All This PSP Discussion...

Last response: in Video Games
April 25, 2005 12:11:04 PM

....has overshadowed Sony's best release of the year.

God of War

I suppose I'm just as guilty since I'm only now getting around to
playing it myself but jebus, the game is flat out amazing. Top-notch
production values, great graphics and a refreshing battle/combo system.
I know some folks have complained that its too short, and altho I've
only got a little over four hours into it, it feels much longer. I
guess that's what happens when you remove time-consuming backtracking
and tedious diversions out of a game and only cram in heavy-duty action
sprinkled with useful and clever puzzles.

This also is a statement that Sony's first party development houses
mean business and are here to stay. ICO, Mark of Kri and now God of
War. That's a damn fine looking resume.

Move over Stranger's Wrath, there is a new GOTY for 2005.

More about : psp discussion

Anonymous
April 25, 2005 3:25:58 PM

Tons of fun! I'm at the 4 hour mark myself and really enjoying it. I
generally despise games with any puzzles at all, but the puzzles here are
generally quite simple and rewarding to go through. Biggest aggrevation thus
far was figuring out how to jump off a wall-climb to the other side.

Anyway, I didn't think the graphic quality level was possible from the PS2,
very impressive! Makes me wish I had another HD input on my LCD to really
enjoy it!

Matt

"Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote in message
> ...has overshadowed Sony's best release of the year.
>
> God of War
>
> I suppose I'm just as guilty since I'm only now getting around to
> playing it myself but jebus, the game is flat out amazing. Top-notch
> production values, great graphics and a refreshing battle/combo system.
> I know some folks have complained that its too short, and altho I've
> only got a little over four hours into it, it feels much longer. I
> guess that's what happens when you remove time-consuming backtracking
> and tedious diversions out of a game and only cram in heavy-duty action
> sprinkled with useful and clever puzzles.
>
> This also is a statement that Sony's first party development houses
> mean business and are here to stay. ICO, Mark of Kri and now God of
> War. That's a damn fine looking resume.
>
> Move over Stranger's Wrath, there is a new GOTY for 2005.

Anonymous
April 25, 2005 3:41:14 PM

"Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote in message
> ...has overshadowed Sony's best release of the year.
>
> God of War
>
> I suppose I'm just as guilty since I'm only now getting around to
> playing it myself but jebus, the game is flat out amazing. Top-notch
> production values, great graphics and a refreshing battle/combo system.
> I know some folks have complained that its too short, and altho I've
> only got a little over four hours into it, it feels much longer. I
> guess that's what happens when you remove time-consuming backtracking
> and tedious diversions out of a game and only cram in heavy-duty action
> sprinkled with useful and clever puzzles.
>
> This also is a statement that Sony's first party development houses
> mean business and are here to stay. ICO, Mark of Kri and now God of
> War. That's a damn fine looking resume.
>
> Move over Stranger's Wrath, there is a new GOTY for 2005.

Amazing game, no doubt about it.
My only gripe is the cropping in 16:9.
But it's only a small gripe because I have auto zoom and I just blow up the
picture.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
April 25, 2005 4:25:03 PM

Fred Liken wrote:
> "massivegrooves" <massivegrooves@massivegrooves.net> wrote in message

> > At this point it is EASILY GOTY for 2005. Don't see much else that
might
> > take its position either...only thing I see might be the ICO
sequel.

> Zelda? I'd say that'd be a contender, but it'll also be hard for
that to
> live up to expectations at this point.

Yep, Zelda could be a strong possibility plus I personally haven't
played Jade Empire, Psychonauts or even Chaos Theory yet but so far
they will have to really impress me to overtake GoW.
Anonymous
April 25, 2005 5:14:15 PM

Boody Bandit wrote:
> "Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote in message
>
>>...has overshadowed Sony's best release of the year.
>>
>>God of War
>>
>>I suppose I'm just as guilty since I'm only now getting around to
>>playing it myself but jebus, the game is flat out amazing. Top-notch
>>production values, great graphics and a refreshing battle/combo system.
>> I know some folks have complained that its too short, and altho I've
>>only got a little over four hours into it, it feels much longer. I
>>guess that's what happens when you remove time-consuming backtracking
>>and tedious diversions out of a game and only cram in heavy-duty action
>>sprinkled with useful and clever puzzles.
>>
>>This also is a statement that Sony's first party development houses
>>mean business and are here to stay. ICO, Mark of Kri and now God of
>>War. That's a damn fine looking resume.
>>
>>Move over Stranger's Wrath, there is a new GOTY for 2005.
>

> Amazing game, no doubt about it.
> My only gripe is the cropping in 16:9.
> But it's only a small gripe because I have auto zoom and I just blow up the
> picture.

