Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Budget Gaming - Recording 960t?

Last response: in CPUs
March 18, 2012 3:29:05 AM

My system just crapped out on me "old Core 2 D with a 4870". I'm pricing out a build to replace it and these CPUs are all driving me nuts on which one to go with.

I'm basically at the below list:

960t
FX 4100
FX 6100
FX 8120 (the wattage scares me)
Note:: I dont have to stay with these specifics if there is a better choice, but in this price range though.
Memory - 8gigs
This build will be using an HD 6850 GPU by Sapphire. I do want to stick with AMD as I've never had one and want this to be the first.

Tasks:
Gaming - Mainly BF3 (lower settings), League of Legends, LFD2, Minecraft, all the basic stuff.
Recording - I do gameplay commentary so I record a lot of footage.
LiveStreaming - same as recording but streaming to twitch.tv

Not sure if this helps in the a decision but I would REALLY appreciate any suggestions. Most of the posts I've read so far are just a toss up and I really don't wanna screw myself over and have to upgrade in 6 months. This CPU needs to handle most gaming for the next year or 2, but not at ULTRA settings just average levels.

a b à CPUs
March 18, 2012 4:25:32 AM

What is your budget? Are you keeping any parts from your old machine?
Related resources
March 18, 2012 4:29:50 AM

Go with at least an Intel i3 depending on your budget.
March 18, 2012 4:40:45 AM

I'm trying to stay around 600ish , I built out a system that was amd based with a 4100 at 589. If I can stay around the 600 range with a intel setup I guess I can do that.

I do not use Fraps, I use DxTory for all my recording. Fraps was a massive hog on my system so I had to switch.

I really didn't think much about my old parts but I guess I could keep the Case / PSU and 1 of the drives (sata 7200 1tb).

if so then:
CPU
GPU
Memory
MB

would be all I'd need.
a b à CPUs
March 18, 2012 5:03:20 AM

scyin said:
I'm trying to stay around 600ish , I built out a system that was amd based with a 4100 at 589. If I can stay around the 600 range with a intel setup I guess I can do that.

I do not use Fraps, I use DxTory for all my recording. Fraps was a massive hog on my system so I had to switch.

I really didn't think much about my old parts but I guess I could keep the Case / PSU and 1 of the drives (sata 7200 1tb).

if so then:
CPU
GPU
Memory
MB

would be all I'd need.

What is the model of your old PSU? You may want to pick up something more up to date depending on what it is.
a b à CPUs
March 18, 2012 5:12:43 AM
March 18, 2012 5:32:23 AM

Would the 960t be a smarter option over the i5? since it has a possible 6 core unlock.

Best solution

a b à CPUs
March 18, 2012 6:10:00 AM

scyin said:
Would the 960t be a smarter option over the i5? since it has a possible 6 core unlock.

If it unlocks to 6 cores, it trades blows with the i7s, especially in the area of video encoding and stuff of that nature. You can also get a more complete overhaul for the money by doing the AMD system. For your budget, I would go with AMD. If you were going to spend about $1000 or more, I would go strictly Intel. Performance wise, you will be happy either way. However, I suggest going with a full rebuild since you are getting the same relative performance in the CPU, yet you are updating everything. Your power supply simply isn't going to cut it. That Raidmax PSU you have is pretty terrible. I'm surprised you haven't had a failure yet to be perfectly honest. With regard to the computer case, the HAF912 actually has cable management, much better airflow, and a bottom mount for the PSU. Your current case looks nice, but isn't doing your equipment any favors with severe airflow restriction, cheap fans, and a top mount for the PSU.

In addition to my list, I suggest seriously considering a "splurge" item. A solid state drive such as the Crucial M4 128 ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... ). Use it for your OS, programs, and games. Use your existing 1TB drive for storage and other non-critical software. Crucial is on the top of everyone's list for SSDs. I warn you though, once you have an SSD as your boot drive, you will never go back.
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
March 18, 2012 9:36:11 AM

iknowhowtofixit said:
If it unlocks to 6 cores, it trades blows with the i7s, especially in the area of video encoding and stuff of that nature. You can also get a more complete overhaul for the money by doing the AMD system. For your budget, I would go with AMD. If you were going to spend about $1000 or more, I would go strictly Intel. Performance wise, you will be happy either way. However, I suggest going with a full rebuild since you are getting the same relative performance in the CPU, yet you are updating everything. Your power supply simply isn't going to cut it. That Raidmax PSU you have is pretty terrible. I'm surprised you haven't had a failure yet to be perfectly honest. With regard to the computer case, the HAF912 actually has cable management, much better airflow, and a bottom mount for the PSU. Your current case looks nice, but isn't doing your equipment any favors with severe airflow restriction, cheap fans, and a top mount for the PSU.

In addition to my list, I suggest seriously considering a "splurge" item. A solid state drive such as the Crucial M4 128 ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... ). Use it for your OS, programs, and games. Use your existing 1TB drive for storage and other non-critical software. Crucial is on the top of everyone's list for SSDs. I warn you though, once you have an SSD as your boot drive, you will never go back.

Very good advice and good component recommendations here, +1
March 18, 2012 12:38:22 PM

Best answer selected by Scyin.
March 18, 2012 12:39:35 PM

iknowhowtofixit said:

Thank you very much for the detail and time out of your day / night to get me the links and information. I'm building out a total replacement right now. I've always just read the forums and only signed up last night to ask this question. I'm glad I did.
March 18, 2012 1:06:19 PM

even if it the 960t doesnt unlock its still a pretty safe bet you can get it to 4 ghz with a minimal voltage increase, (not with the included hsf though)
!