Sign in with
Your question

Direction of bottom rear fan

Last response: in Components
March 17, 2012 8:00:01 PM

My PC is kinda hot: proccessor (always running at 100%) around 70 degrees idle and around 72 playing bf3 ultra setting, GPU (GTX 560 Ti) around 40 degrees idle and normally around 75 degrees with bf3 (but has reached 82 couple times).
My case has got only one place to put a fan, which is at the bottom of the rear. My question is in which direction should I put the fan, exhaust or inhale?
I can alo put a fan on the side of the case but then it would be blowing directly into/out of the CPU, so it wouldn't cool the other components.
I could also get a new case but I have not much money atm so I'm looking for a cheap solution.

Help appreciated and sorry for the bad english.
March 17, 2012 8:05:03 PM

exhaust.
March 17, 2012 8:26:44 PM

List your full system specs- case / CPU cooler / what type of fans / etc.

What other case do you have in mind?

Related resources
March 17, 2012 8:36:46 PM

if its at the bottom i would have it as intake as hot air rises, also get a fan for the side of your case as another intake although its directed at your cpu it will still cool you overall system.
March 17, 2012 8:41:56 PM

Intel Socket 1156 (Medion MS-7616)
Quad-core i5 750 @ 2.67 Ghz
Asus GTX 560 Ti
Aerocool Strike-X 800 W (bought it when upgraded GPU and want it to last)
6144 MB RAM
Case is of a Medion PC 7476: http://www.nosolohardware.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/1...
I dont know what CPU cooler I have, it came with the Medion 7476 I got some years ago.
March 17, 2012 8:57:09 PM

Okay, thanks for the fast replies. I appreciate it.
I will buy a case next week probably.
March 17, 2012 9:24:56 PM

use it as exasht. the power supply may heat the air up.

besides if you want get a case with more ventilation. my antec 300 came with a fan on top and one on back at top and psu at bottem and space for 2 intake fans on front
March 17, 2012 9:32:03 PM

Not being sarcastic but with a drill and some thought you can have fans ANYWHERE you want on your case.
March 17, 2012 9:39:00 PM

wr6133 said:
Not being sarcastic but with a drill and some thought you can have fans ANYWHERE you want on your case.

And even better question.. What's the problem? all your temps are under thermal specs...
March 17, 2012 9:39:30 PM

I have made a nice hole in to top of many cases, and mounted an exhaust fan right there. As everyone knows, heat rises! As for the fan that would blow directly on the cpu....that is a good thing!
March 17, 2012 11:48:46 PM

i have a question somewhat related. i have an open vent for an extra fan on the top of my case at the back, near the exhaust fan, the top vent sits right between the exhaust and the hyper 212. so, my question is, should i leave this vent covered so the exhaust can pull directly from the case, or should i leave it uncovered? and on a different note, i was thinking about modding the exhaust fan so it would sit in the top vent, or as a secondary fan for the hyper 212. either of these good ideas?
March 18, 2012 6:15:38 AM

ok so in response to my own question, i decided to try it. i used the rear exhaust fan as a secondary fan on the hyper 212. it seems to make little or no difference on the processor itself, however it seems to keep the system slightly cooler, only because the two fans seem to be working together to push air out of the top and rear exhaust, instead of the exhaust fan just pulling cool air in through the top and right back out the rear one. anyone have any input on this?
!