QBALL263

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010
Hello,
Recently purchased system w/FX-8120. 8GB DDR3, 1TB HD, etc for around $1400. According to tech, should be 5-7yr before software operating systems to be written that will make this system push the edge of the envelope and rock and roll. Correct?? I'm not a gamer but look to future in getting bang for buck. Did I do good or screw-up? Thanks

g-unit1111

Titan
The 8120 will be fine - in some ways it's very overkill but it will last you a long time. You will need to update your BIOS frequently on your motherboard though to make sure it takes advantage of the CPU and chipset features.

Did you go with a motherboard that has 970, 990FX or 890?

QBALL263

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010

Truth be known, I possess enough IT knowledge to get myself in very deep KIMCHEE! All I know is that it is a very high end Gigabyte board. Have forgotten how to access system info (parts, etc.) form my PC. Any help?

As geekapproved said, it will work good.

Also - apparently MS and AMD are working on a patch for Zembezi to get it to schedule its processor better - which Windows 8 apparently natively does already. I've read somewhere it should give upwards of around 10% boost in performance.

I also like your FX processor - it's good. I'm actually planning on going your route - have used way too many Intel processors for my own good - and even though they are king right now, I want to support the lil guy.

g-unit1111

Titan

Ah I have that same board. Good choice.

I also like your FX processor - it's good. I'm actually planning on going your route - have used way too many Intel processors for my own good - and even though they are king right now, I want to support the lil guy.

Yeah I'm kind of the same way, I'm tired of the same old thing - always been Intel - my last four - five systems have all been Intel, my laptop is Intel - but switched over to AMD this year and I had the CPU and RAM but never had a good working motherboard until now, and I'm really impressed with the way this build turned out. I'm seriously thinking of switching out to the FX CPU once the second generation comes around.

TRENDING THREADS