begin with HAF ! So many choices out there and too many peeps end up with the ( or one of the ) hafs ... stray from the herd .... be brave !

LOL there is a reason people buy HAF series cases. They have amazing cooling due to the many fan ports and also appeal to many for its looks. Not only that but they are made with fairly decent quality and are convenient if you read the features list. Cooler Master is a popular and well-trusted brand so I can see why people would like it so much. However, in my personal opinion, they look a bit too rugged and thus I'd rather choose the Storm Trooper (which is also CM :na:  ).

EDIT: I'm not a Cooler Master advocate BTW! XD
m
l
March 16, 2012 9:23:24 PM

maybe look into the antec 300's, not super amazing looking but nice cases, also the corsair 600T looks pretty nice, especially the white, im not even a fan of white cases but its a very sleek case and has fairly desent cooling
m
l
a b ) Power supply
March 16, 2012 9:25:49 PM

I would also choose the storm Trooper ...very good case .. but I stand by my prior assesment . If you read the info on air cooling out there the number of fans on it are redundent at best .. useless at worst . and other than that aestheticly they look like a child's toy ....imo :) 
m
l
March 16, 2012 9:28:21 PM

rufus_22 said:
I would also choose the storm Trooper ...very good case .. but I stand by my prior assesment . If you read the info on air cooling out there the number of fans on it are redundent at best .. useless at worst . and other than that aestheticly they look like a child's toy ....imo :) 

:na:  You said that you would choose it and that it is a very good case but then you start saying that it's a bad case right after... based on cooling and looks... :??:  Those are usually the two main things to look for in a case aren't they....?
m
l
March 16, 2012 9:33:35 PM

mildgamer001 said:
maybe look into the antec 300's, not super amazing looking but nice cases, also the corsair 600T looks pretty nice, especially the white, im not even a fan of white cases but its a very sleek case and has fairly desent cooling

I agree it is a great case, not so good for cooling but looks nice. Though it is rather simplistic looking case is it not? Corsair is known to overprice their cases quite often. But if OP likes the simple, sleek look of the 600T, it is a good buy. I personally have never been a fan of Antec cases due to their looks and their cable management, but I heard that it recently got better. Looks however have not. :( 
m
l
March 16, 2012 10:59:58 PM

Thanks for all the replies guys. :) 
I really appreciate it.
Since I am planning to OC my 2500k to about 4GHZ (or maybe even 4.5 if possible), what kind of cpu cooler would you guys prefer? I can't seem to find a red one, which is a disappointment aesthetically, but I guess a black one will do. I was thinking of a CM Hyper 212, or maybe even that ugly Noctua one (sorry Noctua >.>).

Or should I stick with the stock cooler since the HAF is supposed to have high air-flow?

Also, I just checked out all the prices in my area, and it seems that the cases are priced about the same, except for the HAF X, which is about $20 more expensive. The Corsair 600T looks nice, but it's not what I like :( .
m
l
March 17, 2012 4:31:33 PM

Crunchiie620 said:
Thanks for all the replies guys. :) 
I really appreciate it.
Since I am planning to OC my 2500k to about 4GHZ (or maybe even 4.5 if possible), what kind of cpu cooler would you guys prefer? I can't seem to find a red one, which is a disappointment aesthetically, but I guess a black one will do. I was thinking of a CM Hyper 212, or maybe even that ugly Noctua one (sorry Noctua >.>).

Or should I stick with the stock cooler since the HAF is supposed to have high air-flow?

Also, I just checked out all the prices in my area, and it seems that the cases are priced about the same, except for the HAF X, which is about $20 more expensive. The Corsair 600T looks nice, but it's not what I like :( .

If you like the CM Storm Trooper then see how much you can get it for as it is a great looking case.

As for the fans you don't need to spend too much because overclocking the 2500k to 4GHz can be possible with even the stock coolers. However to go higher you can be fully satisfied with the CM Hyper 212 you thought of. It isn't pricey and will allow you to max out on overclock easily.

The people above me are recommending coolers above $50 which is really just pointless if the only benefit that you are really going to receive is the red accents...The Thermaltake Frio CPU cooler that was recommended above is louder, almost $30 more and gives about only about 10-20CFM more of airflow compared to the CM Hyper 212 EVO. You can achieve an OC of AT LEAST 4.5GHz with the 212 which is the OC you desired. The advantages from the Frio are very minimal, especially to you. Other than it being slightly red the $30 difference doesn't seem to be worth it. I'd save that money and spend the extra possibly on a better case like the HAF X.

