Sign in with
Your question

Should a Wired router be dropping my speed by almost 10mbps?

Last response: in Networking
January 9, 2011 6:29:27 PM

I have had a Linksys WRT54G router for quite a few years now. I use it for wireless in most of my house, but on my main gaming pc, I have it directly connected via the ethernet cord.

After getting frustrated with slow speeds, I removed the router from the equation and directly connected the modem to my pc. My download speed went from 16mbps, to 25. Should a router really be causing this much speed loss? I have 3 other computers connected to the network, so is it possible that they are the reason for the speed loss?

I just don't have a clue when it comes to networking. It's the one IT area that I just completely suck at.

Thanks for the help.
January 11, 2011 2:18:12 PM

Sabiancym said:
I have had a Linksys WRT54G router for quite a few years now. I use it for wireless in most of my house, but on my main gaming pc, I have it directly connected via the ethernet cord.

After getting frustrated with slow speeds, I removed the router from the equation and directly connected the modem to my pc. My download speed went from 16mbps, to 25. Should a router really be causing this much speed loss? I have 3 other computers connected to the network, so is it possible that they are the reason for the speed loss?

I just don't have a clue when it comes to networking. It's the one IT area that I just completely suck at.

Thanks for the help.

Hi Sabiancym,

Yes , in your Network the Total Bandwidth is shared with all Computers. b'coz of you are not able to use total bandwidth of your Network.
m
l
January 11, 2011 4:55:55 PM

Yes the router could slow down your speed.
I would suggest you run an anti-spyware program and walware removal program from all the computers to make sure none of the were eating up the bandwidth.

As another test, put the router back into the config and make sure none of the other computers are connected to it. Run your speed tests again and see if it still drops.
m
l
January 14, 2011 1:06:07 AM

it's because of the 3 computers...especially if they're actively using them
m
l
!