Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

What is the best GPU currently

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
October 15, 2011 8:33:00 PM

Hi, i want to know what is the best SINGLE Card GPU to this date. no concern to price. only performance. GO!

More about : gpu

a b U Graphics card
October 15, 2011 8:48:03 PM

single card GPU

Nvidia GTX 590 or AMD 6990 depending on what game you want to play since they go back and forth as performance kings.

single GPU it would be the nvidia GTX580 since the cards above use dual GPU chips on a single card.
a c 125 U Graphics card
October 15, 2011 8:49:21 PM

Do you mean single GPU card? If so then it'll be the MSI GTX 580 Lightning Xtreme Edition 3072MB

Dual GPU single card would be the Asus MARS II GeForce GTX 580 X2 3072MB
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
October 15, 2011 8:52:31 PM

according to Toms Hierarchy chart
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-performance-...

the HD 6990 and the GTX 590
but techically they are double GPUs on one card

so the best single GPU would be
GTX 580 and the HD 5970 (unless that is a double GPU-not sure)
in which case you would go with the HD 6970

that is going by raw performance
not using factors of heat noise power usage and price

As you can see I respect Nvidia and AMD/ATI equally
so I will not pick between them

they each have their strong points

I think though the HD 6990 currently holds most powerful GPU title
but that could be debated :) 
a b U Graphics card
October 15, 2011 8:53:17 PM

Man I was just a few seconds too slow LOL
a c 125 U Graphics card
October 15, 2011 8:57:03 PM

king smp said:
according to Toms Hierarchy chart
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-performance-...

the HD 6990 and the GTX 590
but techically they are double GPUs on one card

so the best single GPU would be
GTX 580 and the HD 5970 (unless that is a double GPU-not sure)
in which case you would go with the HD 6970

that is going by raw performance
not using factors of heat noise power usage and price

As you can see I respect Nvidia and AMD/ATI equally
so I will not pick between them

they each have their strong points

I think though the HD 6990 currently holds most powerful GPU title
but that could be debated :) 


The HD5970 is two 5870 Cores (downclocked) on one card :) 
a b U Graphics card
October 15, 2011 8:59:51 PM

Thank you omgitzfatal :) 
I kind of thought so but wasnt sure

Funny thing is all this is going to change shortly
with HD 7xxx in December and GTX 6xx in Q1 2012

I cant wait for a HD 7670 low profile for my piece of poop Dell LOL
a c 125 U Graphics card
October 15, 2011 9:12:26 PM

king smp said:
Thank you omgitzfatal :) 
I kind of thought so but wasnt sure

Funny thing is all this is going to change shortly
with HD 7xxx in December and GTX 6xx in Q1 2012

I cant wait for a HD 7670 low profile for my piece of poop Dell LOL


No probs man :) 

I hope we do see the HD 7xxx series so soon, would be a shame if AMD missed out on the X-mas sales.
October 15, 2011 10:24:04 PM

Nice. i also think the 6990 is the best.

I was meaning best Graphics card. the single card. so people wont come and tell me how good this card is in SLI or CF. i dont want to do that. too much money.

but i think i will go with the 6990.

a c 125 U Graphics card
October 15, 2011 10:28:42 PM

Just be warned that the HD6990 is a very loud card, plus HD6970 CF is faster and costs less than a single HD6990.
October 15, 2011 10:42:46 PM

i will mabe get the Powercolor HD6990 LC. the water cooling one.. mabe..

oh and from where i buy, the 6970 x 2 is the same price as 6990 x 1
a c 125 U Graphics card
October 15, 2011 11:04:29 PM

Overclockers have the hd6970 for £250... The cheapest hd6990 I've seen is £540
October 15, 2011 11:07:10 PM

Let me set this clear. im from south africa.. its not so easy buying from europe or the US. and i have a supplier that have really good prices...

if i can get the LCS 6990, it would be great. otherwise i will have to live with the fan

i can get the card for that price. if i turn that currency directly into our currency

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
October 15, 2011 11:43:34 PM
Share

Go for it
In fact the sound of a fan actually helps me sleep
and really if you game with headphones or a good sound system turned up
then the fan noise doesnt matter
also when doing nothing GPU related you could turn the fan all the way down

I would "suffer" with the fan of a HD 6990 gladly :) 
October 16, 2011 1:09:35 AM

Jurgens said:
Nice. i also think the 6990 is the best.

