Sign in with
Your question

Wait for Ivy Bridge or get a 2700K?

Last response: in CPUs
March 16, 2012 7:53:01 PM

Hi, I've been wondering, should I buy a 2700k or wait for ivy bridge? (will be over clocking the hell out of either)

So what should I do, and what would you do?

Regards
Daniel

PS I will probably be buying an ATX motherboard by ASUS ROG for overclocking, what mobo would you buy?

More about : wait ivy bridge 2700k

a b à CPUs
March 16, 2012 8:24:29 PM

All depends on if you want to wait or not. Ivy Bridge will only be 5-15% increase at most over Sandy, and I think you'd even be disappointed if you got either over what you seem to have now
March 16, 2012 8:25:52 PM

bearclaw99 said:
All depends on if you want to wait or not. Ivy Bridge will only be 5-15% increase at most over Sandy, and I think you'd even be disappointed if you got either over what you seem to have now

I am waiting for the nVidia 600 series as well
Related resources
a c 472 à CPUs
March 17, 2012 2:11:52 AM

Is this basically for playing games 'cause games don't use HyperThreading (HT). Unless you have programs that can take advantage of HT, the best CPU so far is the Core i5-2500k or i5-2550k.
March 17, 2012 3:26:05 AM

jaguarskx said:
Is this basically for playing games 'cause games don't use HyperThreading (HT). Unless you have programs that can take advantage of HT, the best CPU so far is the Core i5-2500k or i5-2550k.

It is for games but Im not getting an i5, only i7
a c 185 à CPUs
March 17, 2012 3:31:05 AM

There is no point of getting an i7 if it is only for games. The reason why I own an i7 is because I do 3d work and play some games. If you are only gaming, then get an i5. Also I see in your sig you have a perfectly good system, why get a 2700k?
March 17, 2012 4:06:23 AM

amuffin said:
There is no point of getting an i7 if it is only for games. The reason why I own an i7 is because I do 3d work and play some games. If you are only gaming, then get an i5. Also I see in your sig you have a perfectly good system, why get a 2700k?

I do 3D work and video editing as well... Also because I have had issues with my 2600 so I am upgrading, ok?
a c 185 à CPUs
March 17, 2012 4:16:29 AM

What problems so far?
March 17, 2012 4:25:03 AM

amuffin said:
What problems so far?

doesnt matter, Im just getting a new CPU, OK!?
a c 185 à CPUs
March 17, 2012 4:26:52 AM

I am saying, that you don't need a new cpu for what you are doing. Save your money for the higher 680 cards :) 
March 17, 2012 4:31:09 AM

amuffin is correct. gaming, no difference between a 2500k and 2700k. Only in 3d modeling and such. if you are coming from a standard 2600, either will give you big jumps because of overclock.

Then new 7 series mobo's will be release close to the 600 series gpu's. There won't be much a performance increase with ivy, mainly power and heat performance.
March 17, 2012 5:37:22 AM

amuffin said:
I am saying, that you don't need a new cpu for what you are doing. Save your money for the higher 680 cards :) 

I am already planning on buying a 680...
March 17, 2012 5:38:20 AM

ebola28 said:
amuffin is correct. gaming, no difference between a 2500k and 2700k. Only in 3d modeling and such. if you are coming from a standard 2600, either will give you big jumps because of overclock.

Then new 7 series mobo's will be release close to the 600 series gpu's. There won't be much a performance increase with ivy, mainly power and heat performance.

Yes but the Ivy Bridge will support PCIe 3.0, wont that effect the GPU speed???
a c 185 à CPUs
March 17, 2012 6:12:28 AM

Quote:
FX 4100. Perfect Price/Performance

Oh I hope this guy is trolling.
March 17, 2012 6:18:01 AM

amuffin said:
Oh I hope this guy is trolling.

yeah me too :(  Plus I will NEVER go with an AMD Processor.
a c 185 à CPUs
March 17, 2012 7:40:22 AM

*please don't repeat offensive posts with a quote, then I have to edit your post also*

Reported.
March 17, 2012 8:54:40 AM

amuffin said:
*please don't repeat offensive posts with a quote, then I have to edit your post also*

Reported.

