Upcomming build, need advice please.

ft0

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011
Hi guys, Ive been trying to hold this build of for a while now, but have decided to start planning and getting things into motion. Im currently running a Qosmio, which I want to replace as a side computer so I don't have to use it all the time.

This is currently the build I have for now but it will not include the video card as I want to wait for the new Nvidia 600 series to come out. However, if I were to get a card now it would definatley be the MSI GTX 580 Lightning Xtreme Edition 3gb card.

Also, my current monitor has been the 24" dell since 2006. It does not have HDMI, but I'm currently using a converter (one DVI head and one HDMI head) with a switch too so I can use my Xbox 360 on the same monitor. However when this monitor dies out I would like to replace it with the Samsung S27A350H 27in Widescreen LED (unless you guys can come up with something better).

Im also currently undecided between two cases which are the HAF-X and the Aerocool Strike-X ST Black.

Here are the parts (all from PCCG):

Case: CoolerMaster HAF X or Aerocool Strike-X ST Black

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K

GPU: If now, then Ill just get the MSI GTX 580 Lightning Xtreme Edition 3gb. If later, then the equivalent Nvidia 600 series card.

HDD: Crucial M4 SSD 128GB (don't need or want a SATA drive yet as they are very expensive. Already have enough external storage atm).

Memory: Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8R 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-V Pro Gen3

Optical Drive: Will take the one out of my previous desktop. (Which has a dead 775 motherboard and PSU).

Power Supply: Corsair AX750 Gold or 850. I think the 750 should be more than enough. But will have alot of usb devies connected.

Sound Card: Will stick with the stock built in card and see how that goes. Running Z5500's and will be purchasing AD700's or possible 900's (which are like double the price, so might just stick with the 700's)

Monitor: As stated above, if my current monitor dies I will get the Samsung S27A350H 27in Widescreen LED.

Thank you guys for stopping by. Please let me know what you guys think and any contructive advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

FT0

danraies

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011
You seem to know what you're doing.

If you do get a 580 and you aren't going to SLI then the AX750 is good. If you're going to SLI then 850W is on the low end of what you'd want.

I'd go HAF-X but it's just personal preference.