FX 8150 OVERHEATS ON STOCK!!! HELP THIS NEWBIE!

usama197

Honorable
Mar 16, 2012
Hey, I built my first computer and here are the light spces.
FX 8150
Asus M5A99X evo Mobo
1 gb Saphire 6770 ddr5
8 gb Corsair ddr3 1600mhz
OCZ 120 GB SATA 3 SSD
750 gb WD HDD 7200rpm
Corsair CX 500 PSU
Corsair H60 Watercooler
Haf X full tower case

I tried to over clock it to 4.6 GHZ and raised the stock vcore from 1.28xx to 1.38xx and OC was unstable so I tried to go back to stock but the vcore was still at 1.38 and everytime i change the vcore manually to 1.28 it seems to go over to 1.3xxx and its burning my processor. On full load i was getting 69 C so i stopped the test quickly. Went into bios and saw that the vcore was at 1.28xx. I restarted the computer and some how the whole windows experience changed... the date went back to 2008 and firefox wouldnt let me go to google as it stated this website was unreliable!?

I tried to clear the CMOS as it was stated in the manual and after the process i was given two options
press f1 to recover bios setting or press enter

i tired to press enter and it doesn't work pressed f1 and am back to 1.38 vcore!?

Is their something wrong with the processor or the mobo? I tried my stock cou fan and it was also burning it over 70 C on p95.

btw i tried to do a windows experience test and it failed.

What should I do? HELP !!!

Solution
G
Wait wait wait. Are you monitoring the SOCKET temp or the Core Temps? Socket Temps always read pretty high (I had a 1055T, 965BE, 720BE so I know the last gen pretty well. All were OC'd). With AMD's you want to pay attention to the CORE temps with (funny enough) CoreTemp. The temp in the BIOS is the SOCKET temp and no matter what you do, there really isn't a great way to knock that down by much. Also, not every BIOS reports socket temps accurately. With the old 1055T's the first batch was off between 8C and 12C. So yeah, get back to us when you are loaded and running CoreTemp (screen pics will help verify.)

Edit: Re-reading your post I think it's more than likely you are reading the socket temp. Max safe for that chip is 61C...

usama197

Honorable
Mar 16, 2012

but i get worse temps with the stock fan!So the water cooler is at least keeping it under 69 C but Im so confused

usama197

Honorable
Mar 16, 2012
true that.....but now it seems that nothing can cool down this cpu because its running stock 3.6 ghz and getting high 68 C so can it be the chip or a faulty mobo?

Demon slayer

Honorable
Mar 15, 2012

It's gotta be airflow issues.

Demon slayer

Honorable
Mar 15, 2012

Shut Down take the Mobo battery out the replace the battery and reboot.

Demon slayer

Honorable
Mar 15, 2012

Well better hurry man the Phenom II are selling out and when there gone there gone Phenom x4 II 980 BE is what I recommend for $150 or $135 with Newegg $15 off w/ promo code EMCNGJG53, ends 3/19

samuelspark

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011

How many case fans have you got? Also, having the side of your case is really bad. Also make sure the cables aren't cluttered and there's room for airflow.

Demon slayer

Honorable
Mar 15, 2012

Side off case means tons more airflow unless you are running a side panel fan it's like putting a lid on a pot it heats up faster and hold in the heat.

usama197

Honorable
Mar 16, 2012

i have one side pannel two on top on in front and one in the bck

G

Wait wait wait. Are you monitoring the SOCKET temp or the Core Temps? Socket Temps always read pretty high (I had a 1055T, 965BE, 720BE so I know the last gen pretty well. All were OC'd). With AMD's you want to pay attention to the CORE temps with (funny enough) CoreTemp. The temp in the BIOS is the SOCKET temp and no matter what you do, there really isn't a great way to knock that down by much. Also, not every BIOS reports socket temps accurately. With the old 1055T's the first batch was off between 8C and 12C. So yeah, get back to us when you are loaded and running CoreTemp (screen pics will help verify.)

Edit: Re-reading your post I think it's more than likely you are reading the socket temp. Max safe for that chip is 61C (of course you could go hotter, most of the time AMD rates these things low.) I am not sure at what temp these new chips start to throttle down though, so I am at a loss for further help. Best of luck! You DID use the right amount of thermal paste (what kind and how much?) and if you've reseated your heatsink (which I think you have, you did mention the temps on the stock fan as well, right?) I just wonder if you cleaned the CPU off well enough or if old junk was stuck on it (use 90 isopropyl alcohol or better for best results).

Solution

usama197

Honorable
Mar 16, 2012

Edit: Re-reading your post I think it's more than likely you are reading the socket temp. Max safe for that chip is 61C (of course you could go hotter, most of the time AMD rates these things low.) I am not sure at what temp these new chips start to throttle down though, so I am at a loss for further help. Best of luck! You DID use the right amount of thermal paste (what kind and how much?) and if you've reseated your heatsink (which I think you have, you did mention the temps on the stock fan as well, right?) I just wonder if you cleaned the CPU off well enough or if old junk was stuck on it (use 90 isopropyl alcohol or better for best results).

Here is are the temps for just seconds under p95!

Full Load: http://i1042.photobucket.com/albums/b426/usama197/Capture.png

Idle: http://i1042.photobucket.com/albums/b426/usama197/Capture.png

BTW im going to buy some thermal grease 2morrow as i was just using the original on both the h60 and the amd fan.

I changed to the amd air cooler because my watercooler wasn't cooling at all. So i took out the amd air cooler and tried that to see if it was the h60 but thats out of the question.

caqde

Distinguished

See about getting some Arctic Silver 5 or Tuniq TX-4 and only use a small amount in the center of the CPU and let the heatsink spread it for you. The pressure will spread it out and remove all of the airpockets that would form otherwise.

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
sounds like someone is using way too much thermal paste. over pating acts like an insulator intead of peroperly transferring heat.

BD is a variable voltage chip also, the bios reading depends on what state the cpu was in. It ranges from 0.85v idle to 1.41V turbo. Even in specific cpu states the voltage is variable depending on the load, 3.6gh can range from 1.275v to ~1.375v. I don't remember the exact number and its not easy to find the exact number online. Use asus's software and monitor the voltage is the easiest way.

Because BD is a variable chip, if your bios is looking at the 1.275V setting when you up it to 1.38, your high voltage is that much higher, especially if you didn't turn turbo off, you will be pushing 1.55+v. Setting LLC to extreme or ultra reduces this change in voltage and is a must for overclocking.

usama197

Honorable
Mar 16, 2012

Thanks I got some 8 pack of thermal grease and applied a pea amount and the core temps were at 48 C max load on stock but the CPU was at 65 C so i am going to start to ignore the CPU temp. Im going to try some other thermal past size's to see which one gives me the best temps under full load.

DOES ANYONE KNOW THE MAXIMUM TEMP FOR EACH CORE ON THE FX 8150 CHIP?