??
a c 185 à CPUs
March 17, 2012 8:55:59 AM

Oh that was just proximon editing my post. Nothing to worry about, got to remember not to quote :) 
March 17, 2012 8:59:21 AM

amuffin said:
Oh that was just proximon editing my post. Nothing to worry about, got to remember not to quote :) 

kk.....?
March 17, 2012 9:11:00 AM

gameridgoeshere said:
Hi, I've been wondering, should I buy a 2700k or wait for ivy bridge? (will be over clocking the hell out of either)

So what should I do, and what would you do?

Regards
Daniel

PS I will probably be buying an ATX motherboard by ASUS ROG for overclocking, what mobo would you buy?

For gaming, it is doubtful you would notice the difference from what you have now to an Ivy Bridge even if you got the 3770K. PCIe 3.0 won't make much of a difference because even today's fastest GPUs do not saturate a 16 lane PCIe 2.0 slot. In other words, today's GPUs are incapable of using PCIe 3.0's extra bandwidth. The PCIe 3.0 protocol is more efficient (in addition to being faster) and because of this you may experience a slight performance increase but it will probably not be enough to be noticeable.

That said, for video editing, if you want a noticeably faster machine than what you've got, then you should go for the I7-3930K or its much more expensive "X" brother. The two additional cores will result in a noticeable performance increase when editing video. Pair that with an ample supply of memory (supported by the X79) and you can build a machine that blows your current one out of the water (but only in video editing.) On the other hand, the X79 platform is definitely quite a bit pricier than the Z68/Z77 platforms but, it is available right now.

Conclusion, balance the pros and cons of each option and their costs. Only you can determine if the X79 platform would be a good investment for what you're doing. Ivy Bridge isn't worth the money considering what you already have.
a c 148 à CPUs
March 17, 2012 9:11:10 AM

You need to look at the total PRICE for a motherboard AND the CPU:

For example, an i5-2500K was recently $200 and a really great motherboard (PCIe v3, USB3 etc) was $175.

That's $375.

Newer motherboards can often be $100 or more than a nearly identical, slightly older board and CPU's can often be at least $100 more for the latest and the total effect on gaming is VERY LITTLE TO NONE (graphics card is usually the bottleneck).

So you can spend $375 for current gen or about $600 on the newest gen for a CPU/Motherboard combo that isn't really that much different.
March 17, 2012 1:03:09 PM

yes, you do need ivy for gen 3 pci-e, but current video cards can't even saturate gen 2 slots. How do you think they are benchmarking all these 7000 radeon cards?
March 17, 2012 7:07:51 PM

ebola28 said:
yes, you do need ivy for gen 3 pci-e, but current video cards can't even saturate gen 2 slots. How do you think they are benchmarking all these 7000 radeon cards?

Yes thats true.
a c 148 à CPUs
March 19, 2012 12:21:57 AM

First of all, there are PCIe v3.0 motherboards that are NOT Ivy Bridge:
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=65323&vpn=P8Z68-V%20PR...

This $200 motherboard is a really great motherboard. PCIe v3. USB3. etc.

Several high-end cards are coming VERY CLOSE to maxing out PCIe v2 and what about FUTURE CARDS?

If you can buy a great PCIe v3 motherboard for $200 that will support the higher bandwidth cards in the future then IMO that's the way to go.

(I could understand if the board was $400 or more but this is competitive with current PCIe v2 boards with similar features.)
March 19, 2012 3:04:05 AM

plus, you can get a sandy bridge proc and drop in a ivy bridge later, both are 1155 chipset...
a c 148 à CPUs
March 19, 2012 5:33:15 AM

NO.
I don't think Sandy Bridge motherboards are forwards compatible with the new 22nm CPU's whereas the Ivy Bridge motherboards support the new AND old 1155 CPU's.

PCIe v3.
I believe the newer Intel CPU's have support for PCIe v3 built into the CPU itself. There are Sandy Bridge motherboards that support PCIe v3 but that's by the PCIe controller being built into the motherboard instead.

The end result is the same, they both support the higher bandwidth of PCIe v3 that future graphics cards (at the high end) will require.