I was meaning best Graphics card. the single card. so people wont come and tell me how good this card is in SLI or CF. i dont want to do that. too much money.

but i think i will go with the 6990.

I think you're mixing up single GPU card, double GPU card and SLI/CrossFireX.

Single GPU card is one card with one GPU.
Double GPU card is one card with two GPUs.
SLI/CrossFireX is two GPU cards with either one GPU or two GPUs.

Obviously, the most powerful (and expensive) choice is SLI/CrossFireX or two double GPU cards, but that's overkill.

6990 is double GPU card.

(Also, I apologize if you already know all of this.)
a c 212 U Graphics card
October 16, 2011 1:54:32 AM

Decide for yaself.... Guru3D uses the following games in their test suite, COD-MW, Bad Company 2, Dirt 2, Far Cry 2, Metro 2033, Dawn of Discovery, Crysis Warhead. Total fps (summing fps in each game @ 1920 x 1200) for the various options in parenthesis (single card / SL or CF) are tabulated below along with their cost in dollars per frame single card - CF or SLI:


$ 155.00 460-768 MB (314/592) $ 0.49 - $ 0.52
$ 155.00 6850 (371/634) $ 0.42 - $ 0.49
$ 170.00 6870 (434/701) $ 0.39 - $ 0.49
$ 210.00 6950 (479/751) $ 0.44 - $ 0.56
$ 260.00 6950 Frozr OC (484/759) $ 0.54 - $ 0.69
$ 205.00 560 Ti (455/792) $ 0.45 - $ 0.52
$ 360.00 6970 (526/825) $ 0.68 - $ 0.87
$ 205.00 560 Ti - 900 Mhz (495/862) $ 0.41 - $ 0.48
$ 320.00 570 (524/873) $ 0.61 - $ 0.73
$ 480.00 580 (616/953) $ 0.78 - $ 1.01
$ 725.00 6990 (762/903) $ 0.95 - $ 1.61
$ 750.00 590 (881/982) $ 0.85 - $ 1.53


That is the 6990 for example gets 762 fps in the test suite when ya spend $725 costing ya $0.95 per frame .... when ya buy 2, $1450 gets ya 903 fps costing ya $1.61 per frame. Biggest bang for the buck highlighted in bold

Three 580s gets ya 1030 fps at $1460 .... $1.42 per frame

I really cant see getting the 6990 for $725 when two 900 MHz 560 Ti's top it by 100 fps for 57% of the cost. You could add a 550 MBps SSD and 2TB screamer HD for the difference:

$190 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$130 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
October 16, 2011 8:14:14 AM

You all are going off the point, i said. i dont care about the price, i just want the best card discussed. Any card. just not Sli or CF.

thanx
October 16, 2011 8:52:11 AM

Jurgens said:
You all are going off the point, i said. i dont care about the price, i just want the best card discussed. Any card. just not Sli or CF.

thanx

Hi there,

Pretty sure you r after single physical card in your case. Now, do you want-

Single graphics processor on that single physical card OR
dual graphics processor (on single card)

Dual processor solution (SLI/CFX) is going to have higher performance obviously and- microstutter (beware!)

That for you will be either GTX 590 or Radeon 6990.

liquid cooled options of those will be faster (or allow more OC headroom) compared to normal aircooling variants

Brand recommendations- will be limited by what yr supplier can find.

LiquidAMD
October 16, 2011 9:28:01 AM

Any, Single CPU or Dual CPU on 1 card.. i dont want 2 cards in my PC. it takes to much power. i want to know witch CARD is the best.. it can have 20000 Proccesors on it. i dont care. it should only be a single card. (1 card). not speaking of plurals here

thanx

So as i see. its the 590 vs the 6990.

witch one will be the best.
October 16, 2011 9:32:44 AM

king smp said:
Go for it
In fact the sound of a fan actually helps me sleep
and really if you game with headphones or a good sound system turned up
then the fan noise doesnt matter
also when doing nothing GPU related you could turn the fan all the way down

I would "suffer" with the fan of a HD 6990 gladly :) 



yeah> and as i see the HD6990 and the Gtx460 (my current GPU) use the same amount of power, when Idleing. with load the Hd6990 uses way more power. but thats fine. i dont care if there is a helicopter in my pc while gaming. as long as i can set the speeds. good. and the LCS will be way better.

i think i will go with the HD6990.

thanx
October 16, 2011 9:46:28 AM

Best answer selected by Jurgens.
!