Sign in with
Your question

Future Computer Building Endeavors

Last response: in Systems
December 12, 2011 10:18:24 AM

Hello all,

I've lurked around these forums long enough and have decided to actually post and see if I can get some feedback! I'm interested in building a new PC with a budget under $1,000.00 (preferably substantially lower, maybe 750-800 range), most likely within the next 6 months. This may seem like a wall of text but I am trying to be a bit more informative than the "derp make me a computer", and avoid any trolling!

Main purposes and desires:
1. Wow on high settings
2. Playing games in the future at a high if not maximum level quality.
3. Simple Schoolwork.
4. Upgradable

Main issue that I need help with is:
I consider myself knowledgeable in the tech area, but I worry that I'm just throwing together parts that may not be compatible. Also, I do not know where I can go cheaper without sacrificing some level of future proofing. I have had bad experiences (albeit with storeboughts) of not being able to upgrade features and thus having to buy an entirely new system.

What I've looked at so far can me seen here, on my Amazon wishlist
Note: I wont be buying everything from Amazon, those are simply a list of parts that I've been looking at

CASE Cooler Master HAF 912 Mid Tower ATX Case (RC-912-KKN1)
PSU Corsair Enthusiast Series 650-Watt 80 Plus Bronze Certified Power Supply Compatible with Intel Core i3, i5, i7 and AMD platforms - CMPSU-650TXV2C{
CPU FAN Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler, RR-B10-212P-G1
CPU Intel Core i5-2500K Processor
GPU EVGA GeForce GTX 560 1024 MB GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 2DVI/Mini-HDMI SLI Ready Graphics Card, 01G-P3-1460-KR
MOBO Gigabyte Intel Z68 ATX DDR3 2133 LGA 1155 Motherboards GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3​
RAM 8GB G.Skill DDR3 PC3-12800 1600MHz Ripjaw Series (9-9-9-24) Dual Channel kit for Intel LGA1156/AM3
HD Western Digital Caviar Black 750 GB SATA III 7200 RPM 64 MB Bulk/OEM Internal Desktop Hard Drive - WD7502AAEX
DVD Asus 24xDVD±RW Drive DVD-RAM/±R/±RW 24x8x16x(DVD) 48x32x48x(CD) Serial ATA Internal OEM DRW-24B1ST (Black)

From everything I've read, the i-2500k seems to be the only way to go for CPU's in terms of price/performance. Everything else is still somewhat in the air! I've always been Nvidia but if i can get a graphics card that fits my purpose for cheaper I'm not a closed minded individual. I know almost nothing about motherboards other than they determine a lot about the future proofing of your system. RAM is fairly simple but how much do you REALLY need? I figure 8 GB is standard for high settings. PSU's are also an area I have little knowledge of, is it better to give it some leeway or just whatever the system needs?

TLDR:
Look at the wishlist
Tell me if those parts are compatible
Are there places that i can downgrade and still play present day games at a high level (with the purpose of upgrading them in the future)
Over the next 6 months are there times to buy certain parts that may be cheaper than others?
-Are there expected price drops coming soon on any of them?
Any feedback in regards to any of these concerns would be very appreciated! This is a rather huge project that I've always wanted to take on and I would like to get it right!
a b B Homebuilt system
December 12, 2011 10:38:05 AM

your RAM is wrong its needs to be a 240 pin for the 1155 motherboard, make sure its dual channel, 1.5V, DDR3 1600mhz

Change your motherboard to the ASRock Z68 (or P67 since you dont have an SSD) Extreme3 Gen3 (also supports SLI)

PSU if you plan to SLI down the road get a 750W if you dont want to get a 600W (if you dont want to SLI you can also lower the motherboard down to ~$110). Antec, Corsair, SilverStone, OCZ are good brand names PSU to go with,

I play WoW myself, its more CPU intensive then GPU the 2500k will provide you with about 100+ FPS .
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/CPU/62
m
l
December 12, 2011 10:48:56 AM

Is there a brief explanation of SLI that you could give me, or perhaps a link explaining the benefits/costs? I only use 1 monitor (I have a laptop if I decide I need to watch something or browse while I play), does that come into play at all?

If I can get the motherboard down to ~$110 that would be great! However, how long does that give me in terms of upgradability, will there be compatibility issues in the next couple of years if i get the money to buy a better graphics card or additional ram?
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
December 13, 2011 1:46:29 AM

SLI/CF means adding more then 1 GPU (Nvidia=SLI, HD(AMD)=CF)

By adding more gpus you can boost your FPS but there is always a chance that microstuttering may occur (means during a game the game might stutter for a little bit).

m
l
December 13, 2011 3:05:54 AM

From what I have looked into, I will not be taking the SLI path as it seems to be more expensive than what is necessary for me.

One side question: Is a CPU cooler necessary to get immediately, especially if I don't see myself needing to overclock in the near future?
m
l
!