Adding a non-wireless network printer via wireless ?

FaxeKondi

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
Hi all

My problem is the whole network (router / switches) is located in one end of the office building and the printer is located in the other end. Its a big multi functional printer with copy, scan etc. At the momemt we have a loooong network cable running on the floor from the one end to the printer.

Unfortunately we dont have an easy way to install cables above the rooms and that way connect the printer via cable to the other end of the building so I need some sort of wireless solution.

The range is approx 20 meters.

I was thinking of installing a wireless router in the printer room and then some wireless adaptors in the pc's (they dont have wireless cards at the moment). But can the pc's have trouble-free connection to both lan and w-lan at the same time ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

/Faxekondi

But can the pc's have trouble-free connection to both lan and w-lan at the same time?

No a PC will only use one network card.

do you have a wireless connection in your office?

if not you could use two these. Configure one as an AP (Access Point) and the other as a Client+AP.

if you do have a wireless network in place, get one of them and configure it as a Client+AP.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833130077&cm_re=ap_client-_-33-130-077-_-Product

I would choose WPA2 wireless mode during the setup

You don't need to have wireless cards in the computers, just a wireless bridge to your wired network and a wireless adapter for the printer. They will all be part of the same network, wired or wireless does not matter in them all talking to each-other.

FaxeKondi

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011

This sounds very interesting could it be a bridge like the Linksys WET610N? Which adaptor should I use at the printer ?