Sign in with
Your question

Will applying thermal paste like this reduce it's effectiveness?

Last response: in CPUs
March 18, 2012 4:03:08 AM

If I applied it to the heatsink instead of the CPU, and smoothed it out with a business card?

March 18, 2012 4:05:14 AM

A small dot should be enough.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 18, 2012 4:08:26 AM

Impulsez said:
If I applied it to the heatsink instead of the CPU, and smoothed it out with a business card?

What model heatsink is it? If it is the direct touch heat pipe type, you apply thermal paste differently than a regular flat surface heatsink.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
March 18, 2012 4:09:26 AM

Picture would speak louder.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 18, 2012 4:13:37 AM

I would not do that, because the area of the CPU cooler is larger than the CPU itself, since it has to fit more different CPU's.

So it would be easy to get it on to the outside edge of the CPU.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 18, 2012 4:14:09 AM

nikorr said:
Picture would speak louder.

I'm not sure a picture is necessary if you know what heatsink it is (whether its a stock AMD or stock Intel or the model of whatever 3rd party heatsink it is). However, it might also be helpful to know what type of thermal paste is being used.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 18, 2012 4:16:43 AM

Somehow I assumed it was aftermarket cooler ....
m
l
a c 103 à CPUs
March 18, 2012 9:47:07 AM

You don't need to get paste to the outside edges of the heatspreader, the processors tend to be in the central area so thats the 'important' part to cover,
but yes, you can use a business card or any non-conductive item to spread the paste, onto the chip, not the Hs

This is Spire sp700 paste spread with a card, very,very thinly :p 
Moto
m
l
March 18, 2012 7:48:29 PM

Sorry for the late replay. It's a CM V8 with Intel I2500k. It's either this way or putting a vertical line on the CPU. I don't want to mess around with spreading it with a bag on the CPU and I don't want to get any paste on the edges of the CPU either with the business card either.
m
l
March 18, 2012 7:50:18 PM

& Im using artic silver 5 thermal compound
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 18, 2012 8:43:53 PM

Impulsez said:
Sorry for the late replay. It's a CM V8 with Intel I2500k. It's either this way or putting a vertical line on the CPU. I don't want to mess around with spreading it with a bag on the CPU and I don't want to get any paste on the edges of the CPU either with the business card either.

Since the CM V8 is a flat bottom HSF, just put a pea sized dab in the middle of the base. You may want to twist the HSF a little as you are setting it in place to squish the thermal compound to closer the edges. Flat bottom HSFs are typically pretty straight forward. If you want to be more obsessive about it than that, read this:
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...
m
l
!