Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Advice on new build

Tags:
  • Build
  • New Build
  • Components
  • Product
Last response: in Components
Share
March 17, 2012 8:09:50 PM

Here is the link for my build:

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx...


Not as experienced as some of the members on here, I figured I would ask you guys how my build looks.
I have a couple concerns.
-----------------------------------------
* Airflow and temp
* Motherboard versatility
* Are any of these components obsolete and expensive?
* Substitutions for better performance
* Overall layout
* Overall Compatibility
* Any other issues you guys see


Thanks All
:bounce: 

More about : advice build

Best solution

March 17, 2012 8:23:45 PM

1. This belongs in the New Build forum.
2. Tell us your budget, date of purchase, and what you will be doing with it.

The CM Storm Trooper has much better cable management and cooling potential than the DF-85 and it comes with a free DVD burner.

7750 is more power friendly and cheaper for almost identical performance.

A bad 1000w for what? The TX650 will do the job.

Everything else looks fine.
Share
March 17, 2012 8:26:09 PM

depends what you are using it for

socket 1155 would be a lot cheaper but not much slower

for either socket the graphics card seems low end compared to the other parts you picked

a gtx570 or amd 7950 would be more like what i would have expected with the rest of those

components

m
0
l
Related resources
March 17, 2012 8:27:45 PM

Best answer selected by rodcopperbottom.
m
0
l
March 17, 2012 8:30:08 PM

*My budget would be around $1800
*Approximate purchase date would be March 30th
*I would like to do some high end video editing, gaming, and movie viewing platform.

Thanks for the quick replies.
m
0
l
March 17, 2012 8:33:37 PM

The GPU seems low-end, so I would go for an asus gtx 560 ti directcu ii or better.
Also, I personally would go for a bigger HDD (1.5TB?) but that's just me since I use a lot of space
m
0
l
March 17, 2012 8:33:52 PM

Make sure you don't forget case fans, some nice Yate Loons and maybe a fan controller. You don't want to count on the mobo having enough headers for the fans and the fans that some in cases (especially Antec, I have a Three Hundred, the fans were crap) are usually less than performance based! Don't want a nice setup and no efficient way to cool it :) 

I would also consider just one video card and wait til Kepler is released, then spend the extra to SLi a couple of those bad boys, since you are putting so much into your rig, I take it money isn't your primary concern? Unless dropping a grand on video cards doesn't appeal, in which case I would think you wouldn't go for Sandy Bridge E and 'settle' for regular Sandy Bridge! Hehe

Lastly, I would dump the Cougar PSU for a better quality 750-800W Antec or Silverstone or even the Cooler Master Enthusiast/Gamers series. Don't want a inferior PSU be the culprit when and if something fries.

And I see you have a keyboard but no mouse? You have one already? And a mouse pad.

My 2 cents... Have fun!!
m
0
l
March 17, 2012 8:35:49 PM

rodcopperbottom said:
*My budget would be around $1800
*Approximate purchase date would be March 30th
*I would like to do some high end video editing, gaming, and movie viewing platform.

Thanks for the quick replies.
3820 is a great CPU for editing.
If you have gaming in mind, then you would need a beefier GPU. I recommend you use your current GPU (if you have one) for now and wait for Keplar or the 7800 series to debut.

You could also re-use some other peripherals to save money for a better GPU.
Try to re-use the HDD, RAM (maybe), and the peripherals.
m
0
l
March 17, 2012 8:43:44 PM

THanks guys. Unfortunately I have no leftover HDDs to use.
Couple of questions:
*What is the price range for the new Keplar or the 7800?
*Would you recommend 2 GPUs or one beefy one?
m
0
l
March 17, 2012 8:51:36 PM

rodcopperbottom said:
THanks guys. Unfortunately I have no leftover HDDs to use.
Couple of questions:
*What is the price range for the new Keplar or the 7800?
*Would you recommend 2 GPUs or one beefy one?

Keplar = a whole new line of NVidia GPUs
7800 = 7850-$250 / 7870-$350

One beefier GPU by far.
m
0
l
March 17, 2012 8:54:09 PM

If your purchase date isn't absolute, then wait few days, since in April the new chips sets are being released. Z77, Z75 and few more, which will give you more choice in boards and also might lower the prices of other board that are already out.

That board is definitely cool, however just be sure you are getting what you need. That board has 4 Pci E 3.0. If you dont plan on using 4 gfx, then you just paying too much for that board.

As its been stated PSU is overkill. You will be better of with 750 ish Watt PSU as long as its from reputable company (SS, Cor or Ant).

In my opinion two low end GFX cant equal one Mid/high end GFX. Check out some benches on the card you chosen Vs the new 7870. Your monitor has a high res so if you probably want to play games at max settings. So definitely look for better GFX.

m
0
l
March 17, 2012 9:15:51 PM

So something like this?:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
& this?:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Would you guys recommend any excellent GFXs that would suffice until the Keplar or 7800 series come out?


Sidenote:
I am looking to get an SSD (for OS) and HDD(for backup etc.). DO you recommend as specific size for the SSD(Windows Ultimate) and a specific size for an HDD(1.5-2 Tb?)

Again, thank you. Very helpful
m
0
l
March 17, 2012 9:41:00 PM

rodcopperbottom said:
So something like this?:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
& this?:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Would you guys recommend any excellent GFXs that would suffice until the Keplar or 7800 series come out?


