Few dilemmas left on my 1100$ first gaming build

sensei mk

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2011
Hi all

I've spent many hours researching up and down the net in the past week or two on the subject "limited budget gaming pc build". More or less, nearly 90% of the build is decided, I've just been left wandering about a few topics. That's where I would appreciate your advanced help, since I'm not much into hardware and new configuration building.

This is my build :

MOBO : Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3 LGA1155 - 180$
CPU : i5-2500k(I plan on OC it to 4700MHz) - 267$
GPU : Gigabyte GTX 560 Ti 1GB - 288$
RAM : 2x4GB Kingston 1333MHz - 53$
HDD : 3,5'' Hitachi 320GB(not a byte more :) ) - 66$
Monitor : 22'' LCD Samsung S22A300N LED Full HD - 142$
Case : I'm in doubts about this one, there are 3 links down this post to the potential cases ~ 60$
PSU : 650W Gamebird PSU8X-Real Power, PFC, Silent, 2*Fan 54$

Well, this is my idea. I needed a high performance gaming PC which will allow me to play the newest games in the next 2,3 years, ofcourse - with future buildups and improvements.
So I decided to go for a more expensive MOBO to provide more options for future builds, as well as SLI support.

My first doubt is the RAM memory - should I go for 2x4GB 1333MHz or 4GB 1866MHz(and add another one in future) - considering the fact that they are in the same price range - around 50$. I mean, is it worth, the second option ?

About the case, I understand I need a case which will provide my PC with good air flow and it has to be `spacy`. So I should pick one of these three:

http://www.anhoch.com/pcmarket/index.php?pid=32964
http://www.anhoch.com/pcmarket/index.php?pid=32374
http://www.anhoch.com/pcmarket/index.php?pid=10339

NOTE that the aesthetics is second to performance for me :)

Next, the PSU. This is the thing - I plan on OC the CPU to ~4700MHz and in future, I'll probably go for another 560Ti and SLI. According to the online PSU calculators(especially the advanced http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp calculator) the 650W PSU would be sufficient. My options are quite limited, due to the fact that I'm gonna buy all the parts from one store. And no, they don't have Corsair on the menu. Only Gigabyte, and the 750W version of the Gigabyte PSU is 3 times more expensive then the one in the build, the Gamebird. But that's what the Calculator says, what say you?

And my final Q, about the cooling. Since I plan on OC my CPU(maybe even GPU, which is less probable) should I get an additional cooler for the CPU? And what type of cooler would you suggest? If suggesting, plz just type down the performances of the cooler I should go for, cause as I said, there is a big chance the concrete one you might suggest not to be on the menu :)

The complete budget for this build is around 1100$, which exceeded my first idea by far(in my case "far" is 500$:) ), so I cannot afford a penny more.

I appreciate your tips and advises on my questions, and plz feel free to suggest anything.

And God I can't wait to start Skyriming :p

Tnx in advance, Darko

a4mula

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
My advice would be forget future sli. Drop to a p67 mobo take the savings and apply it towards either a 6970 or a 570. There's a few reasons for this. One, I've been down the road where you say I'll upgrade later... I never have. Second is microstutter that's associated with SLI/Crossfire. Third is the initial additional cost associated with an upgrade you might never make, between the mobo and psu you can save $100 that you can apply to a high end single card solution.

For a PSU I'd take a look at a name brand solution. I know it's easy to overlook the psu because it has no obvious performance benefit, but take it from someone that's lost an entire rig due to a no-name psu, don't skimp. You can find quality name brand psu's in the same price range that you're currently considering such as the Antec 520 80+

As far as memory goes. Just pick the cheapest set that's on your mobo's QVL. While memory can play a part of very high-end overclocking it's not something that will limit you in 99% of cases.

As for an aftermarket heatsink/fan. Yeah if you're going to overclock you need to upgrade. Depending on how aggressive you want to get with it I'd recommend either the:

Cooler Master 212+ $25.99 - as an entry level product that holds it's own

or

Noctua NH-D14 $84.99 - arguably the single best air cooler on the market, for more aggressive oc'ing. If you do go this route keep in mind that you'll likely need low profile memory and a case that will support a hsf of this size.

sensei mk

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2011

1. Tnx for the tips, I will surely consider it. Will this MOBO work its way :
http://www.anhoch.com/pcmarket/index.php?pid=32917 ? If I get this, I will probably go for the GTX570

2. I have. But, Im with limited options unfortunately. As I said, my choice is down to Gamebird and Gigabyte(the second is 3x more expensive). So I'll have to go with the Gamebird...

3. Well, if that is the case, I guess I'll go with the 2 x 4GB 1333MHz Kingstons.

4. I will OC probably, so I will have to check the offers in the store, about the coolers. Probably I will go with master cooler.

Tnx for the reply mate, you've earned yourself a beer there :)

a4mula

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
Yeah, one of the nice things about mobos since p55 has been that there's really very little variance between them when it comes to overclocking. The only feature you'd have to look at with p67 would be x8/x8 lanes but if you decide not to sli then that doesn't even matter and you can literally go with the cheapest board you can find. Personally I'd still stick with the big names (asus, gigabyte, msi ect) but at the end of the day it really just boils down to what you have available in your area.