Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

First time computer builder, need advice

Last response: in CPUs
Share
March 18, 2012 3:53:38 AM

Been hearing a lot how building your own computer is so easy and relatively cheap, but the problem is I have no idea on what parts to pick. I'd be using the computer mainly for gaming (Skyrim, Fallout: New Vegas, IL2-Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover), ideally on maxed settings and with the option of running some more demanding games in the near future. So my question is, would it be possible, and if so what parts to use, to build a pc capable of this under $1000? Recommendations or links to complete builds would be appreciated.

As for the actual assembling of the pc, I'm assuming it's for the most part "plug the blue wire into the blue socket"? I'm aware of the ESD issue, but other than that are there any other considerations when assembling it other than being gentle with the parts etc?
a b à CPUs
March 18, 2012 3:56:07 AM

Absolute best thing to do is research everything you want to know about. there are a million tutorials and suggestions. Toms does their own suggested builds based on price range. Also do be afraid to spend a few hours on youtube and watch some video tutorials on how to build your own PC.
m
0
l
March 18, 2012 4:01:37 AM

Watch youtube videos about it. That's how I learned. And ask questions. That's how I learned even more.

m
0
l
Related resources
March 18, 2012 6:36:55 AM

Processor Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge-based 3.3 GHz CPU $220
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 LGA 1155 Motherboard $119
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8 GB DDR3-1066 Kit (2 x 4 GB) $48
Graphics Card Sapphire Radeon HD 6950 2 GB $265
Hard Drive Seagate Barracuda 1 TB 7200 RPM 3.5" Hard Drive $55
Case Cooler Master HAF 912 Mid-Tower $55
Power Supply Corsair Enthusiast TX750 750 W 80 PLUS $110
DVD Burner Lite-On iHAS124 24x DVD±RW Drive $19

-------------------------------------------

Any recommendations on graphic cards around ~$300-$350, or will this one do? Also, would the power supply need to be upgraded along with it?
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
March 18, 2012 9:20:16 AM

montychuck said:
Processor Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge-based 3.3 GHz CPU $220
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 LGA 1155 Motherboard $119
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8 GB DDR3-1066 Kit (2 x 4 GB) $48
Graphics Card Sapphire Radeon HD 6950 2 GB $265
Hard Drive Seagate Barracuda 1 TB 7200 RPM 3.5" Hard Drive $55
Case Cooler Master HAF 912 Mid-Tower $55
Power Supply Corsair Enthusiast TX750 750 W 80 PLUS $110
DVD Burner Lite-On iHAS124 24x DVD±RW Drive $19

-------------------------------------------

Any recommendations on graphic cards around ~$300-$350, or will this one do? Also, would the power supply need to be upgraded along with it?



That one will do you nicely, good components choice on everything just add a coolermaster hyper 212 evo cpu cooler for around $30 and your good to go?
m
0
l
March 18, 2012 7:10:03 PM

Uther39 said:
That one will do you nicely, good components choice on everything just add a coolermaster hyper 212 evo cpu cooler for around $30 and your good to go?


Alright, thanks. I'll need to get some of that thermal paste stuff too?
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
March 18, 2012 7:14:00 PM

Uther39 said:
That one will do you nicely, good components choice on everything just add a coolermaster hyper 212 evo cpu cooler for around $30 and your good to go?


You'll want DDR3 1333 or higher, not 1066 mhz
A Nvidia 560 GTX Ti will be as good or better for less $$
m
0
l
March 18, 2012 7:16:42 PM

You should wait until the 7870 is out, it's better than the 6950 at around your price point that you suggested.

I'd drop the PSU to 600 W.
m
0
l
March 19, 2012 3:24:40 AM

7870 looks good, I'm a bit lost on names though. Are the various versions (Asus, Sapphire, Msi) generally the same card with minor differences? Any particular brand known to be more reliable?
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
March 19, 2012 5:30:18 AM

Brand isn't as important when it comes to graphic cards, you want to look at features like warranty, cooler attached to said video card, size and length for you specific case. As far as performance the brand won't effect that. XFX for example offers a double lifetime warranty for many of their cards, where as MSI has the highly touted Twin Frozer series coolers. So really it comes down to what you're looking for and what is important to you.

Just a handy tip; reference models with the closed fan system(looks like a jet engine fan) are usually much louder than non-reference models (open air cooling designs) so if noise is important I'd stay away from reference designs.
m
0
l
a c 186 à CPUs
March 19, 2012 5:59:41 AM

montychuck said:
Alright, thanks. I'll need to get some of that thermal paste stuff too?

212 already comes with it! :) 
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
March 19, 2012 6:04:41 AM

If you're not going to overclock your CPU, then you can get the i5-2500 (non-k) and use the stock heatsink/fan and put the extra 50$ towards a better graphics card.
m
0
l
March 19, 2012 8:29:39 AM

Processor Intel Core i5-2500
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 LGA 1155 Motherboard
RAM G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1333
Graphics Card Radeon HD 7870
Hard Drive Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200 RPM 3.5"
Case Cooler Master HAF 912 Mid-Tower
Power Supply CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W
DVD Burner LITE-ON SATA Model iHAS424-98

---------------------

Considering I don't plan on overclocking or any fancy crossfire/sli, will the 650w psu be enough? Other than that, I'll have a look at some of the 7870 cards and I think I'm good to go?
m
0
l
March 19, 2012 9:30:22 AM

I appreciate the tip, but I'm pretty set on this one. Just need to know if all the parts are compatible.
m
0
l
March 19, 2012 3:11:26 PM

montychuck said:
Processor Intel Core i5-2500
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 LGA 1155 Motherboard
RAM G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1333
Graphics Card Radeon HD 7870
Hard Drive Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200 RPM 3.5"
Case Cooler Master HAF 912 Mid-Tower
Power Supply CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W
DVD Burner LITE-ON SATA Model iHAS424-98

---------------------

Considering I don't plan on overclocking or any fancy crossfire/sli, will the 650w psu be enough? Other than that, I'll have a look at some of the 7870 cards and I think I'm good to go?

A quick glance over on newegg looks like all those parts are compatible. The power supply should be more than enough to run it all, and the motherboard would allow you to crossfire later if you decide to do so. I have two suggestions though. One is that, if you don't mind spending a bit extra, get a small SSD for the boot drive. The load times because of it would be very nice. The second is to get 1600 RAM instead of 1333 if you can find it at the same price, or slightly more.

Good luck on your new build. :) 
m
0
l
a c 186 à CPUs
March 19, 2012 4:17:03 PM

Just get the 2500k, in a few years you will understand why.
m
0
l
a c 79 à CPUs
March 19, 2012 5:54:10 PM

Uther39 said:
That one will do you nicely, good components choice on everything just add a coolermaster hyper 212 evo cpu cooler for around $30 and your good to go?


I would advise passing on the evo and just sticking with the 212+ The evo's **MINIMAL** gains no where near justify it's price difference. You would be much better served by the 212+ with some good thermal paste and a couple decent fans in a push pull configuration.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
March 19, 2012 6:30:10 PM

If you are itching to get that computer than dont wait. However at this point, although I do not usually advocate it: I would wait until Kepler and Ivy Bridge come out.

Many times people say to wait 4-6months for next hardware, but I never advise that since you can spend your whole life waiting for the next hardware. Hardware advances at neck braking speed. However, according to many sources, Kepler GPU's and Ivy Bridge CPU's should be out very shortly...next month perhaps.
m
0
l
March 19, 2012 10:45:41 PM

Looks like I'm done then, thanks a lot for the help everyone.
m
0
l
!