Phenom II X4 965: Maximum temperature

Mag1cWalker

Honorable
Mar 17, 2012
How much do you think is the maximum temperature for this CPU?

I have just this CPU with this cooler http://www.czc.cz/gelid-solution-tranquillo-revize-2/94405/produkt , idle temperatures are 25-30 degrees in half an hour of OCCT load is 57 degrees .. .

The cooler is properly installed and the paste is evenly applied (but probably it's some kind of cheaper ***). CPU is not OC, and run on standard 3.4GHz and TDP has 125 ...

What amazes me is that even at 57 degrees, cooler is only slightly warm and I'm talking about the base of cooler, the tower has about 22 degrees...

I blame Thermal compound which is shipped with cooler...

your advices?

thanks and sorry for my english

Mag1cWalker

Honorable
Mar 17, 2012
ok when i reach 65C what happen? will it burn or? :D

edit: also i think that manufactorer added to her official temp some reserves as always

Do you have the cooler mounted vertically or horizontally? 57 isn't going to kill it but if your at stock speed and voltage and the temp is that high it would probably crash with the stock HSF. You shouldn't be near that high with that ambient temp at load unless your airflow is messed up or you applied the paste wrong.

Mag1cWalker

Honorable
Mar 17, 2012
i tried both vertical and horizontal, its almost same... I think this must be something with paste, its maybe old or just need time "heat UP"... :D

Generally paste does not make much difference, maybe a degree or 2. not enough to get that high. Unless its completely bad. Its more likely you put too much paste or the heatsink is not firmly mounted. A small amount (pea size or two of rice) in the center is all that's needed. the heatsink will spread it out when attached

Max temp is 62C.

Unless your system is crashing, don't worry about it. Don't overclock any higher though as your getting pretty close. I suspect 62C is being cautious and the CPU might not crash until closer to 70C.

I assume there is a FAN on the heatsink?

You can also help a small amount by making sure there's a fan PULLING air into the bottom-front of the case and second one pulling are OUT of the top-back of the case. Both fans are likely 120mm and can be VERY LOW SPEED FANS just to keep the air moving through the case.

Mag1cWalker

Honorable
Mar 17, 2012
yes there is fan, but as i said before, heatsink is almost cold, and heatpipes are just a little warm.. strange to me.. but thanks for ideas...

loddic

Honorable
Jan 11, 2013
media coder ran mine up to 61c . Replaced stock cooler with cooler master 212 evo. Now tops out at 44c. Pain to install but worth it.

sporadix

Honorable
Oct 4, 2013
I'm having a very similar problem with this CPU...currently it is topping out at 62c and I am baffeled as to why, recommendations? Perhaps reseat the cooler, or buy a new cooler?

ADD: Looking above I see whats up sorry for rehashing an old issue

JasonFrance

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013

Corsair H60