First time computer builder, need advice

montychuck

Honorable
Mar 17, 2012
Been hearing a lot how building your own computer is so easy and relatively cheap, but the problem is I have no idea on what parts to pick. I'd be using the computer mainly for gaming (Skyrim, Fallout: New Vegas, IL2-Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover), ideally on maxed settings and with the option of running some more demanding games in the near future. So my question is, would it be possible, and if so what parts to use, to build a pc capable of this under $1000? Recommendations or links to complete builds would be appreciated.

As for the actual assembling of the pc, I'm assuming it's for the most part "plug the blue wire into the blue socket"? I'm aware of the ESD issue, but other than that are there any other considerations when assembling it other than being gentle with the parts etc?

rage33

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
Absolute best thing to do is research everything you want to know about. there are a million tutorials and suggestions. Toms does their own suggested builds based on price range. Also do be afraid to spend a few hours on youtube and watch some video tutorials on how to build your own PC.

montychuck

Honorable
Mar 17, 2012
Processor Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge-based 3.3 GHz CPU $220
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 LGA 1155 Motherboard $119
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8 GB DDR3-1066 Kit (2 x 4 GB) $48
Graphics Card Sapphire Radeon HD 6950 2 GB $265
Hard Drive Seagate Barracuda 1 TB 7200 RPM 3.5" Hard Drive $55
Case Cooler Master HAF 912 Mid-Tower $55
Power Supply Corsair Enthusiast TX750 750 W 80 PLUS $110
DVD Burner Lite-On iHAS124 24x DVD±RW Drive $19

-------------------------------------------

Any recommendations on graphic cards around ~$300-$350, or will this one do? Also, would the power supply need to be upgraded along with it?

Uther39

Distinguished

That one will do you nicely, good components choice on everything just add a coolermaster hyper 212 evo cpu cooler for around $30 and your good to go?

montychuck

Honorable
Mar 17, 2012

Alright, thanks. I'll need to get some of that thermal paste stuff too?

bearclaw99

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2010

You'll want DDR3 1333 or higher, not 1066 mhz
A Nvidia 560 GTX Ti will be as good or better for less $$

montychuck

Honorable
Mar 17, 2012
7870 looks good, I'm a bit lost on names though. Are the various versions (Asus, Sapphire, Msi) generally the same card with minor differences? Any particular brand known to be more reliable?

rage33

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
Brand isn't as important when it comes to graphic cards, you want to look at features like warranty, cooler attached to said video card, size and length for you specific case. As far as performance the brand won't effect that. XFX for example offers a double lifetime warranty for many of their cards, where as MSI has the highly touted Twin Frozer series coolers. So really it comes down to what you're looking for and what is important to you.

Just a handy tip; reference models with the closed fan system(looks like a jet engine fan) are usually much louder than non-reference models (open air cooling designs) so if noise is important I'd stay away from reference designs.

montychuck

Honorable
Mar 17, 2012
Processor Intel Core i5-2500
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 LGA 1155 Motherboard
RAM G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1333
Graphics Card Radeon HD 7870
Hard Drive Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200 RPM 3.5"
Case Cooler Master HAF 912 Mid-Tower
Power Supply CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W
DVD Burner LITE-ON SATA Model iHAS424-98

---------------------

Considering I don't plan on overclocking or any fancy crossfire/sli, will the 650w psu be enough? Other than that, I'll have a look at some of the 7870 cards and I think I'm good to go?

spleenbegone

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012

A quick glance over on newegg looks like all those parts are compatible. The power supply should be more than enough to run it all, and the motherboard would allow you to crossfire later if you decide to do so. I have two suggestions though. One is that, if you don't mind spending a bit extra, get a small SSD for the boot drive. The load times because of it would be very nice. The second is to get 1600 RAM instead of 1333 if you can find it at the same price, or slightly more.

Good luck on your new build. :)

cmi86

Distinguished

I would advise passing on the evo and just sticking with the 212+ The evo's **MINIMAL** gains no where near justify it's price difference. You would be much better served by the 212+ with some good thermal paste and a couple decent fans in a push pull configuration.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
If you are itching to get that computer than dont wait. However at this point, although I do not usually advocate it: I would wait until Kepler and Ivy Bridge come out.

Many times people say to wait 4-6months for next hardware, but I never advise that since you can spend your whole life waiting for the next hardware. Hardware advances at neck braking speed. However, according to many sources, Kepler GPU's and Ivy Bridge CPU's should be out very shortly...next month perhaps.