Sign in with
Your question

AMD Phenom II X4 955 vs Intel Core i7 2600K sandy bridge/

Last response: in CPUs
March 17, 2012 3:09:28 PM

I know the i7 is faster but how much faster?

Here is my system as it is now.

AMD Phenom II X4 955 - 3.8GHz
Corsair Vengeance 16 GB - does not run at 1600. mobo wont support the speed.

mobo
ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 - AMD 880G - Socket AM3

GPU
gtx 580 gainward - bottlenecks due to CPU, i was told.

--------------------------------------------------------

Here is the upgrade
Core i7 2600K - 3.8GHz

Asus P8Z68-V LX Motherboard (Socket 1155 - supports 1600 speed for RAM

Corsair Vengeance 16 GB - 1600

gtx 580 gainward
I guess with the mobo and the CPU i will get full power out of the RAM and the GPU wont bottleneck so it will be faster but how much faster?
a c 186 à CPUs
a b À AMD
March 17, 2012 4:04:11 PM

Thats not a good motherboard to be using with your 2600k, at least a p8z68-v/gen 3
Related resources
a b à CPUs
March 17, 2012 4:20:10 PM

amuffin said:
Thats not a good motherboard to be using with your 2600k, at least a p8z68-v/gen 3

actually it would be a fine motherboard to use. as long as you are not overclocking and dont need the extra usb ports

there are plenty of usb headers on the motherboard so you can always put in either an add in card or use a card reader with a load of usb ports on it

personally id wait now for ivy bridge to come out e.g. i5 3xxx cpu's

they will come out soon and it will drop the price of i5 2500 and i7 2600. or you could get the ivy bridge cpus instead

(they have put on there website that a bios update will support ivy bridge cpu's BUT it does no have pci-e 3.0 like some motherboards)

personally if its not much more go for a board with pci-e 3.0
a c 186 à CPUs
a b À AMD
March 17, 2012 4:22:26 PM

Actually prices of sandybridge won't drop even with ivy out, look at the prices of 1st gen core series cpu's. Also the board does not support sli/cf where as the asrock z68 extreme 3 gen 3 supports it and is much better quality for a few more.
March 17, 2012 4:26:02 PM

amuffin said:
Actually prices of sandybridge won't drop even with ivy out, look at the prices of 1st gen core series cpu's. Also the board does not support sli/cf where as the asrock z68 extreme 3 gen 3 supports it and is much better quality for a few more.

Will this mobo be ok if you overclock the CPU to 3.8GHz?
March 17, 2012 4:31:24 PM

jamie6747 said:
Will this mobo be ok if you overclock the CPU to 3.8GHz?

that board will be fine, and if you want to overclock you should be able to get at least 4ghz as long as you have a decent cooler
a c 186 à CPUs
a b À AMD
March 17, 2012 4:42:04 PM

I have the higher end version of the extreme series, the z68 extreme 4 gen 3. It sits at 4.7ghz with no problems.
March 17, 2012 4:42:14 PM

megadelayed said:
that board will be fine, and if you want to overclock you should be able to get at least 4ghz as long as you have a decent cooler

Nice, i dont go above 3.8GHz but will have a COOLER MASTER RR-212E-16PK-R1 Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler be ok for 4GHz? I use the same one on the AMD CPU i have now and it runs on low tamps.
a c 186 à CPUs
a b À AMD
March 17, 2012 4:43:54 PM

212 EVO Is awesome, my 2600k @4.7ghz only sits at 58C after 5 hours of OCCT.
a b à CPUs
March 17, 2012 4:57:42 PM

i7-2600k@3.4ghz (with ht) equals 955@5.7ghz
March 17, 2012 5:11:21 PM

truegenius said:
i7-2600k@3.4ghz (with ht) equals 955@5.7ghz

it will be twice as fast? to the CPU i have now @3.8? overclock the i7 to 3.8Ghz
March 17, 2012 5:18:19 PM

In gaming you will never tell the difference on the desktop it's debatable but for most people they can get away with spending a bit less on the Phenom II platform while supplies last and they would never know the diff tell them they have an i7 LOL.
a b à CPUs
March 17, 2012 5:18:47 PM

Any bottlenecks you might have with a GTX 580 (if you're running @ 1080p on a 60 Hz monitor) on a PII X4 @ 3.8 Ghz are inconsequential. Of course you'll get better performance with an i7, but if you turn up quality settings pretty high and have vertical sync on your games the difference isn't going to bowl you over.
a c 186 à CPUs
a b À AMD
March 17, 2012 5:19:09 PM

Only in gaming^^ But in actual workstation apps, ht seriously signs.
a b à CPUs
March 17, 2012 5:26:19 PM

i7@3.8-3.9ghz(with ht) equals 2X 955@3.2 in heavily threaded tasks (to be precise)
March 17, 2012 5:29:27 PM

amuffin said:
Only in gaming^^ But in actual workstation apps, ht seriously signs.