Even if the looks of the 212 still bother you, realize that you will probably not even see it. IMO it won't contrast with the colours of your red-themed build since it's black so it should still keep your PC looking great on the inside. Of course, if I haven't convinced you, the Frio is a pretty decent cooler except for the price. If spending $20 more for the HAF X bothered you, I still don't see why you are willing to spend so much extra for a CPU cooler that is very minor in terms of visibility and performance gains. If you want, you can even add a second fan to the 212 to further cool your processor.

Check this link out:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/269202-29-2500k-coole...

Like the guy above me said, you can add red LED fans to it. I'm sure it will look fantastic !
In short, you should buy the 212. :) 
m
l
a b ) Power supply
March 17, 2012 5:37:19 PM

agreed ... 212 + red led fan + shipping should be at or below $ 50 .00 including shipping .. good luck with your build
m
l
March 17, 2012 6:59:26 PM

yea i was going to say either hyper 212+ or hyper 212 evo. good cheap-ish coolers that seem to do a very good job.
oh and akhilcool yes it is simplistic but that si the point. if people didnt like it it probably wouldnt be for sale :p  honestly a favorite of mine for looks, never owned one though. and teh shape is a very sleek modern look. also lots of people like the plain but nice look, if it wasnt soo expencive iwould get one fo rmy comp, (im reusing a 12+ year old mid tower case that i just finished modding today, apart from the lights etc.)
m
l
a b ) Power supply
March 18, 2012 10:16:34 AM

Ya that one gets good reviews too . Ironic that the only con I read was about the red light in the center ... " go fig "
m
l
a c 104 ) Power supply
March 18, 2012 11:03:38 AM

You can always snip the wires to the offending led :) 
Moto
m
l
a b ) Power supply
March 18, 2012 11:38:05 AM

true and at the price it may be a good solutiion
m
l
a c 104 ) Power supply
March 18, 2012 11:40:29 AM

See how you get on with it (if you do buy that one)
and you can always remove the Led later if its too annoying, you may find you like it hehe
Moto
m
l
March 18, 2012 5:43:38 PM

if you got the cash I would go for the dark fleet 85, throw a cm hyper 212 evo on there, and add a fan controller for around 59$ on the front to make it look dope and help you keep it cooler when you need to. It's what Im building in a couple of weeks with the same proccesor as you also ocing to 4.5.

http://ncix.com/products/?sku=33524&vpn=SEN-001LX&manuf... is the control panel I was talking about
m
l
a b ) Power supply
March 18, 2012 6:07:59 PM

if ya got the bux ( I'd ) go for a couple rx 480's and a water loop ... I love spending other peeps money !
m
l

Best solution

March 18, 2012 9:56:10 PM

Lol you guys really like making the OP spend a lot more than necessary. If of course he/she is willing to then the V8 is a good buy. But from an honest viewpoint, as I've already stressed before, even the CM Hyper 212 EVO can be given red LED fans that give themed look. When it is in your system, you will never notice it and even a simple black cooler without colour can look great because it is simple and black. The Noctua ones however would look rather terrible because they are colours that aren't appealing (brown and beige.)

The 212 gives way more performance for its price and doesn't take up as much space as the giant V8. Now the person above me recommended water cooling....the cost of that alone is phenomenal and it's kind of like asking the OP to just go ahead and spend a couple of hundred dollars more on the rig. Now although the person above said 'if' the OP had the money, realize he wasn't willing to spend $20 more on the case, what makes you guys think he's willing to spend hundreds on water cooling or a lot on a CPU cooler? IMO he should go with the CM 212 and decide later if it is worth exchanging its fans with red LED ones. I personally think the colour of the CPU cooler will not make a difference as long as it is black or red. It will still go with the red theme and the 212 is one amazing cooler that most people buy and get great results. Just my opinion....
a b ) Power supply
March 18, 2012 10:14:51 PM

thats why I reccomended it
m
l
March 20, 2012 2:03:48 AM

Thanks for all the help guys. :D  I really appreciate it.

I finally decided to get the storm trooper, and since some of you (and many other sources) have said that 4GHz OC is easy with the stock cooler, I'll just stick with the stock cooler for now. I have ordered everything in my rig, and it will soon come. I might buy Hyper 212 as recommended, if ever I feel the need to OC some more.

I have read an article about replacing the fan on the Hyper 212, and it seems that it's not that difficult. I might do what you guys suggested, and just replace the included fan with a red LED fan. :D 

Once again, thanks for all the help. I really appreciate it.
Now, I have to wait for my rig to come. :D 
m
l
March 20, 2012 2:04:23 AM

Best answer selected by Crunchiie620.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
March 20, 2012 10:03:11 AM

Glad to help and good luck with your build
m
l