At this point it is EASILY GOTY for 2005. Don't see much else that might
take its position either...only thing I see might be the ICO sequel.
Anonymous
April 25, 2005 5:14:16 PM

"massivegrooves" <massivegrooves@massivegrooves.net> wrote in message

> At this point it is EASILY GOTY for 2005. Don't see much else that might
> take its position either...only thing I see might be the ICO sequel.

Zelda? I'd say that'd be a contender, but it'll also be hard for that to
live up to expectations at this point.
Anonymous
April 25, 2005 7:36:54 PM

> Fred Liken wrote:
>> "massivegrooves" <massivegrooves@massivegrooves.net> wrote in message

>> > At this point it is EASILY GOTY for 2005. Don't see much else that
> might
>> > take its position either...only thing I see might be the ICO
> sequel.
>>
>> Zelda? I'd say that'd be a contender, but it'll also be hard for
> that to
>> live up to expectations at this point.
>
> Yep, Zelda could be a strong possibility plus I personally haven't
> played Jade Empire, Psychonauts or even Chaos Theory yet but so far
> they will have to really impress me to overtake GoW.

Not trying to be funny but Fantastic Four might surprise quite a few people.
So far, every game clip I have seen looks ridiculous.
Anonymous
April 25, 2005 10:30:29 PM

Robert P Holley wrote:

> ...has overshadowed Sony's best release of the year.
>
> God of War

IAWTP. This one definitely lands in my top PS2 games of all time, next to
Ico and my beloved Frequency.

> Move over Stranger's Wrath, there is a new GOTY for 2005.

I just wasn't that blown away by Stranger's Wrath, but then I didn't play
all the way through it. Maybe I'll go back to it someday. Tho given the
steady stream of releases lately, that may be never.

-Z-
Anonymous
April 25, 2005 10:53:42 PM

"Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote in message
> ...has overshadowed Sony's best release of the year.
>
> God of War
>
> I suppose I'm just as guilty since I'm only now getting around to
> playing it myself but jebus, the game is flat out amazing. Top-notch
> production values, great graphics and a refreshing battle/combo system.
> I know some folks have complained that its too short, and altho I've
> only got a little over four hours into it, it feels much longer. I
> guess that's what happens when you remove time-consuming backtracking
> and tedious diversions out of a game and only cram in heavy-duty action
> sprinkled with useful and clever puzzles.
>
> This also is a statement that Sony's first party development houses
> mean business and are here to stay. ICO, Mark of Kri and now God of
> War. That's a damn fine looking resume.
>
> Move over Stranger's Wrath, there is a new GOTY for 2005.

That's one reason why I didn't buy a PSP. Because of all the great console
games coming out. God Of War was phenomenal!
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 12:25:58 AM

Robert P Holley wrote:
> Fred Liken wrote:
>
>>"massivegrooves" <massivegrooves@massivegrooves.net> wrote in message

>>>At this point it is EASILY GOTY for 2005. Don't see much else that
>>
> might
>
>>>take its position either...only thing I see might be the ICO
>>
> sequel.
>
>>Zelda? I'd say that'd be a contender, but it'll also be hard for
>
> that to
>
>>live up to expectations at this point.
>

> Yep, Zelda could be a strong possibility plus I personally haven't
> played Jade Empire, Psychonauts or even Chaos Theory yet but so far
> they will have to really impress me to overtake GoW.

Jade Empire is pretty good, but not GOTY good IMO. Chaos Theory, is a
good game but is not that dramatically different than prior games in the
series and doesn't offer up anything new that would warrent it being a
GOTY contender. Have not played Psychonauts yet but have played a demo,
and based on that I can't see it as being close to GOTY material...could
be wrong and that could change after I do (and I do plan to at some
point) but it just doesn't feel that special or GOTY special.