I see lag on some games when i have the settings on full, Will that lag be eliminated with the new CPU?
March 17, 2012 5:33:29 PM

jeffredo said:
Any bottlenecks you might have with a GTX 580 (if you're running @ 1080p on a 60 Hz monitor) on a PII X4 @ 3.8 Ghz are inconsequential. Of course you'll get better performance with an i7, but if you turn up quality settings pretty high and have vertical sync on your games the difference isn't going to bowl you over.

60 fps on AMD is 60fps on Intel LOL
a b à CPUs
March 17, 2012 6:20:06 PM

Demon slayer said:
In gaming you will never tell the difference on the desktop it's debatable but for most people they can get away with spending a bit less on the Phenom II platform while supplies last and they would never know the diff tell them they have an i7 LOL.

I have a couple of AMD systems, a 920 PII, and a 956 BE, and I have a I have a 2600K.
THERE IS NO COMPARISON TO BE MADE.
The Intel build will simply wipe the floor with the either of the 2 AMD systems, with the exact same GPU. To say that the Intel build is twice as fast, for gaming, no. But for a lot of other tasks......for certain that is a big "yes"....... it is almost an understatement.

Now, are AMD processors fast enough for gaming, yes you can play modern games with a modern AMD processor running at 3ghz or more and a high end GPU configuration and be happy. But do not believe for one minute there is no detectable difference, because there is quite a difference even in games.
March 17, 2012 6:26:52 PM

jitpublisher said:
I have a couple of AMD systems, a 920 PII, and a 956 BE, and I have a I have a 2600K.
THERE IS NO COMPARISON TO BE MADE.
The Intel build will simply wipe the floor with the either of the 2 AMD systems, with the exact same GPU. To say that the Intel build is twice as fast, for gaming, no. But for a lot of other tasks......for certain that is a big "yes"....... it is almost an understatement.

Now, are AMD processors fast enough for gaming, yes you can play modern games with a modern AMD processor running at 3ghz or more and a high end GPU configuration and be happy. But do not believe for one minute there is no detectable difference, because there is quite a difference even in games.

Sure ^ Bud.
a c 127 à CPUs
a b À AMD
March 17, 2012 6:39:06 PM

jamie6747 said:
I see lag on some games when i have the settings on full, Will that lag be eliminated with the new CPU?

Yes. I was playing Skyrim on a QX6850 @ 3.5GHz (equal to a Phenom II @ 3.5GHz) and a HD5870. I was getting lag in some areas like Whiterun and the snowy areas.

I went to a 2500K, 16GB of Corsair Vengance and a P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3 and now I play at the same settings with the HD Texture pack and no lag anywhere. It also made the load times much faster even though its still on the exact same RAID0 setup I had in my old board/CPU/RAM setup.

Of course I also have it overclocked to 4.5GHz but even at stock the 2500K or 2600K will wake up your GTX580.

I would suggest going with the 2500K and invest the extra $100 into the mobo. Get the P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3 with the same RAM and overclock the CPU to about 4GHz. Should be able to do it on stock voltage.
March 17, 2012 6:54:54 PM

jimmysmitty said:
Yes. I was playing Skyrim on a QX6850 @ 3.5GHz (equal to a Phenom II @ 3.5GHz) and a HD5870. I was getting lag in some areas like Whiterun and the snowy areas.

I went to a 2500K, 16GB of Corsair Vengance and a P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3 and now I play at the same settings with the HD Texture pack and no lag anywhere. It also made the load times much faster even though its still on the exact same RAID0 setup I had in my old board/CPU/RAM setup.

Of course I also have it overclocked to 4.5GHz but even at stock the 2500K or 2600K will wake up your GTX580.

I would suggest going with the 2500K and invest the extra $100 into the mobo. Get the P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3 with the same RAM and overclock the CPU to about 4GHz. Should be able to do it on stock voltage.

You might want to state that Skyrim is one of the few that runs better on Intel
a b à CPUs
March 17, 2012 7:50:29 PM

Again, an i7 2600k is going to be better in every respect than an Phenom II. There's no question there. A Phenom II X4 @ 3.8 Ghz absolutely CAN handle a GTX 580. Not as well as the Intel, but its not like its sitting in the AMD rig totally useless.

