Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Just a simple question

Last response: in CPUs
March 17, 2012 1:08:25 AM

OK so before reading this u should know that this is just a question and i want to increase my knowledge with what ever u guys/gales can tell me

so i was checking deals on Newegg.com and found a cpu called i7 2600s

link
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

since i am a non-overclocker i just want to know if this cpu will be good for future games(Games 5 year away from now if we make it lol's) and will Turbo Boost help in games

Thank u and once again only a question

More about : simple question

a b à CPUs
March 17, 2012 1:24:13 AM

i5 2500
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 17, 2012 2:52:57 AM

The i5 is better for games because the price is so much lower and the i7 has benefits that only help in things that use more than 4 threads, which almost no games do, and even then, Hyper-Threading doesn't give a great performance boost.

I would strongly suggest getting the 2500k and overclocking it later. It is so easy to overclock to even 4Ghz on that CPU with a decent cooler. I could pretty much tell you the settings to change and be almost 100% sure it would work. For $15 more for the k version, it's really work it if you ever want to.
m
l
Related resources
a c 186 à CPUs
March 17, 2012 3:50:37 AM

The 2600s is a downclocked (meaning less clock speed and very low power usage, awesome for 24/7 rendering) version of the 2600 that is used for servers/rendering. But for gaming, higher clock speed is better, so the 2500k is the best choice as hyperthreading will not interfere with your gaming needs :) 
m
l
March 17, 2012 4:10:18 PM

But my real question is will i have to overclock my CPU just for gaming in the next 5 years.

And yeha can i also know how much is a CPU used in today's gaming such as BF3 Or MW3. what should the speed be for example should it be higher then 2.8 GHZ
m
l
a c 186 à CPUs
March 17, 2012 4:12:22 PM

I suggest someone always get the unlocked version, for the sole fact that new cpu's come out every 2 years. Just push the cpu up a bit more in mhz and you will be on par with the new stuff, and you can do it too with different types of cooling, from the cheap and high performance Cooler Master Hyper 212+ to a high end custom watercooling setup.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 17, 2012 4:19:46 PM

Hotkiker said:
But my real question is will i have to overclock my CPU just for gaming in the next 5 years.

And yeha can i also know how much is a CPU used in today's gaming such as BF3 Or MW3. what should the speed be for example should it be higher then 2.8 GHZ

BF3 eats a good amount of CPU and I would suggest at least a quad core with a good clock of 3Ghz+ to run it.

For 5 years of this computer running strong, yeah, you should really look into overclocking. I would say 3 years without an overclock, maybe 5 with it.

2.8Ghz will not cut it in the long run, and I would not go for any AMD 2.8Ghz CPU, only Intel.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 17, 2012 4:34:52 PM

you can run 4 instances of mw3 on a i5
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
March 17, 2012 4:39:29 PM

ignore what these people are saying.

if you want to run games 5 years from now. wait a couple weeks for ivy bridge

it is an upgraded version of sandybridge. it is going to be released in the next few weeks. best to wait for then

(or get a motherboard that takes sandy bridge and supports ivy bridge)
a b à CPUs
March 17, 2012 4:43:30 PM

waiting is better as new cpu and gpu are on the way
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 17, 2012 6:05:52 PM

shanky887614 said:
ignore what these people are saying.

if you want to run games 5 years from now. wait a couple weeks for ivy bridge

it is an upgraded version of sandybridge. it is going to be released in the next few weeks. best to wait for then

(or get a motherboard that takes sandy bridge and supports ivy bridge)

If he buys Sandy Bridge now, he should just wait until Core i 4th gen CPUs come out, as Ivy Bridge will be a very small performance increase because it is a die shrink. But waiting wouldn't be a bad idea, just there would be no point in upgrading form Sandy Bridge to Ivy Bridge really.
m
l
July 8, 2012 3:08:04 AM

Best answer selected by Hotkiker.
m
l
!