Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Choosing A Motherboard

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
January 23, 2013 12:51:47 AM

Hey everyone, am trying to chose a motherboard for my first build and have decided to buy an ASUS motherboard because everyone says they are good quality.

I am trying to decided between:
1) ASUS P8Z77-V LK Link: http://www.playtech.co.nz/afawcs0139235/CATID=599/ID=17...
2) Asus P8H77-M PRO Link: http://www.playtech.co.nz/afawcs0139235/CATID=601/ID=17...

I'm thinking of going with the mATX board because from what I can tell the only difference is it could be worse for SLI/Crossfire but as I don't plan on doing that at all I'm not concerned. Also the mATX board is ~$60 cheaper and from what I can tell has all the features of the ATX one.

Basically what I'm asking is, are there any drawbacks to owning a mATX board compared to a ATX board apart from SLI/Crossfire???

Thanks in advance :D 

More about : choosing motherboard

a c 152 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
January 23, 2013 1:09:13 AM

I happen to like micro-ATX motherboards since I feel it provides for a little more room in the build (sometimes helpful in smaller mid-tower cases). Unless you need the 3 or 4 PCIe slots or other feature only found on a full size board, I'm of the feeling micro-ATX is just fine.
Hope it helps
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
January 23, 2013 1:13:59 AM

I agree with C12Friedman. Micro-ATX boards are fine if you don't need more than 7 expansion slot. No actual drawbacks other than that really.
m
0
l
Related resources
January 23, 2013 1:14:29 AM

No, I find that the motherboard is the best place to cheap out on.
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
January 23, 2013 1:20:15 AM

what's the CPU you're getting? if you're getting an i5-3570K/i7-3770K, the Z77 boards are your only choice if you want to overclock.

if you're grabbing a non-K CPU like an i3, i5-3470/3450/3330,etc., with no interest to overclock, get an H77 board.

mATX cons in your case; depending on the layout of the board's onboard ports and planned PCI/PCIe parts installed, wiring and/or ports accessibility can be an issue. other than that, your OCing capability isn't going to do well against an ATX equivalent.
m
0
l
January 23, 2013 1:40:43 AM

Hazle said:
what's the CPU you're getting? if you're getting an i5-3570K/i7-3770K, the Z77 boards are your only choice if you want to overclock.

if you're grabbing a non-K CPU like an i3, i5-3470/3450/3330,etc., with no interest to overclock, get an H77 board.

mATX cons in your case; depending on the layout of the board's onboard ports and planned PCI/PCIe parts installed, wiring and/or ports accessibility can be an issue. other than that, your OCing capability isn't going to do well against an ATX equivalent.


I am getting a 3570k, the mATX board I listed is H77 so would that mean I will be able to overclock fine?
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
January 23, 2013 1:45:16 AM

DelightfulDucklings said:
I am getting a 3570k, the mATX board I listed is H77 so would that mean I will be able to overclock fine?


No. You'll need a Z77 motherboard like the ASUS P8Z77-V LK or basically any Z77 motherboard. Overclocking capability varies between motherboards though.
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
January 23, 2013 1:49:44 AM

Yeah that's fine.
m
0
l

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
January 23, 2013 1:51:11 AM

DelightfulDucklings said:
I am getting a 3570k, the mATX board I listed is H77 so would that mean I will be able to overclock fine?


you'll be limited with overclocking only the base clock; you'll only gain very little and it can cause instability with the system, so i highly advise you don't do this. So you have some choices;

a) getting a Z77 board to unlock the OCing potential of that 3570K, and your money's worth from that CPU
b) getting an H77 + 3570K, and not get your money's worth off the 3570K
c) getting an H77 + i5-3470/3450, and get your money's worth.
d) getting a cheap Z75 board + 3470K, with no guarantee to the quality of the board.
Share
January 23, 2013 1:51:35 AM

EzioAs said:
Yeah that's fine.


Ok thanks, sorry about the miss-read. Just wanted to verify that there were no problems with buying a mATX board and I don't see any problems now

m
0
l
January 23, 2013 1:53:55 AM

Hazle said:
you'll be limited with overclocking only the base clock; you'll only gain very little and it can cause instability with the system, so i highly advise you don't do this. So you have some choices;

a) getting a Z77 board to unlock the OCing potential of that 3570K, and your money's worth from that CPU
b) getting an H77 + 3570K, and not get your money's worth off the 3570K
c) getting an H77 + i5-3470/3450, and get your money's worth.
d) getting a cheap Z75 board + 3470K, with no guarantee to the quality of the board.


I will be going with option a thankfully. There is a Z77 board from Gigabyte that is actually $5 cheaper than the H77 board I was looking at from Asus so I will get the Z77 and happily overclock away :D 

Thanks for the tips
m
0
l
!