Sidenote:
I am looking to get an SSD (for OS) and HDD(for backup etc.). DO you recommend as specific size for the SSD(Windows Ultimate) and a specific size for an HDD(1.5-2 Tb?)

Again, thank you. Very helpful
The 7800 series are either coming out tomorrow or the day after tomorrow. The MSI 7850 would be my choice.

SSD List
1.5TB
m
0
l
March 18, 2012 2:50:10 AM

I have looked at the Seagate before and a handful of people have said this product dies or is faulty. The times of death vary in length. Any insight?
m
0
l
March 18, 2012 2:58:03 AM

rodcopperbottom said:
I have looked at the Seagate before and a handful of people have said this product dies or is faulty. The times of death vary in length. Any insight?
Then get this or this
m
0
l
March 18, 2012 5:19:32 PM

So this is what it looks like so far:

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx...

I am still unsure about of the mobo and GFX. Since the new chipset is coming out my mobo might go down in price. Also the GFX is pretty pricey. Maybe with the 7800 series it might go down. Are you guys sure 2 decent GFXs are not as good as one? Insight?
m
0
l
March 18, 2012 5:34:10 PM

Looks good, and you will love the Antec 1200
m
0
l
March 18, 2012 5:39:09 PM

Good to hear its going in the right direction. Now if it was a little cheaper
m
0
l
March 18, 2012 8:01:57 PM

rodcopperbottom said:
So this is what it looks like so far:

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx...

I am still unsure about of the mobo and GFX. Since the new chipset is coming out my mobo might go down in price. Also the GFX is pretty pricey. Maybe with the 7800 series it might go down. Are you guys sure 2 decent GFXs are not as good as one? Insight?
You don't need a 850w,ever. Even for 2 powerful GPUs. Your system is better off with a TX650
And yes, everyone recommends one powerful GPU than two mediocre ones. It has more stability, performance, less power consumption, etc.
You should just use your current GPU until Keplar releases, I think in the first week of April. The time is coming so just hold off on the GPUs.
An ASUS Sabertooth X79 is much cheaper (although still expensive) than the ROG series and it's mostly the same.
m
0
l
March 19, 2012 4:28:56 AM

rodcopperbottom said:
An updated version(without a reasonable GPU, waiting):

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx...

Thoughts? I also am contemplating switching out the Rampage for a Sabertooth as suggested above. Thank you so much for the help guys.
CM Storm Trooper is a case you should have in mind, although, it's just another option. Cases come down to personal preference.
A SAMSUNG 830 120GB is cheaper and faster. Proof

Everything else looks great!
m
0
l
March 19, 2012 5:10:23 AM

Personally i will advice you against choosing cases, which require you to put Hard drive from inside the case. Given how big the GFX are these days, and most of us eventually end up having more then 1 or 2 HD.

When i first built my case long time ago i choose similar Tower. Every time i did my regular maintenance and clean up, i had to remove both my GFX to take my drives out. Its just extra work, but if you cool with that then no worry.

Or if that case has front loading bays then dont worry about it.

EDIT:
NVM LOL. Just realize its a full tower. GfX be sitting way above HD space.
m
0
l
March 20, 2012 11:38:40 PM

The CM Storm Trooper is cheaper and the PSU is way to big. A TX650 will be fine.
m
0
l
March 21, 2012 5:13:56 PM

So this is what I have after revisions. I need an overlook on this to make sure every part is adequate and compatible. Keep in mind this is without a video card because I have yet to decide to wait or to pick one now. Any insight? Thank you so much for the feedback :) 

Part list permalink: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/5VZE
Part price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/5VZE/by_merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($279.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100 92.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($94.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($137.86 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($179.00 @ Adorama)
Case: Antec Twelve Hundred V3 ATX Full Tower Case ($157.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Corsair 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Lite-On IHBS112-04 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Asus VS238H-P 23.0" Monitor ($169.99 @ NCIX US)
Keyboard: Das Keyboard DASK3PROMS1 Wired Standard Keyboard ($144.99 @ Newegg)
Mouse: Cooler Master SGM-2001-BLON1 Wired Optical Mouse ($26.99 @ Mac Mall)
Total: $1631.76
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated 2012-03-21 14:11 EDT-0400)

Here is the newegg version:

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx...
m
0
l
March 21, 2012 9:33:08 PM

rodcopperbottom said:
So this is what I have after revisions. I need an overlook on this to make sure every part is adequate and compatible. Keep in mind this is without a video card because I have yet to decide to wait or to pick one now. Any insight? Thank you so much for the feedback :) 

Part list permalink: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/5VZE
Part price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/5VZE/by_merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($279.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100 92.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($94.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($137.86 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($179.00 @ Adorama)
Case: Antec Twelve Hundred V3 ATX Full Tower Case ($157.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Corsair 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Lite-On IHBS112-04 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Asus VS238H-P 23.0" Monitor ($169.99 @ NCIX US)
Keyboard: Das Keyboard DASK3PROMS1 Wired Standard Keyboard ($144.99 @ Newegg)
Mouse: Cooler Master SGM-2001-BLON1 Wired Optical Mouse ($26.99 @ Mac Mall)
Total: $1631.76
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated 2012-03-21 14:11 EDT-0400)

Here is the newegg version:

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx...
It looks fine. Have fun on your build!
m
0
l
!