Zelda might be, forgot about that one...but it is going to have to
really impress me to pass GoW for GOTY at this point...that goes for any
other contenders also ;)
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 12:28:04 AM

Mattinglyfan wrote:
> "Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote in message
>
>>Fred Liken wrote:
>>
>>>"massivegrooves" <massivegrooves@massivegrooves.net> wrote in message

>>might

>>sequel.
>>
>>>Zelda? I'd say that'd be a contender, but it'll also be hard for
>>
>>that to
>>
>>>live up to expectations at this point.
>>
>>Yep, Zelda could be a strong possibility plus I personally haven't
>>played Jade Empire, Psychonauts or even Chaos Theory yet but so far
>>they will have to really impress me to overtake GoW.
>>

> Not trying to be funny but Fantastic Four might surprise quite a few people.
> So far, every game clip I have seen looks ridiculous.

I will have to look at it...have not so far. Trying to stay away from
anything related to the movie, still have hopes of it turning out
decent. I might slip over to gametrailers.com and look at a trailer or
gameplay clip there though, that shouldn't ruin anything for me ;)
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 12:39:25 AM

Zackman wrote:
> Robert P Holley wrote:
>

>>...has overshadowed Sony's best release of the year.
>>
>>God of War
>

> IAWTP. This one definitely lands in my top PS2 games of all time, next to
> Ico and my beloved Frequency.
>

>>Move over Stranger's Wrath, there is a new GOTY for 2005.
>

> I just wasn't that blown away by Stranger's Wrath, but then I didn't play
> all the way through it. Maybe I'll go back to it someday. Tho given the
> steady stream of releases lately, that may be never.
>
> -Z-

Strangers Wrath was good...I enjoyed it. However it is not close to
being as good as GoW is IMO. No contest!! GoW is around a 9.5 or so type
game, Strangers Wrath to me was like an 8.
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 3:16:12 AM

"Boody Bandit" <boodybandit@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote in message
>> ...has overshadowed Sony's best release of the year.
>>
>> God of War
>>
>> I suppose I'm just as guilty since I'm only now getting around to
>> playing it myself but jebus, the game is flat out amazing. Top-notch
>> production values, great graphics and a refreshing battle/combo system.
>> I know some folks have complained that its too short, and altho I've
>> only got a little over four hours into it, it feels much longer. I
>> guess that's what happens when you remove time-consuming backtracking
>> and tedious diversions out of a game and only cram in heavy-duty action
>> sprinkled with useful and clever puzzles.
>>
>> This also is a statement that Sony's first party development houses
>> mean business and are here to stay. ICO, Mark of Kri and now God of
>> War. That's a damn fine looking resume.
>>
>> Move over Stranger's Wrath, there is a new GOTY for 2005.
>
> Amazing game, no doubt about it.
> My only gripe is the cropping in 16:9.
> But it's only a small gripe because I have auto zoom and I just blow up
> the
> picture.

The 16:9 may be cropped but you should not have to use any sort of zoom mode
on a widesrcreen set. In 480p and 16:9 mode, God of War fills my screen
perfectly on Full mode. Looks great.

----
HDTV games lists and discussions
http://www.hdtvarcade.com
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 5:19:54 AM

massivegrooves wrote:

> Jade Empire is pretty good, but not GOTY good IMO. Chaos Theory, is a

> good game but is not that dramatically different than prior games in
the
> series and doesn't offer up anything new that would warrent it being
> GOTY contender.

Innovation is the main reason why I don't consider GOW GOTY. Much of
its gameplay are derived from games like Prince of Persia, Devil May
Cry, or Ninja Gaiden. I liked GOW very much but if Gaiden wasn't GOTY
then neither should GOW be GOTY. Gaiden was simply a much deeper game
with more replay value. The sword in GOW is very similar to several
big swords in Gaiden but you could do more than twice as many moves
with the swords in Gaiden. Some of the CG movies in GOW were also
pretty lousy for a PS2 game and spoiled the presentation a little.

RE4 also had more gameplay and better graphics than GOW but it did take
a while to get used to the controls and I'm sure that more than a few
would be turned off by the controls. However, the massiveness of the
game makes learning the controls all worthwhile. Just the fact that
RE4 is at least 4 times longer than GOW is enough for me to pick RE4
over GOW as GOTY.
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 9:00:37 AM

Damian Allen wrote:
> Robert P Holley wrote in message
> <1114441864.397134.234700@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>...
> >Move over Stranger's Wrath, there is a new GOTY for 2005.
> >

> God of War is good,but it's not that good.It's very short,has little
replay
> value,the platforming is average and the combat is fun but shallow.

