Computer suddenly restarts

frehyn110109

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
My computer suddenly restarts on it's own. I've cleaned it, checked for loose connections. The temps are fine (for where I'm from anyway, pretty hot here most of the time). The time between restarts shortens through continuous usage. My computer's always having problems (replaced the psu due to it getting grounded, reformatted multiple times to fix software issues). This is the first computer I've built by the way. This started after installing a game but I already uninstalled that. And the errors I get from event log are normal (from what I've gathered from other threads). I tried checking my memsticks yung memtest but it still restarts on it's own. As I've said, my psu was recently replaced (less than 6 months ago).

fowang

Distinguished
May 30, 2006
are you getting Blue screens or BSOD's?

It would also be a good idea if you can find out how hot your processor is running also, as your computer maybe shutting down due this reason.

frehyn110109

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
I'm not getting blue screens or BSOD's. I also unchecked the auto restart on system failure. processors running same as always, 55 at most when gaming (I live in the philippines so it's pretty warm here).

It restarts, as though the reset switch were pressed?
Please list your system specs, including the brand and model (not just wattage) of your PSU.
My first guess is that your PSU is not able to hold up its end of the log. Particularly if it was cheap (e.g. Diablotek, Logisys, Apevia, etc.), the label on it may be a bald-faced lie.

Edit: your last post clarified that these are not BSODs, but resets.

frehyn110109

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
It restarts, as though the reset switch were pressed.

CPU: AMD 955 BE 3.2Ghz (not overclocked)
MOBO: 890GXM-G65
GPU: Sapphire 6950 (shaders unlocked, OCed only when gaming)
PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower 775w (replaced once due to the first getting grounded)
MEM: Geil Value Plus 4gb 1333mhz (single stick)
HDD: Seagate 500gb (forgot which one, i just got the cheapest 500gb they had in store)

frehyn110109

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
I have noticed a few things. It seems to not restart whenever my aircon's on (the air's blown directly at the case) or maybe I'm just asleep when it does. Earlier, it restarted a few minutes after I turned off the aircon. 2 days ago however it didn't restart when the aircon was turned off via timer though it still did after a couple hours (this was when I let my computer rest for the day because I was out). Bringing this in to the local PC store later to get the PSU checked (if the problem's the psu again, I'll probably never get another thermaltake psu again)

G

Do you have a UPS battery backup? If you don't, you may want to pick one up. Your PC may be rebooting due to power sags, that is when the power goes below 112 volts for a moment and then normalizes, if you notice this when your air conditioner is on. There is nothing wrong with Thermaltake's power supplies. They seem to be a lot better now than they used to though. They aren't top tier but they are better than a no-name.

It could be the PSU that is overheating and shutting off. Make sure you have good airflow through your case, front to back. If you have too many exhaust and not enough intake fans, the PSU may be struggling to pull any cooling air through it. Older Thermaltake PSUs are not good. Does yours have a little voltage switch on it? If so, it's one of the older ones. As you can see from this listing: http://www.hardocp.com/reviews/psu_power_supplies/1/thermaltake Thermaltake is a mixed bag. Seasonic is always safe, as are Corsair, and Antec >=500W.

G

The power sags don't originate from your computer, and they are sometimes hard to nail down. There are many causes of power sags from too many things plugged into a wall socket, to too many people in your area using too much power at a given time. Watch your lights in your room at night. When your air conditioner kicks on and your lights dim, that's a power sag. If you live in a rural area, you may have dirty power that a battery backup (ups) will be able to filter by switching over to battery the split second the power from the outlet drops below or goes above a safe level.

This was just a guess anyway as I've seen similar issues. One of my clients installed a window unit in his workshop and then he started having computer problems where his pc would reboot on it's own. We tracked it down to the window unit causing a power load imbalance on his breaker box causing power to drop below well below 110 volts for a moment in which when we installed a battery backup. When the power dipped down to dangerous levels, the battery backup would switch to battery keeping the voltage within limits. Power sags are often more dangerous to electronics than power spikes.

TRENDING THREADS