Which one Gtx 580 or 6970

ronakk

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2011
I have enough for one of these cards but i don't know which one i should get. I am trying to build a bf3 ready PC i will be Sli/Crossfiring which ever one i get in the future i wanna know if its better to go with the 580 or is it a waste of an extra 150$ Per card.

Well, we don't know your resolution. Hard to say if its a waste but at 1080p you likely won't notice much difference. The nVidia card is faster, but for me its not $150 faster. If you are building a monster rig and you want to brag to everyone about how many frames per second your getting, than maybe vanity is worth $150.

The are supposed to come with any motherboard that is capable of SLI but you should be able to buy one for $10 or so.

for BF3, a single HD 6970 or GTX 570 will do the Job, even your current GTX 560Ti will run BF3 with 50+ FPS and you'll be more than just fine if you do some overclocks.

if you don't wanna experience the SLI issues and the massive drops in FPS....etc I suggest you go with a single powerful GPU such as the GTX 580 or better wait for the new AMD HD 7K GPUs, said to be released on December 6, the high end HD 7K series are equipped with the new XDR2 rambus memory which is twive faster than GDDR5, besides the 28nm process and 1 GHz GPU frequency.

Aside from drivers and hardware configuration, when running two GPUs in SLI/ CF you might experience what's called " Microstuttering" explained recently by tomshardware, this issue is more noticeable with low end GPUs configurations such as HD 6850s and barely noticeable with powerful GPUs (GTX 560TI & HD 6950) and higher.
when going with a 3-way SLI/CF the "Microstuttering" never existed.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-stutter-crossfire,2995.html

Ninja Pants

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
If your planning on CF/SLI in the future then of the two options you mentioned the 6970 is definitely the better choice (You can get 3 6970's for the price of 2 580's and they even outperform 3 580's in many games). The 580 is the faster single card, slightly, but it is expensive. If you want bang for your buck forget the 580. jyjjy has a good point.