eman5511

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013
I bought a Lenovo Z570 with:

-Intel i3 Sandy Bridge processor,
-4g of DDR3 ram
-Lenovo Emerald Lake Motherboard
-Intel Integrated Grapics (1814mBytes)
I want to upgrade the GPU specifically, but if that is only possible by upgrading the CPU than thats fine by me. Most importantly, can i add a higher- end graphics card either externally or internally? (Preferably nVidia)

Solution

Well I do not think that dedicated gpus can be added to a laptop leaving some rare cases. Changing the CPU will make you go up to hd4000 from your current hd4000 but let me tell me before hand that if you are a gamer or a multimedia professional that change will be negligible.You can contact lenevo for adding the gpu to be sure but I Think the answer would be...

SPEED94

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012

Well I do not think that dedicated gpus can be added to a laptop leaving some rare cases. Changing the CPU will make you go up to hd4000 from your current hd4000 but let me tell me before hand that if you are a gamer or a multimedia professional that change will be negligible.You can contact lenevo for adding the gpu to be sure but I Think the answer would be no.

Solution

SPEED94

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012
No problem - glad to help. Anyway in my previous post I mistyped. Your current GPU is HD 3000.But yes the conclusion remains the same. HD4000 upgrade would be negligible in Graphics intensive games.

eman5511

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013
Anyways, i did some more extensive research, and found out that rPGA 988B socket that is used by the Sandy Bridge line of processors is also available on the Ivy bridge. Unfortunately, with the Haswell line that comes out this June, the rPGA 988B socket is no longer supported.

In short, the Ivy Bridge line is backwards-compatible with the Sandy Bridge line.