Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New Build - Video Editing System

Last response: in Systems
December 12, 2011 8:23:36 AM

Approximate Purchase Date: next week

Budget Range: $2000 AUD

System Usage from Most to Least Important: HD Video editing using Vegas HD 11, BF3 gaming, multiple virtual machines for development

Parts Not Required: N/A

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Australian based websites

Parts Preferences: Intel CPU and Samsung HDD

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Monitor Resolution: as high as possible

Additional Comments: What do you think about the following configuration? Can I get a better mobo? A better case? Should I get a 1xGTX580 or 2xGTX570's with SLI?

Intel Core i7 2700K Processor LGA1155 3.5GHz CPU
Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3R Z68 4DDR3 RAID GLAN PCIE16 SATA3 USB3 ATX HDMI
2 Kingston 8G(2x4G) DDR3 1600MHz CL9 HyperX
1 Kingston 120G HyperX SSD SATA 3
2 Western Digital 1TB SATA3 64M(WD1002FAEX)
1 CoolerMaster GX750W PSU 80+ Bronze Certified
1 Antec Three Hundred Tower Gaming Case- Black NO PSU
1 Pioneer BDR-206BK 12X Blu-Ray Writer Drive SATA Black OEM
1 Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit OEM
1 Gigabyte GTX580 1536Mb PCI Express
2 Asus VE247H 23.6"Wide 2ms D-Sub DVI-D HDMI

Your help kindly appreciated
December 12, 2011 3:16:18 PM

I assume the SSD is for OS and swap file, the hard drives in a RAID for video files. Also depends on how your video is compressed....
m
l
December 12, 2011 4:00:07 PM

so you want a computer for mostly video editing but you only spec out 8gb of ram but a 500 gpu?

id get 16gb of ram ditch the 2700k for a 2600k cause the 50 dollars extra is a waste. id get a psu thats not going to crap out on you(ie corsair seasonic antec) and id also get a cpu cooler to overclock.

id also recommend a more future proof motherboard that has pci 3.0
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...
m
l
Related resources
December 12, 2011 4:37:10 PM

True..
Put down the 2700k and get the 2600k. (LGA 1155)
If performance is THAT important, you should think about the Sandy Bridge-E, LGA 2011. Look for cheapest six-core.

DO NOT get anything less than 16GB ram memory. DDR3 1600 is not necessary, if cheaper, go for the DDR3 1333.
m
l
December 12, 2011 4:42:56 PM

Dump the Win 7 Ultimate and go for Win 7 Pro. Ultimate will not offer you anything tangible. Ultimate has bit locker and more language options and that is about it really. If you speak English and download Truecrypt (which is free as well as awesome) then you seriously do not require Ultimate.

As cbrunnem said get the 2600 K and get 16 GB of RAM. There are boards out there that are ready to take 32 GB RAM and you may want to check that out. That is where Win 7 Pro comes in. Home Premium can only see 16 GB of RAM Max.
m
l
December 13, 2011 2:13:54 AM

Thanks all, i like your suggestions. I actually quoted 2 Kingston 8G(2x4G) which was 16GB but I will definately step back to the 2600k CPU and Windows 7 Pro.

The SSD is definately for the System and some apps, while the Raid is for AVHCD video.

I thought the motherboard (Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3R) had support for PCI3?

Any recomendatoins on a better case for this system? I would like some scalability and a very solid build.
m
l
December 13, 2011 3:26:44 AM

I have had some issues with Gigabyte Boards. You may want to look at ASUS.
m
l

Best solution

December 13, 2011 9:49:10 AM

Memory does NOT make that much difference in video editing. In many cases you'll either max out your drives or your CPU before you max out the memory. Editing programs stream clips from the hard drive as needed, and don't load massive amounts of video into memory.

Guidelines:

uncompressed video: you're likely to run out of drive speed before anything else. A single stream of 24p 1080 HD, 8-bit sampling, is 94 MB/s. Two streams to make a transition, and the random access necessary to read two streams (AND write the output stream) and you end up very close to overwhelming even a RAID of modern, nice drives.

Somewhat compressed video (i.e. DVCPro100 HD): requires less drive speed to stream the footage, and less CPU to decompress and recompress

Highly compressed video (i.e. AVCHD, etc): Since the data rate is comparatively low (the best AVCHD quality-wise is only 28 megabits per second, or 3.5 MB/s) you're likely to run out of processor before running out of drive speed, since the processor has to decompress the input streams and compress the output stream. If your editing software uses GPU-accelerated decompression and compression of AVCHD (Vegas does), then your graphics card becomes just as important as CPU

In any of the three cases, notice I didn't say that you needed 16 GB of memory. The 2 GB boundary for editing projects only existed for long-form editing (i.e. cutting a feature-length film) and once that was passed, it largely hasn't been a problem. If your editing software likes to cache large amounts of things in RAM ( most don't) then you *may* have a ram problem.
December 19, 2011 11:24:08 PM

Best answer selected by mjeaslea.
m
l
!