Sign in with
Your question

Help with Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z/Gen 3 mobo and first boot

Last response: in Motherboards
January 23, 2013 10:06:23 AM

I have a build with the Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z/Gen 3 and an HD Radeon 7970. The HD Radeon 7970 has a DVI output and I have a monitor that only supports VGA and DVI. I'm trying to do my first boot and haven't installed the OS on the HD or anything yet, but I can't get anything to display on the screen. I assume this is because the motherboard doesn't have the drivers for the HD Radeon 7970 and is trying to use onboard graphics. Am I going to need to buy an HDMI to vGA or DVI cable just to set up the PC or is it likely something else is wrong? When I boot up, the manual mentions hearing diagnostic beeps but I hear nothing. Power is clearly flowing to all components as everything powers on (all fans are running, harddrive platters are spinning, etc).

*I'm guessing that until the bios is set up that the mobo can't instantly recognise the GPU and use it as the video display? The last time I set up a PC, I can't remember if I had this problem but I know the motherboard came with a VGA output so I didn't have to worry over this triviality...

Help?

I dont know if it matters, but the other components attached to the mobo are G.SKILL Ripjaws X 2 x 4 GB sticks, i7-3770k, coolermaster hyper 212+ cooler, and a WD caviar green HD

Edit: I also checked with another monitor and it's the same issue, that I don't get any signal from the GPU showing up at all.
January 23, 2013 10:42:18 AM

How would I install the BIOS update if I can't even see the the display?
m
l
Related resources
a c 150 Ĉ ASUS
a c 557 V Motherboard
January 23, 2013 11:02:04 AM

As I've mentioned, you need a supported CPU to install it, access the BIOS and flash it. Or the other options above. Read again the previous post.
If in US, you can order a BIOS chip from ASUS eStore. If not, from ebay.
m
l
January 23, 2013 11:11:09 AM

As I said in my post, I already have a supported CPU (i7-3770k). But if I can't see the BIOS on the display, how am I even supposed to do that?

I am worried you missed this point in your earlier responses... my CPU is certainly one of the supported ones.
m
l
a c 150 Ĉ ASUS
a c 557 V Motherboard
January 23, 2013 11:16:27 AM

If you check the CPU Support List from the link above, it is mentioned that
Core i7-3770K (3.5G,L3:8M,iGPU,4C,HT,77W,rev.E1) ALL 3203
In other words, the CPU is supported since BIOS 3203.
Now, you can verify the board's BIOS version (on the board there's a barcode sticker - the last 4 digits stand for the original BIOS version).
If the board's BIOS version is older than 3203, the system would not POST and you need a CPU supported since 0402 BIOS version, or so. I hope I was clear.
m
l
January 23, 2013 11:20:23 AM

I can confirm that my board's BIOS version is 3203 (i.e. I did open the case and check that the last four numbers match this as you suggested to do), so the CPU should be supported, correct?

Edit: I thought for a moment perhaps the GPU is not 100% aligned in the pci-e slot but it is definitely so...
m
l
a c 118 Ĉ ASUS
a c 469 V Motherboard
January 23, 2013 11:23:48 AM

if you have a local best buy or radio shack...they do make a hdmi to dvi cable. if needed to see the bios and switch over to the new gpu.
m
l
a c 150 Ĉ ASUS
a c 557 V Motherboard
January 23, 2013 11:29:39 AM

adderall said:
I can confirm that my board's BIOS version is 3203 (i.e. I did open the case and check that the last four numbers match this as you suggested to do), so the CPU should be supported, correct?

Edit: I thought for a moment perhaps the GPU is not 100% aligned in the pci-e slot but it is definitely so...

In this case remove the graphics card and use the onboard HDMI port or try borrowing a graphics card. See if the system does POST this way.
It might be a graphics card compatibility issue.
m
l
January 23, 2013 11:54:25 AM

smorizio said:
if you have a local best buy or radio shack...they do make a hdmi to dvi cable. if needed to see the bios and switch over to the new gpu.

OK, thank you. This is specifically what I was asking whether an HDMI to DVI cable would be a workable solution so I appreciate the feedback. Thank you.
m
l
January 23, 2013 4:29:03 PM

this is probably a silly question, but the power is plugged into the video card? and what psu are you running btw. don't mean to insult you :p . if you remove the video card and start the machine (from your posts it sounds like there is no OS installed etc) do you hear the DVD drive spinning up?
m
l
January 23, 2013 5:20:47 PM

blackmancer said:
this is probably a silly question, but the power is plugged into the video card? and what psu are you running btw. don't mean to insult you :p . if you remove the video card and start the machine (from your posts it sounds like there is no OS installed etc) do you hear the DVD drive spinning up?

I don't have a DVD drive, but the Hard drive platters are spinning. The GPU has power, its onboard fan and LED are coming on just fine. I have a 500W PSU which is fine for the components - I have tried removing the video card from the machine, however, I don't have an HDMI plug, and I only have VGA and DVI capable monitors here in my house. I am going to go out and get an HDMI to VGA/DVI cable and see if things are coming up just fine.
m
l
!