I tried a Galaxy triple fan GTX 580 last fall in my PC Phenom II X4 955 @ 3.6 Ghz. I didn't keep it because it was too large for my small Lian Li case and was blocking airflow and running hot. But I did benchmark it against a GTX 460 1GB (OC'd to 875 Mhz). It was running the current RPGs I play about 25% faster at higher quality settings. If it was CPU bottlenecked it would have showed little increase. There are CPU intensive areas where it slowed down a bit (like Skyrim cities before the current patches and fixes), but all in all it ran all my games maxed at a much better FPS (and I'm 200 Mhz lower than the O.P.).

If the O.P. can afford the i7 upgrade, hell yeah get it! Wish I could! :lol: 
March 17, 2012 7:52:26 PM

jeffredo said:
Again, an i7 2600k is going to be better in every respect than an Phenom II. There's no question there. A Phenom II X4 @ 3.8 Ghz absolutely CAN handle a GTX 580. Not as well as the Intel, but its not like its sitting in the AMD rig totally useless.

I tried a Galaxy triple fan GTX 580 last fall in my PC Phenom II X4 955 @ 3.6 Ghz. I didn't keep it because it was too large for my small Lian Li case and was blocking airflow and running hot. But I did benchmark it against a GTX 460 1GB (OC'd to 875 Mhz). It was running the current RPGs I play about 25% faster at higher quality settings. If it was CPU bottlenecked it would have showed little increase. There are CPU intensive areas where it slowed down a bit (like Skyrim cities before the current patches and fixes), but all in all it ran all my games maxed at a much better FPS (and I'm 200 Mhz lower than the O.P.).

If the O.P. can afford the i7 upgrade, hell yeah get it! Wish I could! :lol: 

Once again Intel is just to say you got it and AMD just works and gets the job done. The only thing Intel is need or good for is if it is an investment into your company for work purposes to make you money or if you are running a high end dual graphics solution and a single 1080P monitor to play games.
March 17, 2012 9:44:56 PM

Demon slayer said:
WTF LOL beats me seems like a CPU thing are you on a laptop there.

PC
a c 186 à CPUs
a b À AMD
March 17, 2012 11:29:57 PM

mmorpg takes higher cpu frequency, as more buildings/characters are created/calculated the slower the system is.
March 18, 2012 12:12:30 AM

amuffin said:
mmorpg takes higher cpu frequency, as more buildings/characters are created/calculated the slower the system is.

Thats a real low end graphically speaking game we are talking about so I sure OP rig would have to be very low power to not run this game smooth or it's just a bug of some sort.
March 18, 2012 12:13:06 AM

jamie6747 said:
PC

Specs please.
March 18, 2012 12:59:57 AM

Demon slayer said:
Specs please.

top of the thread
March 18, 2012 1:03:47 AM

amuffin said:

its strange it only happens when i view one side of the house, the left, that side having custom content, but its not as clouted as the right,

a b à CPUs
March 18, 2012 2:32:58 AM

Phenom II will not bottleneck a single GTX 580.

The i7 (I'd prefer an i5-2500k if you aren't going to be doing anything CPU heavy besides gaming, as they'll perform the same [in gaming]) is going to leave you MUCH more headroom for future GPUs than the Phenom II (such as SLI GTX 580s when you need it).

Another thing, 7970 is out and IMO is better price/performance than the GTX 580 even after the price drop, thanks to its extremely high overclocking headroom.
March 18, 2012 3:01:02 AM

Raidur said:
Phenom II will not bottleneck a single GTX 580.

The i7 (I'd prefer an i5-2500k if you aren't going to be doing anything CPU heavy besides gaming, as they'll perform the same [in gaming]) is going to leave you MUCH more headroom for future GPUs than the Phenom II (such as SLI GTX 580s when you need it).

Another thing, 7970 is out and IMO is better price/performance than the GTX 580 even after the price drop, thanks to its extremely high overclocking headroom.

Is 2 GPU's really worth it? its over kill. unless your a ultra gamer
a b à CPUs
March 18, 2012 5:54:10 AM

Demon slayer said:

Simply not true (not only from my experience there are videos on YouTube with others mentioning much the same). If you've ever used a true i7 system for say everyday use (multiple windows, extracting large rar files, watching movies on dual screens etc) you'd notice the difference.

An i7 system just runs everything, simultaneously, much more efficiently. Seemless almost. AMD rigs tend to have issues with this (I've tried an i7 920 and a Phenom II X4 955 in this role) by having frequent slow downs during this sort of use. It's the difference between a totally seemless desktop experience and one that sorta chugs along.

Not sure why it is the case but it is under these kinds of uses.

For gaming, however, you won't notice a difference.
!