Mac sycophants.. are they right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

subtlefly

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2012
Hey team,
Dont get me wrong.. I like Mac, and have a macbook pro for doing Flash and stuff, but I am buying a workstation for doing 3ds max. Up to now I have been using the macbook pro, quad core i7 2.7 g processor and 8gb ram.

I am buying a i7 3930K with 32 gb ram and a Quadro 2000 graphics card... but some mac sycophant guys I know reckon that the lowest spec Macpro tower will run raster than this machine?
Are they right?
Keep in mind that 3Ds max is windows only so it involves running Bootcamp

My macbook pro has been working for 3ds max... but only just... it will run windows using Bootcamp but I wouldn't say it likes it much.. I can't share files between partitions and it is routinely screwing with files getting shared between Mac and windows side via usb sticks..

I have been working in a mac environment in my past job for the last 7 years and so have lots of mac only software- hence the macbook pro. But I don't have much loyalty to Apple- they suck balls.

I am a little worried about viruses and stuff on this new machine but figure I will limit its internet connecting to registering and activating software..
Anyway, I appreciate your thoughts
Cheers
sub

Solution
While Mac Pros are pretty beastly machines, especially the higher levels ones, if you are building this yourself or getting your company to buy you the machine with the i7 3930k and the Quadro card it will do much better. The workstation card will help a lot with 3DS, especially compared to the 5770 in the Mac Pro.

Compared to a high end desktop at a similar price the mac pro tends to lose, but if its a question of your company getting you a lower end workstation because its hard to justify configuring a lower end one, or getting a mac pro, that is where they come in handy and would win.
While Mac Pros are pretty beastly machines, especially the higher levels ones, if you are building this yourself or getting your company to buy you the machine with the i7 3930k and the Quadro card it will do much better. The workstation card will help a lot with 3DS, especially compared to the 5770 in the Mac Pro.

Compared to a high end desktop at a similar price the mac pro tends to lose, but if its a question of your company getting you a lower end workstation because its hard to justify configuring a lower end one, or getting a mac pro, that is where they come in handy and would win.

Solution

subtlefly

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2012

Cheers,
I am the one buying this machine, it will cost me around $3,100 australian with a Quadro 1000 card
(but I am thinking of going to the 2000) I just want to make sure that I am making the right decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.