Computer Won't Start Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hablin

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012
Not sure where to post this, but my friends son has a refirbished Dell computer that will not go start up past the Dell logo screen. His father is too busy with work to mess with it right now. He told me that once it gets by the Dell logo screen nothing loads up, its just a black screen with a flashing line on the top.

I am not sure what his specs are, but I can get them in this post when I see him.

Solution
most likely it doesnt have an operating system on it

you can download a 30 day trial version of windows 7 off the internet.

i would sugest trying this or using your install disk from windows

if it installs and boot's. you need to go and buy a copy of windows or buy a license key online from microsoft

the keys cost about the same as a new copy of windows with a disk.

you may want to consider a retail copy over an oem version because they can easily be transferd to a new pc

(an oem version is only £20-30 cheaper but windows 8 looks rubish and most people will stick to 7 till windows 9 comes out. which probably wont be for another 4-5 years now
Try to exchange the battery on mobo. When battery is weak, this happens.

It is CR 2032.

http://pctechnotes.com/how-to-change-your-cmos-battery/
cmos_battery1.jpg

Hablin

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012
I told him about the reset and battery. Hes going to look at it tonight I think.
He did do a diagnostic and it came out nothing wrong. So I don't think its hardware.

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
most likely it doesnt have an operating system on it

you can download a 30 day trial version of windows 7 off the internet.

i would sugest trying this or using your install disk from windows

if it installs and boot's. you need to go and buy a copy of windows or buy a license key online from microsoft

the keys cost about the same as a new copy of windows with a disk.

you may want to consider a retail copy over an oem version because they can easily be transferd to a new pc

(an oem version is only £20-30 cheaper but windows 8 looks rubish and most people will stick to 7 till windows 9 comes out. which probably wont be for another 4-5 years now

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.