Budget Gaming - Recording 960t?

scyin

Honorable
Mar 17, 2012
My system just crapped out on me "old Core 2 D with a 4870". I'm pricing out a build to replace it and these CPUs are all driving me nuts on which one to go with.

I'm basically at the below list:

960t
FX 4100
FX 6100
FX 8120 (the wattage scares me)
Note:: I dont have to stay with these specifics if there is a better choice, but in this price range though.
Memory - 8gigs
This build will be using an HD 6850 GPU by Sapphire. I do want to stick with AMD as I've never had one and want this to be the first.

Tasks:
Gaming - Mainly BF3 (lower settings), League of Legends, LFD2, Minecraft, all the basic stuff.
Recording - I do gameplay commentary so I record a lot of footage.
LiveStreaming - same as recording but streaming to twitch.tv

Not sure if this helps in the a decision but I would REALLY appreciate any suggestions. Most of the posts I've read so far are just a toss up and I really don't wanna screw myself over and have to upgrade in 6 months. This CPU needs to handle most gaming for the next year or 2, but not at ULTRA settings just average levels.

scyin

Honorable
Mar 17, 2012
I'm trying to stay around 600ish , I built out a system that was amd based with a 4100 at 589. If I can stay around the 600 range with a intel setup I guess I can do that.

I do not use Fraps, I use DxTory for all my recording. Fraps was a massive hog on my system so I had to switch.

I really didn't think much about my old parts but I guess I could keep the Case / PSU and 1 of the drives (sata 7200 1tb).

if so then:
CPU
GPU
Memory
MB

would be all I'd need.

scyin

Honorable
Mar 17, 2012

scyin

Honorable
Mar 17, 2012

Would the 960t be a smarter option over the i5? since it has a possible 6 core unlock.

Uther39

Distinguished

Very good advice and good component recommendations here, +1

scyin

Honorable
Mar 17, 2012

Thank you very much for the detail and time out of your day / night to get me the links and information. I'm building out a total replacement right now. I've always just read the forums and only signed up last night to ask this question. I'm glad I did.