I'd disagree. Obviously the platforming aspects can be average since
it's not suppose to be a platformer, but there is replay value
(multiple difficulties and some challenge mode I'm told opens up after
you beat it) and I find the combat anything but shallow. You simply
can't just mash buttons and survive. Oh maybe in the beginning you
can, but later on I found I needed to strike and dodge to stay alive.

>Also the
> boss battles are pretty dull,though they climax in interesting ways.

You found fighting the Hydra early in the game dull? I found it to be
an epic-style experience which set the perfect tone for what to expect
with the rest of the game.

> The puzzles are great though,easily the best part of the game.
> I think GOW suffers a little because it came out after other
games that
> do some of the things it does better.Prince of Persia has superior
> platforming and Devil May Cry 3 has a deeper (much deeper) and more
refined
> combat system.

That's possible but I wouldn't compare it to POP since they are
different genres.

> Still despite those shortcomings I enjoyed it,though
I'd
> give it an 8 out of 10 rather than a perfect score.
>
> As for GOTY,a few points:
>
> 1) Any potential GOTY should be more innovative.GOW is pretty
derivative of
> other games,while playing I was reminded of the Onimusha,Prince of
> Persia,and (obviously) Devil May Cry games.

Fair point but then I'd use the GTA argument. That's another game that
borrowed ideas from other games which resulted in a better overall
package.

> 2) A GOTY should be fairly long or at least be highly replayable.GOW
offers
> a little replay value,but not as much as other games,which brings me
> point...

Well it does offer multiple difficulties, and I've been told about a
challenge mode which opens up after you beat it. As for it's length
I'm about eight hours into it and if it ended now, I'd be perfectly
satisfied with its length. Why? Because it's simply crammed full of
action. The puzzles break up the pacing and offer a nice breather, but
the action is so intense

> 3) There are already better games released so far this year.I'm
thinking of
> Resident Evil 4,Devil May Cry 3,and possibly Jade Empire,all of which
> possess the qualities I mentioned in the two previous points.Not only
that
> but this is a year where you've got:

Granted I haven't played Jade Empire or RE4 yet but I'm not sure how
you could say DMC3 is GOTY material when you're first criteria is for
the game to be "innovative."

> A new Final Fantasy game

No chance.

> A new Kingdom Hearts game

Even less of a chance.

> A new Zelda game

Best possiblity so far.

> A new game from the Ico team.

Possible.
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 11:38:19 AM

Robert P Holley wrote in message
<1114441864.397134.234700@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>...
>Move over Stranger's Wrath, there is a new GOTY for 2005.

God of War is good,but it's not that good.It's very short,has little replay
value,the platforming is average and the combat is fun but shallow.Also the
boss battles are pretty dull,though they climax in interesting ways.
The puzzles are great though,easily the best part of the game.
I think GOW suffers a little because it came out after other games that
do some of the things it does better.Prince of Persia has superior
platforming and Devil May Cry 3 has a deeper (much deeper) and more refined
combat system.
Still despite those shortcomings I enjoyed it,though I'd
give it an 8 out of 10 rather than a perfect score.

As for GOTY,a few points:

1) Any potential GOTY should be more innovative.GOW is pretty derivative of
other games,while playing I was reminded of the Onimusha,Prince of
Persia,and (obviously) Devil May Cry games.

2) A GOTY should be fairly long or at least be highly replayable.GOW offers
a little replay value,but not as much as other games,which brings me to
point...

3) There are already better games released so far this year.I'm thinking of
Resident Evil 4,Devil May Cry 3,and possibly Jade Empire,all of which
possess the qualities I mentioned in the two previous points.Not only that
but this is a year where you've got:

A new Final Fantasy game
A new Kingdom Hearts game
A new Zelda game
A new game from the Ico team.

Not to mention potential dark horse candidates like Okami or even Killer 7.
GOW could be GOTY if the year were 2001 but other games have already
surpassed it in terms of gameplay innovation.

Damian
-------------
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 12:48:45 PM

massivegrooves wrote:
> Robert P Holley wrote:
> > Damian Allen wrote:
> >
> >>Robert P Holley wrote in message
> >><1114441864.397134.234700@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>...

