• Graphics Cards
  • Performance
  • SLI
  • FPS
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 15, 2011 5:34:48 PM

Hey all,

I'm at a loss here. I recently upgrade my PC with two GTX 560 Ti Hawks. While I'm noticing a significant increase in performance compared to my old 260, I'm not seeing any increase in performance when I was running a single 560 Ti Hawk as opposed to two. To see what the difference in FPS was, I loaded up SC2 and instead of seeing higher FPS with SLI, it's actually the opposite...

I'm hitting 62 FPS with one card, but 48 FPS running both SLI. I have the latest drivers. I've noticed the same issue with Witcher 2, Dues Ex Human Revolution and Hunted.

My other specs are as follows:
i5 750 @ 2.67 GHz
8GB of RAM
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
750W PSU

Temps aren't an issue, I have a NZXT Phantom with as many fans as I can get in there. I'm capping out at around 60-65C on full load.

Any idea guys?

More about : lower fps sli enabled

a c 274 U Graphics card
October 15, 2011 5:53:47 PM

i5 750 @ 2.67 GHz, have you tried cranking that up a bit?
Score
a b U Graphics card
October 15, 2011 5:57:06 PM

what motherboard are you using? Do you have any other add-in PCI-e cards installed aside from the 2 GTX 560? What is the make and model of your PSU?
Score
Related resources
October 15, 2011 6:04:07 PM

XFX PRO750W XXX Edition Semi-Modular 80Plus Silver 750 Watt Power Supply
&
MSI P55-GD65 LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard

And the only cards I have installed are the two GPUs and a wireless card.

I have not OCed the CPU yet. What should I shoot for? or should I just flat out buy a new CPU? (I read somewhere that the 1156 is pretty much obsolete now.)
Score
a c 274 U Graphics card
October 15, 2011 6:22:19 PM

I have found that SLi likes a fast CPU with lots of onboard cache, the more the merrier, the better the results.
Score
October 15, 2011 6:34:58 PM

So I'm looking to upgrade my mobo and CPU to really get anything out of my second card? Or can I get away with a better CPU?
Score
a c 274 U Graphics card
October 15, 2011 6:38:59 PM

Try OC'ing the one you have first.
Score
a c 254 U Graphics card
October 15, 2011 6:59:09 PM

What are the settings in the Nvidia control pannel for the sli and physix? Have you enabled sli and is the physix setting at auto or dedicated?
Do you have the latest drivers loaded?
Do you have the sli bridge connected and connected all the way?
MSI usually comes with Afterburner , have you adjusted any settings in there?
Sorry for all the questions but since I'm nit there with you it's the only waty to finr out.
Score
October 15, 2011 7:20:43 PM

In addition to what Inzone mentioned, you also need to research if your computer's memory is SLI compatible. Not all memory is. I ran into that problem a few years back when I built my first SLI rig. However, for me, stability was an issue, not the frame speed. To see if your memory is SLI certified, go to the manufacturer's website and look up the memory by model.

Additionally some games are not designed to utilize SLI / crossfire. While most new games are programmed to use it, most older games won't. I ran into that problem with my SLI rig and certain games. Because of this issue I changed from dual 8800 GT to a single GTX 285 and my games were so much better. Just some food for thought.
Score
October 15, 2011 8:00:47 PM

inzone said:
What are the settings in the Nvidia control pannel for the sli and physix? Have you enabled sli and is the physix setting at auto or dedicated?
Do you have the latest drivers loaded?
Do you have the sli bridge connected and connected all the way?
MSI usually comes with Afterburner , have you adjusted any settings in there?
Sorry for all the questions but since I'm nit there with you it's the only waty to finr out.

I have SLI enabled through the Nvidia control panel, and I disabled it to see the difference between one and two cards.

Physix is set to automatic, as I didn't see the point of dedicating one of the cards seeing as they are identical.

I have the latest drivers install as I stated in my post.

I have a bridge and it's secure.

I've been using Afterburner, right now I've OCed the cards by about 10% without any crashes.

@Uberragen21: I have never heard of RAM being SLI incompatible or compatible before. I've never seen it come up before on any of of the forums I looked at when researching this purchase. I've also listed which games I've tried this on, and they are all fairly recent games with SC2 being the oldest.

EDIT: I'm using Kingston Hyperx DDR3 4GB x 2. According to the site they are SLI compatible.
Score
October 15, 2011 8:29:44 PM

randomshortguy said:
@Uberragen21: I have never heard of RAM being SLI incompatible or compatible before. I've never seen it come up before on any of of the forums I looked at when researching this purchase. I've also listed which games I've tried this on, and they are all fairly recent games with SC2 being the oldest.

EDIT: I'm using Kingston Hyperx DDR3 4GB x 2. According to the site they are SLI compatible.

SLI compatibility list

SLI compatibility issues exist. I experienced it when I used non-SLI compatible memory for my first SLI build. After learning about that I made sure when I built a second computer for a friend that I checked the compatibility list. It's all over the internet, you just have to look. The best place to search for the memory's compatibility is the individual company's website.

Honestly though, I think it was more of an issue with DDR2 than DDR3, but even Nvidia lists DDR3 compatibility list on their website.
Score

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
October 15, 2011 8:39:24 PM

Have you checked your power settings in both Nvidia and Windows control panels? I remember I once had a problem where my video card stayed throttled to the video clocks even in 3D games. Are you monitoring your clocks during gameplay, to make sure that they max out? And of course mousemonkey was right, you ought to OC your CPU. You'll hit hit significant bottlenecks at stock with that CPU(depending on the game, of course), but if you can get it to 4GHz (or 3.something, just whatever you can get) you'll unleash a lot more of the potential of those GPUs. I wouldn't call 1156 obsolete, there's no upgrade path for it, but it's still a great performer.
a c 274 U Graphics card
October 15, 2011 8:52:08 PM

Uberragen21 said:
In addition to what Inzone mentioned, you also need to research if your computer's memory is SLI compatible. Not all memory is. I ran into that problem a few years back when I built my first SLI rig. However, for me, stability was an issue, not the frame speed. To see if your memory is SLI certified, go to the manufacturer's website and look up the memory by model.

Additionally some games are not designed to utilize SLI / crossfire. While most new games are programmed to use it, most older games won't. I ran into that problem with my SLI rig and certain games. Because of this issue I changed from dual 8800 GT to a single GTX 285 and my games were so much better. Just some food for thought.

I've built and played with quite a few SLi rigs over the last seven years or so and I can say hand on heart that the whole 'SLi compatible RAM' thing is total cobblers IMHO.
Score
October 22, 2011 1:02:37 AM

Best answer selected by randomshortguy.
Score
a c 274 U Graphics card
October 22, 2011 5:05:41 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!