Few questions regarding my build

Shavako

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
Ok I've reached the point where I've picked out most of what I need and have settled on it except for my CPU/mobo. Right now my GPU is in a combo deal with an Intel mobo, I was originally going to go with an AMD cpu and board but decided to check out some of the Intel processors. I'm just curious how the Phenom II x4 975 BE and the Core i5 2400 Sandy Bridge compare. I could save some money if I went with the AMD but I've heard the i5-2400 is WAY better. I find it kind of hard to believe that it's that much better (I'm probably hearing that from some Intel fanboys) This isn't an Intel vs. AMD post I'm just curious if I can still expect great performance if I try to save a few bucks.

I will mostly be gaming but in the future I may be doing some graphic design since I'm a computer science student but I'm not sure. I may even eventually buy another one of the GPUs I'm buying and crossfire them but that's gonna have to wait for a while. Also, how does the Radeon HD 6870 2GB compare to the Superclocked GeForce GTX 560 2GB

I might as well throw this question in instead of making another thread for what might be a simple question, with my current living arrangements I have to connect wirelessly to a router. I have a crappy Belkin USB dongle is it worth it to buy a $20 wireless PCI card?

arges86

Distinguished
according to
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-overclocking,3077-3.html
I'd go w/ the Intel CPU.
The current Sandybridge architecture is faster and more efficient clock for clock than what AMD offers at the same speed. Even AMD's newest Bulldozer architecture can't compete w/ Intel's offering.

As for your wireless...
I always go w/ a PCI card. It doesn't take up a USB port. Unless your going SLI, and it takes up a slot. I'd go w/ a PCI card. They are faster and less likely to have problems.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833166051

Shavako

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
I know its faster, but is it that much faster to justify the 40-50 dollars? I'm on a fairly low budget (900-1000 buying everything but a keyboard and mouse) so I'm already being forced to chose a low capacity HD, cheaper mobo, etc. So every little bit I can save counts.

Shavako

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011

I was talking about the CPU lol

Shavako

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
This is true. I'm not sure if I'll really get into overclocking though since I don't know how to, but it's definitely good to have the option in case I decide to learn how to. However at stock is the AMD going to be THAT much worse? I mean it's not like it's going to bottleneck me or anything is it?

arges86

Distinguished
wow, sorry

Short answer. Yes

Longer Answer. Yes. The Intel's CPU so out performs the Phenom II that you'll really notice a difference. It will also last longer as a competitive product able to play games for the next few years.
Intel's CPUs also out perform AMD's when it comes to productivity apps as well.

I had always liked AMD's products (i still use an AMD athlon x2). But every PC i've built for 1000 dollars or more has been Intel for a while. Only at way lower price points do i think AMD puts up a fight.

Zero_

Distinguished
Yes it is THAT much worse. And I'm no fanboy either. I'm running a 955BE setup myself. The 2400 is totally worth the extra $50 you pay for it.

Also, why the 2GB graphics cards? You surely wont need 2GB unless you are planning on multi monitor gaming.

For your budget, I'd suggest looking at the $800 build in my sig + monitor. That's i5 2500k + Z68 + HD6950.

Shavako

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
I thought I had read somewhere that some of the newer games were starting to use a little over 1GB from the GPU so I picked a 2GB but if that's not true or I misunderstood it (easily possible) that would be nice to know. I looked at your build and it's a good build, however I have to buy a wireless pci card and a monitor and I would also like to have a bluray reader cd/dvd writer which is why I have to cut back on some of the hardware

Zero_

Distinguished
1GB can still manage every game upto 1920x1080. You can get a 2GB version of the HD6950 for $20 more.

If you want to save a bit more, I'd suggest dropping the CPU to a i5 2400 (save $30) and get a decent H61 or H67 mobo (save $50). That way you can save up for what you need. Don't compromise on graphics if you are a gamer. You'll regret it sooner rather than later.

nickmo94

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011

My thoughts are that by the time games need 2Gb of GPU memory to max/near-max out with 1920x1080 resolution, a new graphics card will be "required" anyways.

Granted, it doesn't cost THAT much more to get a 2Gb GPU, but that extra cash may be going straight down the drain since currently, very very few things truly require it.

I personally went with the i5-2500k and the GIGABYTE Radeon HD 6950 1Gb for my PC build, placed on a ASRock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3 motherboard. I'll be able to run that build Monday when my hard-drive comes in.

EDIT: Check this out to see how 1Gb vs 2Gb Radeon graphics cards compare (the 6950 series): http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-6950-1gb-benchmark,3041-8.html

As you can see, the 1Gb GIGABYTE card that I purchased fares very well in those tests, often surpassing the 2Gb models by a few frames (which is negligible to me, but still).

In 2 years that extra gig might be taken advantage of, but who knows.

Shavako

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
Any chance you could link me a good cheaper mobo? I don't really know what to look for in a mobo. The H61 and H67 don't support crossfire though do they? Thats something I may be interested in, in the future.