> >>God of War is good,but it's not that good.It's very short,has
little

> > replay
> >
> >>value,the platforming is average and the combat is fun but shallow.
> >

> > I'd disagree. Obviously the platforming aspects can be average
since
> > it's not suppose to be a platformer, but there is replay value
> > (multiple difficulties and some challenge mode I'm told opens up
after
> > you beat it) and I find the combat anything but shallow. You
simply
> > can't just mash buttons and survive. Oh maybe in the beginning you
> > can, but later on I found I needed to strike and dodge to stay
alive.

> I agree, that is not a focus of the game really. There is some, but
it
> is mainly an action/adventure game.

Regarding the platforming (or non combat) elements of the game I'd have
to say the only time I felt it was subpar was the brief but frustrating
swimming section where you had to race ahead of the moving wall.
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 1:05:54 PM

massivegrooves wrote:
> I have no problem with the length of GoW, and IMO it is one of those
> that you just HAVE to play again...it is that good.
There are so many great games now that I simply don't have time to
replay a game. As good as GOW is, I'll rather play something I haven't
beaten. I didn't have a problem with GOW's length, it's just that
Resident Evil 4 had much more gameplay time, and it wasn't all spent on
backtracking like previous Resident Evil games either.

> Graphically
> and the CS part I have no problem with, especially on the PS2 it is a

> very impressive looking game...at least on my set-up it is.

Some of the cutscenes were very poorly compressed like movies in
Gamecube games. It detracted a little from the experience since PS2
games usually have very highly quality movies.

>GoW has a
> great story and gives the mythology area the treatment it deserves,
> something that hasn't happened previously. GoW gets GOTY in my book
so
> far...my bet would be on the ICO sequel to beat it out if it is
anywhere
> near as good as the original.

ICO was great but I didn't consider it to be GOTY either. The combat
was too boring and the gameplay wasn't really that deep. Judging from
the previews, I think the developer has focused on making the combat
more exciting and it should be a better game than ICO.
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 1:19:49 PM

Robert P Holley wrote:

> You found fighting the Hydra early in the game dull? I found it to
be
> an epic-style experience which set the perfect tone for what to
expect
> with the rest of the game.

I liked the fact that you have to figure out the bosses'weaknessess.

> Fair point but then I'd use the GTA argument. That's another game
that
> borrowed ideas from other games which resulted in a better overall
> package.

The difference is that GTA is the only good game in its genre, but GOW
has many great games in its genre such as the first DMC, Gaiden,
Onimusha, etc. I don't think that GOW is GOTY because it is not better
than Gaiden, and Gaiden wasn't GOTY for many publications. Gaiden did
almost win the EGM award though.

> Granted I haven't played Jade Empire or RE4 yet but I'm not sure how
> you could say DMC3 is GOTY material when you're first criteria is for
> the game to be "innovative."

I bought DMC3 and GOW at about the same time, tested out both, and then
immediately put DMC3 aside while I played GOW. There's no question
that GOW is a better game than DMC3. To me, DMC3 still does not
recapture the excitement of the first DMC. RE4 though, is really
impressive. It was hard to believe that they could cram so much stuff
into an action game. The controls are annoying intially, but once you
get good at them, the combat is awesome. There're many different
weapons in RE4, and you have a ton of upgrades and ammo, unlike
previous RE games. Hit location is also extremely important. Except for
aliasing, the graphics are also spectacular. Right now, I would have
to say that RE4 is a stronger candidate for GOTY than GOW because RE4
has 4 times as much stuff as GOW.
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 1:24:34 PM

Let me know what you think of the platforming in the last two levels or
so after you've beaten the game. The platforming in the last part of
the game reminded me of the platforming at the end of Buffy for Xbox.
It just wasn't that fun, and it was tedious because I just wanted to
get to the final boss fight.

