shadden

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012
Hi, I recently built my own PC for the first time and I think I am having problems with airflow around my case.

The case I own is this http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=6638

My CPU is i2500k

My Fan Akasa AK-CC4005SP01 Venom Nano CPU Cooler. https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-075-AK

I think I have installed my CPU fan wrong and I am confused about how the air flows in my case. What does a heat sync fan actually do for the CPU?

My case has a fan at the back and the fans heat sync part of the cooler (metal bit) is facing that. How does the hot air escape my case if the fan is blowing it back in? The reason I ask is because I am getting very high temps (90s) when I try to overclock. This could be because I am new to overclocking and do not know what I am doing however.

My system is not overclocked at the minute and if I play Battlefield 3 on ultra for a while I am reaching temps of around 70 is this normal ? idle is around 36

Can someone please explain how airflow in a case works? I have uploaded a picture could someone look at it and see if the system is being cooled correctly.

http://imgur.com/Av5lO

shadden

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012
So by looking at the pic, is my cpu fan placed the correct position?

Sorry about the noob questions, just want to make sure that I have done things correct

shadden

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012
Ahh thank you that is useful. It looks as if it is in the correct position. I think its just the fan itself is not that good, that's why I'm getting such high temps.

G

did you overclock the cpu?
did you apply thermal paste correctly?

shadden

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012
I tried to overclock the CPU, many times and failed..... System kept crashing and was reaching temps of 90 in a standard intel stress test. Yeah I'm pretty sure I applied it correctly watched a lot of videos and researched how to do it.

G

well something is up.

i highly recommend taking the heatsink off cleaning the thermal paste off with rubbing alcohol and starting over.

either the heatsink is not seated properly or too little or too much thermal paste.

shadden

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012
Well now that you mention the fan not seated correctly. I had a lot of problems with the heatsink when I was trying to fit the motherboard into case, the fan kept coming loose.

I think I just got annoyed with it and forced it in however, I think one of the pins may be loose on the fan.

Would just one pin loose make the CPU temp high?

shadden

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012
And surely the fan that is on my case as you can see in the picture is pushing the air out of the case. Its the actual CPU fan I am worried about it's facing towards the front of the case. Does this mean its blowing the air that way, where it cannot escape?

G

the fan not blowing the heat off the metal heat sink may very well make a difference. see if you can't get it as snug as possible.

shadden

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012
the fan not blowing the heat off the metal heat sink may very well make a difference. see if you can't get it as snug as possible.

Thanks for your advice. Ill check that tomorrow to make sure its in the correct position.

Also since I will be taking of the fan, will I need to apply more thermal paste?

G

it cannot cause any harm to take the off the heatsink, clean off the old TP and attach the fan the best you can. then put it back together, taking your time and checking your work.