Performance Drop in GT330m

dnazer

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
Hi, I recently had a problem with my Nvidia GPU (GT 330m). I have a vaio with a core i7 740 QM (1.73 GHz) and 6 GB of DDR3 RAM. Everything was fine, I was getting amazing frame rates and I was really impressed overall with this laptop. However two days ago, my gpu started acting up. Its idle temperature was 45 C but now its 60C. If i were to minimize a window in Ubuntu, it will go up to 85 C. On windows it's slightly better but it still has the same problems (it'll jump to 75 C not 80C). (these problems are explained in detail in another thread which is still unsolved). Under very small loads it seems to be working really hard. Fan is doing its job and responding accordingly to the rise in temp.

I tested it out playing a game, its temperature goes up to high 70s (which is normal), but it's at exactly half the fps that I ran that same game before. Does anyone know what's going on? Drivers are all up to date.

dnazer

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
it's definitely thermal throttling ya. GPU-z shows me that under small loads it heats up a lot! So I think it's probably something to do with the thermal paste or the heat sink. You guys agree? And if it is the thermal paste is that replaceable in a laptop?