..
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 1:26:28 PM

Robert P Holley wrote:
> ...has overshadowed Sony's best release of the year.
>
> God of War

You're right about the PSP discussion overshadowing a game like GOW.
The PSP is just a bunch of hype right now. I've tried almost all the
PSP games, and none of them is worth a damn unless you don't ever get
to play console games at home. It's ludicrous for a company like EA to
sell PSP games at $50 as if they were equivalent to console versions.
Also, I might be more annoyed with the PSP because I've recently
spotted 4 stuck pixels.
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 2:44:15 PM

brun132001@yahoo.com wrote:
> massivegrooves wrote:
>

>>Jade Empire is pretty good, but not GOTY good IMO. Chaos Theory, is a
>

>>good game but is not that dramatically different than prior games in
>
> the
>
>>series and doesn't offer up anything new that would warrent it being

>>GOTY contender.
>

> Innovation is the main reason why I don't consider GOW GOTY. Much of
> its gameplay are derived from games like Prince of Persia, Devil May
> Cry, or Ninja Gaiden. I liked GOW very much but if Gaiden wasn't GOTY
> then neither should GOW be GOTY. Gaiden was simply a much deeper game
> with more replay value. The sword in GOW is very similar to several
> big swords in Gaiden but you could do more than twice as many moves
> with the swords in Gaiden. Some of the CG movies in GOW were also
> pretty lousy for a PS2 game and spoiled the presentation a little.
>
> RE4 also had more gameplay and better graphics than GOW but it did take
> a while to get used to the controls and I'm sure that more than a few
> would be turned off by the controls. However, the massiveness of the
> game makes learning the controls all worthwhile. Just the fact that
> RE4 is at least 4 times longer than GOW is enough for me to pick RE4
> over GOW as GOTY.

I have no problem with the length of GoW, and IMO it is one of those
that you just HAVE to play again...it is that good. Length is not really
a factor to me, to me GoW is an experience and one of those rides you
just don't want to end. Several times in the game you hit parts where
you think it is likely to end and it takes right off again. Graphically
and the CS part I have no problem with, especially on the PS2 it is a
very impressive looking game...at least on my set-up it is. GoW has a
great story and gives the mythology area the treatment it deserves,
something that hasn't happened previously. GoW gets GOTY in my book so
far...my bet would be on the ICO sequel to beat it out if it is anywhere
near as good as the original.
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 2:48:00 PM

Robert P Holley wrote:
> Damian Allen wrote:
>
>>Robert P Holley wrote in message
>><1114441864.397134.234700@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>...
>>
>>>Move over Stranger's Wrath, there is a new GOTY for 2005.
>>>

>>God of War is good,but it's not that good.It's very short,has little
>
> replay
>
>>value,the platforming is average and the combat is fun but shallow.
>

> I'd disagree. Obviously the platforming aspects can be average since
> it's not suppose to be a platformer, but there is replay value
> (multiple difficulties and some challenge mode I'm told opens up after
> you beat it) and I find the combat anything but shallow. You simply
> can't just mash buttons and survive. Oh maybe in the beginning you
> can, but later on I found I needed to strike and dodge to stay alive.

I agree, that is not a focus of the game really. There is some, but it
is mainly an action/adventure game.

>>Also the
>>boss battles are pretty dull,though they climax in interesting ways.
>

> You found fighting the Hydra early in the game dull? I found it to be
> an epic-style experience which set the perfect tone for what to expect
> with the rest of the game.

Yep...I totally agree!!

>>The puzzles are great though,easily the best part of the game.
>> I think GOW suffers a little because it came out after other
>
> games that
>
>>do some of the things it does better.Prince of Persia has superior
>>platforming and Devil May Cry 3 has a deeper (much deeper) and more
>
> refined
>
>>combat system.
>

> That's possible but I wouldn't compare it to POP since they are
> different genres.
>

>> Still despite those shortcomings I enjoyed it,though
>
> I'd
>
>>give it an 8 out of 10 rather than a perfect score.
>>
>>As for GOTY,a few points:
>>
>>1) Any potential GOTY should be more innovative.GOW is pretty
>
> derivative of
>
>>other games,while playing I was reminded of the Onimusha,Prince of
>>Persia,and (obviously) Devil May Cry games.
>

> Fair point but then I'd use the GTA argument. That's another game that
> borrowed ideas from other games which resulted in a better overall
> package.
>

>>2) A GOTY should be fairly long or at least be highly replayable.GOW
>
> offers
>
>>a little replay value,but not as much as other games,which brings me

>>point...
>

> Well it does offer multiple difficulties, and I've been told about a
> challenge mode which opens up after you beat it. As for it's length
> I'm about eight hours into it and if it ended now, I'd be perfectly
> satisfied with its length. Why? Because it's simply crammed full of
> action. The puzzles break up the pacing and offer a nice breather, but
> the action is so intense
>

