Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Time to upgrade! (Upgrade advice)

Last response: in Systems
December 12, 2011 5:03:41 AM

While I'm not sure if this is the actual section to post this, I was simply wondering if it was possible to slowly upgrade my system. Its a stock HP Pavilion p6360a.

Approximate Purchase Date: A few days before Christmas if possible.

Budget Range: $400 au, mostly on graphics card and case and most likely power supply.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, general web browsing.

Parts Not Required: Well, from my testing, the graphics card is the bottleneck, and therefore needs upgrading the most, hence the CPU, motherboard, RAM, screen, keyboard and everything else that doesn't need upgrading to fit a new graphics card.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: pccasegear.com

Parts Preferences: No preference, compatibility and effectiveness are the only restraints

Overclocking: Maybe, though I doubt it.

SLI or Crossfire: No.

Monitor Resolution:1920x1080
Additional Comments: I would really like to know if its possible, because I'm pretty sure the CPU and motherboard are on an outdated chipset and therefore simply swapping the graphics card is fraught with problems and I would likely be better getting an entire new pc. However, I lack the funding, therefore any way I can moderately cheaply upgrade the graphics card, case and power supply, and then the rest later would be amazing.

Full Specs, or as much as I can find in one place.

http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/b [...] ntver=true

Thank you :) 

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
December 12, 2011 7:04:40 AM

Case: Antec 300 or something similar for case ~$70 AUD

PSU: XFX Core Pro 650W ~$130 AUD

GPU: A video card Radeon 6870/6950 or GTX560/GTX560Ti - depending on what you can find for the remaining funds.
Techbuy.com.au has a standard leadtech 560Ti for 225, which seems to be a nice deal considering other similar cards are $300 or so.

6950 and 560Ti are enough to run 1920x1080 at very high settings.
6870 and 560 so the same for 1680x1050.

The 650W PSU is somewhat of an overkill already, but it would just suffice to run 6950 or 560Ti SLI eventually when you can afford to upgrade the rest. You will end up paying at least $80 or so to get a capable good quality PSU anyway, so might as well get a big enough now.
December 12, 2011 12:27:29 PM

And it would all be compatible? If yes, THANKYOU!
m
l
Related resources
December 12, 2011 1:07:35 PM

Your motherboard supports PCI-e 2.0 so the video cards will work fine. However you ony have ONE x16 slot so SLI/crossfire is out of the question. Get the most powerful single card solution you can afford that won't kill your PSU or get a combo PSU/video card solution to work in it.
m
l
December 12, 2011 11:47:25 PM

stubbies2003 said:
Your motherboard supports PCI-e 2.0 so the video cards will work fine. However you ony have ONE x16 slot so SLI/crossfire is out of the question. Get the most powerful single card solution you can afford that won't kill your PSU or get a combo PSU/video card solution to work in it.

I plan to get rid of the motherboard, cpu, RAM and anything else I no longer want in phase 2 :3
m
l
December 13, 2011 12:21:03 PM

Best answer selected by masman.
m
l
!