Sign in with
Your question

Upgrade 5770, or CF?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 15, 2011 10:33:39 PM

hey there, looking for recomendations on either upgrading or add a second and crossfire my 5770 gpu, reason being is for bf3 not sure if current setup will be enough for high-max settings. computer is currently not overclocked and havent tried it yet, but if needed i will oc. still new to the computer building process this current setup was built in feb. and havent done much to alter performance etc. would adding a second 5770 and running cf be adequte enough instead of buying say the 69xx that is reccomended on for the game. budget well obviously like the rest of us i want the best bang for the buck, but i am not opposed to buying a new better card then what i have now. i would even wait for the new 7000 series of cards to come out if that is a better option, i have mw3 for the ps3 coming to me aswell so i can wait :kaola: 

thanks in advance

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT:main usage is day to day internet browsing, streaming video to ps3 and gaming

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: his 5770, corsair 600cx

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: amd 965 black edition, patriot sector 5 "G series" 2 4gb sticks, gigabyte 890gpa-ud3h mobo

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS:any reputable site

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: canada or us, whereever will be cheaper

PARTS PREFERENCES: dont have a preference this is my first video card so something that will work

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe SLI OR CROSSFIRE:Maybe

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080

More about : upgrade 5770

a c 268 U Graphics card
October 15, 2011 10:53:08 PM

1) First, I suggest you wait untill you get to try the game. You will get a better idea of what you need, and graphics card prices are always dropping, giving you more for your dollar.

2) In general, I suggest a single strong card vs. two in cf/sli. Your psu needs are less, and some games, particularly new ones , do not do that well with dual gpu's.

3) Besides average FPS numbers, there is the issue of microstuttering in cf/sli, particularly with less than top end cards.
Read about it here:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-stut...
m
l
a c 363 U Graphics card
October 15, 2011 11:15:21 PM

I agree, I would wait until you buy the game or read up on benchmark performance that will come out when BF3 is released; Oct 25th.

I also prefer a single powerful video card over XFire or SLI.
m
l
!