>>3) There are already better games released so far this year.I'm
>
> thinking of
>
>>Resident Evil 4,Devil May Cry 3,and possibly Jade Empire,all of which
>>possess the qualities I mentioned in the two previous points.Not only
>
> that
>
>>but this is a year where you've got:
>

> Granted I haven't played Jade Empire or RE4 yet but I'm not sure how
> you could say DMC3 is GOTY material when you're first criteria is for
> the game to be "innovative."
>

>>A new Final Fantasy game
>

> No chance.
>

>>A new Kingdom Hearts game
>

> Even less of a chance.
>

>>A new Zelda game
>

> Best possiblity so far.
>

>>A new game from the Ico team.
>

> Possible.

Anonymous
April 26, 2005 4:22:47 PM

brun132001@yahoo.com wrote:
> massivegrooves wrote:
>
>>I have no problem with the length of GoW, and IMO it is one of those
>>that you just HAVE to play again...it is that good.
>
> There are so many great games now that I simply don't have time to
> replay a game. As good as GOW is, I'll rather play something I haven't
> beaten. I didn't have a problem with GOW's length, it's just that
> Resident Evil 4 had much more gameplay time, and it wasn't all spent on
> backtracking like previous Resident Evil games either.

Games that are as good as GoW I have absolutely no problem with playing
them again. Other games can wait in this instance. I will go through a
game like this one 2-3 times generally and see all there is to see,
unlock etc.. Any other games will still be there when I get done,
nothing else there at the moment anyway that I feel I absolutely MUST
play right this instance. RE4 is a decent game, I am not a fan of the
series. This one is an improvement for sure...still not enough though to
convert me into a fan though. RE4 to me is a good game, not a great one.

>>Graphically
>>and the CS part I have no problem with, especially on the PS2 it is a
>

>>very impressive looking game...at least on my set-up it is.
>

> Some of the cutscenes were very poorly compressed like movies in
> Gamecube games. It detracted a little from the experience since PS2
> games usually have very highly quality movies.
>

>>GoW has a
>>great story and gives the mythology area the treatment it deserves,
>>something that hasn't happened previously. GoW gets GOTY in my book
>
> so
>
>>far...my bet would be on the ICO sequel to beat it out if it is
>
> anywhere
>
>>near as good as the original.
>

> ICO was great but I didn't consider it to be GOTY either. The combat
> was too boring and the gameplay wasn't really that deep. Judging from
> the previews, I think the developer has focused on making the combat
> more exciting and it should be a better game than ICO.

ICO is incredible. It is one of those games that you either get or you
don't. The combat wasn't anything special, I agree. The combat though
was not really the focus of the game either. It was more about the
puzzles and getting out of there and getting the girl out with you (the
adventure.) ICO is one of the few games that I really got lost in, not
lost as in couldn't find my way, but lost as in submerged or involved.
It is probably the only instance I can really recall where I truly cared
about the characters and their plight. It also was an amazing game from
a graphical point of view with some incredible enviroments. The water
was fantastic in that game, and given when it was released it was one of
if not the best looking games at that point. Still holds up quite well
in that area today. ICO got overlooked by the masses...it was easily
GOTY material. I am hoping that the sequel doesn't change to much...have
avoided looking at much on it, just don't want any spoilers ;)
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 8:48:37 AM

brun132001@yahoo.com wrote:
> Let me know what you think of the platforming in the last two levels
or
> so after you've beaten the game. The platforming in the last part of
> the game reminded me of the platforming at the end of Buffy for Xbox.
> It just wasn't that fun, and it was tedious because I just wanted to
> get to the final boss fight.

I finished it last night and I think I have to agree with you. Why
such the massive switch to platform jumping at the end there? It
really felt out of place and was laid on too thick when compared to the
rest of the game.

The game is still a winner in my eyes and still worthy of GOTY...but
after those platform levels it's been knock down just a few notches.
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 11:24:02 AM

Robert P Holley wrote in message
<1114516837.866783.48680@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>...

