I don't know why it happened but that started after I got my new custom computer that I built and everything were fine until I had a problem with Windows 8 with overclocking. At that time it was messy so I formatted it and installed Windows 8 again. Everything went great than expected until I started playing games. Those freeze issues exists on most of any games, especially Dota 2 and WoW. My games kept freezing on Dota 2 every 20-30 for 0.5 seconds and every 1 minute for 1 second on WoW. Though, it look okay on the desktop screen. Before you're asking me about my hard drive and SSD. I'm using Intel program called Intel Rapid Storage Technology to use SSD as a cache device for my HDD in RAID mode. I don't think it's the issue for games, right?
Though, it could be my PSU or motherboard.
Here's my computers spec:
CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus Maximus V Gene Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory
Storage: Intel 330 Series 60GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti 3GB Video Card
Power Supply: OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply
Also I used SpeedFan to check my temperature during WoW and Dota 2. It look okay to me.
It was smooth on youtube and other programs but not video games. Here's what I've done so far.
- Downgraded to 1204 from 1604 BIOS versions, no change. 1604 was the latest version.
- Downgraded Nvidia driver for GTX 660 TI down to 306.97 from 310.90. No changes.
- Tried to use single monitor instead of dual monitors, no luck.
- Used DPS Latency Checker, constant 100 us, and had 400-700 us spikes once every 10 minutes. I believe it's normal.
- Reformatted Windows 8, no luck and then I reformatted the entire hard drive to install Windows 7 and didn't work out well. Went back to Windows 8. Still no luck.
- Passed on both HDD and SSD using Seatool with a Long Test option.
- Passed on RAMs using Memtest (Did it overnight)
- Switched video card and used roommate's video card (470 GTX) no change, still freezing on games.
- Tried different versions of BIOS for motherboard, no changes.
- Tried to do different level of overclocking on RAMs and CPU to see if it make any changes, it didn't.
- I put the video card in the second PCI-E slot, no difference.
It's getting annoying. It's completely normal on desktops and other stuff but not on games. That's pissing me off. Also, I don't know if it's related with gaming freezing but I'm getting BSOD with MEMORY_MANAGEMENT, PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED and SYSTEM SERVICE EXCEPTION errors.
I thought maybe it's related with drivers. After I downgraded drivers. The programs still remains the same and it's seem to go away after I reformatted my Windows 8 but the freeze still exist on gaming. Could it be related?
After everything I've done since three days (on and off) and leaving me only with PSU and motherboard. What should I do? Try to use roommate's PSU and see if it'll solve the problem? I still need help.