PCIe v3 required?
Not in general, but the HD7970 is slightly impaired with only PCIe v2 x8. This means a card of 2x the processing power would be slightly impaired at PCIe v2 x16. (Crossfire of two HD7970's is not the same as having a single card of twice the performance).

How long do you think it will be until we see a single card of twice the performance of an HD7970?
a c 148 à CPUs
March 19, 2012 12:14:41 PM

Well I wouldn't spend much extra on it, but the ASUS board I mention two of my posts above is $200 and has PCIe v3.

Since PCIe v3 doesn't seem to add much, if any, to the price of this board I'm not sure why you wouldn't want it.

Personally I'd wait for Ivy Bridge if building a new PC and get one of the new 22nm CPU's which use less power (at least when the price drops to be competetive).

To be clear about PCIe v3:
- only a few 1155 Sandy Bridge motherboards have it. The controller would have to be on the motherboard.
- Ivy Bridge will have the controller built into the new 22nm CPU's.
- Ivy Bridge is backwards compatible with the current CPU's (like the i5-2500K) but these CPU's have a PCIe v2 controller whereas the new CPU's have PCIe v3
- the HD7970 performed 9% better with PCIe v3 enabled for a COMPUTE task (such as encoding video) so reasons for PCIe v3 already exist. I would expect the same issue with NVidia's CUDA on a similarly performing card like the GTX680.

*If I couldn't wait, I'd likely get that ASUS board which is really great, and an i7-2600K.
a c 148 à CPUs
March 19, 2012 12:39:17 PM

Quote:
your i7 2600 is great for gaming and video editing i does this things on my i3 2100 also without any problem then why you are wasting money? :non:  and if you are a gaming beast then go for GTX 590x3 in SLI or GTX 690x3 in SLI :D 

How can you talk about "wasting money" with a more expensive CPU and buying THREE GTX690's in the same statement?

You'd need PCIe v3, and an expensive, overclocked CPU to even consider a 3xGTX690 setup or else the CPU would be a major bottleneck.

As for video editing alone, an i7-2600 is going to beat an i3-2100 and for gaming it will depend partly on the video card but performance will be better with the i7-2600.

*I can also play Crysis on a netbook. I just wouldn't want to.
March 19, 2012 12:42:28 PM

if you are waiting for ivy, the new z77's should be out before the release... which is the updated z68 mobos. There will always be something better coming out soon
a c 148 à CPUs
March 19, 2012 12:51:30 PM

ebola28 said:
if you are waiting for ivy, the new z77's should be out before the release... which is the updated z68 mobos. There will always be something better coming out soon

That's true.
I do like the power savings of both the new 22nm CPU's for Ivy Bridge and the motherboard chipset though. It's also shown that an HD7970 or GTX680 can max out PCIe v2 if doing compute (like converting video with CUDA and OpenCL).

It's close enough to being released that it's worth waiting for if in the market to build relatively soon. My only real concern would be on the price of both the new motherboard and cpu's.

**What I REALLY want to see is the ability to run basic tasks on a low-powered CPU/GPU and disable BOTH the main CPU and addon Graphics card like NVidia does with the mobile Tegra 3 (4+1 cores uses low-powered core for basic tasks and disables the main four cores until needed.)

Sorry, that's off topic and nowhere in site. (actually the new HD7xxx AMD cards can disable the second card almost completely when not needed, or the second half of a dual-GPU card).
a c 148 à CPUs
March 19, 2012 2:53:33 PM

Quote:
sorry about that its not me that time it my brother. we have 2 pcs but 1internet to use so we connected two pcs to use 1 internet at the same time. and it is he's hobby to hack others account specily my account i have a account on "game-debate.com" and my big bro hacked that account is well and in the result i got suspended. he is a keylogger. and sorry again

"connected 2 pcs" ??
Um. You should really be using a router. Most modern Gateways/Modems support four ethernet devices. Or you could buy a separate router if you just have a basic, single-connection MODEM and no wi-fi. I recommend a SINGLE device with the modem, FOUR ethernet connections and wi-fi.

(You can buy a $20 USB wi-fi adapter if your Modem has wi-fi and running the Ethernet cable is a pain.)
a b à CPUs
March 19, 2012 4:00:10 PM

It's only a month away. I'd wait for the new 22nm process node.
!