>Damian Allen wrote:
>> Robert P Holley wrote in message
>> <1114441864.397134.234700@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>...
>I'd disagree. Obviously the platforming aspects can be average since
>it's not suppose to be a platformer, but there is replay value
>(multiple difficulties and some challenge mode I'm told opens up after
>you beat it) and I find the combat anything but shallow. You simply
>can't just mash buttons and survive. Oh maybe in the beginning you
>can, but later on I found I needed to strike and dodge to stay alive.

If they're going to put in platformer elements they should either do them
well or not at all.As for replay value;the Challenge of the Gods isn't fun
at all (just wait until challenge 10) and the higher difficulties just
increase the damage enemies can give and receive,the enemy sets and enemy
A.I. are the same,there's nothing new to experience.
As far as combat is concerned,square,square,triangle and
square,square,hold square will get you through nearly anything.

>You found fighting the Hydra early in the game dull? I found it to be
>an epic-style experience which set the perfect tone for what to expect
>with the rest of the game.

You mean the Hydra and it's one attack?
I wouldn't define that as epic,it was a very easy and very short battle.

>That's possible but I wouldn't compare it to POP since they are
>different genres.

I was only comparing the platform elements of the games,not the games
themselves.

>Fair point but then I'd use the GTA argument. That's another game that
>borrowed ideas from other games which resulted in a better overall
>package.

It's fine if a game borrows or is influenced by other games but GOW doesn't
improve on the various aspects that it borrowed from other games.

>Well it does offer multiple difficulties, and I've been told about a
>challenge mode which opens up after you beat it. As for it's length
>I'm about eight hours into it and if it ended now, I'd be perfectly
>satisfied with its length. Why? Because it's simply crammed full of
>action. The puzzles break up the pacing and offer a nice breather, but
>the action is so intense

I talked about the replayability earlier though I should add that beating
the Challenge of the Gods unlocks various costumes that enhance or reduce
some of Kratos' statistics and abillities.Even so they don't really change
the basic gameplay much.

>Granted I haven't played Jade Empire or RE4 yet but I'm not sure how
>you could say DMC3 is GOTY material when you're first criteria is for
>the game to be "innovative."

I just mean that it's a better game than GOW,not neccessarily a GOTY
candidate,action GOTY maybe.Also DMC3's style system is one of the best
action game innovations in years,plus it has 2 player functionality.

>> A new Final Fantasy game
>
>No chance.

Tell that to RPG fans.

>> A new Kingdom Hearts game
>
>Even less of a chance.

See above.

>> A new Zelda game
>
>Best possiblity so far.
>
>> A new game from the Ico team.
>
>Possible.

Anonymous
April 28, 2005 9:28:30 PM

> Mattinglyfan wrote:
>> "Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote in message

>>>might

>>>sequel.

>>>that to

>>>Yep, Zelda could be a strong possibility plus I personally haven't
>>>played Jade Empire, Psychonauts or even Chaos Theory yet but so far
>>>they will have to really impress me to overtake GoW.
>>>

>> Not trying to be funny but Fantastic Four might surprise quite a few
>> people. So far, every game clip I have seen looks ridiculous.
>
> I will have to look at it...have not so far. Trying to stay away from
> anything related to the movie, still have hopes of it turning out decent.
> I might slip over to gametrailers.com and look at a trailer or gameplay
> clip there though, that shouldn't ruin anything for me ;)

These are basically an introduction to Mr. Fantastic and Johnny Blaze so it
doesn't give anything away about the movie. Enjoy.

http://media.ps2.ign.com/media/481/481321/vids_1.html
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 12:01:17 AM

Mattinglyfan wrote:
> "massivegrooves" <massivegrooves@massivegrooves.net> wrote in message
>

>>Mattinglyfan wrote:
>>
>>>"Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote in message

>>>Not trying to be funny but Fantastic Four might surprise quite a few
>>>people. So far, every game clip I have seen looks ridiculous.
>>
>>I will have to look at it...have not so far. Trying to stay away from
>>anything related to the movie, still have hopes of it turning out decent.
>>I might slip over to gametrailers.com and look at a trailer or gameplay
>>clip there though, that shouldn't ruin anything for me ;)
>>

> These are basically an introduction to Mr. Fantastic and Johnny Blaze so it
> doesn't give anything away about the movie. Enjoy.
>
> http://media.ps2.ign.com/media/481/481321/vids_1.html

Thanks anyway...I already saw them ;)  I went looking after I posted
that. It looks like it could be decent, definitely one to take the wait
and see approach on.
!