Organising Start/Programs Menu

I have a lot of programs on my Start/Programs menu. In
W98 I could go into the Windows/Start folder in Explorer,
create folders and tuck the programs into them. In XP
when I look in the Start/Programs folder not all the
programs seem to be in there. (This tendency to hide
things is endemic in XP). I have marked hidden folders to
be displayed. Is there any way to organise program short
cuts on the menu. Help is no help on the issue.
2 answers Last reply
More about organising start programs menu

    Windows XP is a multi-user operating system, so there are separate start
    menus for each user account as well as one for all users. I would guess the
    items you are not seeing are in one or the other.

    C:\Documents and Settings\Dave\Start Menu
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu

    Items in the All Users start menu will show up for every user account on the
    system, while those in your personal start menu will only show up for you.
    Personally I just move everything into All Users since I'm the only one
    using this computer. Makes it easier to keep track of.

    "David Quinn" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have a lot of programs on my Start/Programs menu. In
    > W98 I could go into the Windows/Start folder in Explorer,
    > create folders and tuck the programs into them. In XP
    > when I look in the Start/Programs folder not all the
    > programs seem to be in there. (This tendency to hide
    > things is endemic in XP). I have marked hidden folders to
    > be displayed. Is there any way to organise program short
    > cuts on the menu. Help is no help on the issue.

    Dear Thane

    Many thanks. Absolutely. Found them in all users -
    obvious really but I keep forgetting (just got XP).

    Thanks again

    David - Thane of Antrim

    wrote in message
    >>I have a lot of programs on my Start/Programs menu. In
    >> W98 I could go into the Windows/Start folder in
    Explorer,
    >> create folders and tuck the programs into them. In XP
    >> when I look in the Start/Programs folder not all the
    >> programs seem to be in there. (This tendency to hide
    >> things is endemic in XP). I have marked hidden folders
    >> be displayed. Is there any way to organise program
    short
    >> cuts on the menu. Help is no help on the issue.
    >>

    >.

Configuration Customization Windows XP