Looking for advice on a new gaming computer

MLG Pharmacist

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2011
Have not 100% selected my set up but narrowed it down to roughly to selections. First I am building this computer for mainly gaming purposes being Warcraft and SWTOR. Looking for a medium range gaming machine.

First I was looking at the I5 2500k for about $180. However I’m lost in selecting a mobo for it. I most likely will not be over clocking it right away since I’m relatively new to creating my own computer. Some options I have come across surfing the web are:
ASRock Z68 Pro3-M Socket 1155 Z68 mATX Intel Motherboard($110)
Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 LGA 1155 Z68 ATX Intel Motherboard($160)
GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 LGA 1155 Z68 mATX Intel Motherboard($115).
Any suggestions on these mobo’s or other options around the same price range that would be better for my purposes?

Second option I came across is a bundle with Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition Six Core Boxed Processor and M5A87 Socket AM3+ 870 ATX AMD Motherboard for $240. So relative to the I5 set up, around $100+ cheaper.

For both set ups I plan on using a GTX 560 TI for my graphics card.
So I guess my main questions are the differences in those mobo’s for the I5, is it worth it for my use to get a $160 one versus a $110? And secondly, is the I5 setup versus the 1100T is it worth the extra $100+ for my use? Will I really see that much of a difference, I only want a mid range gaming machine at this point. Any other comments/advice is much appreciated. Thanks.

Solution
There have not been any games released that take advantage of 6 cores , so a quad core is all you need to do gaming. The i5-2500k is an unlocked multiplier cpu and is very easy to overclock and when paired with an Asus motherboard makes it a great overclocking combination. Asus MB are known for being overclocking friendly and with all the features that they usually come with make setting up and using hardware very easy.
Since you are open to micro-ATX boards take a look at the Asus P8Z68-M Pro it is a nice board that will allow you to overclock and at $130 is very reasonably priced. I resently used it on a build for a cousin and she loves it.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

There have not been any games released that take advantage of 6 cores , so a quad core is all you need to do gaming. The i5-2500k is an unlocked multiplier cpu and is very easy to overclock and when paired with an Asus motherboard makes it a great overclocking combination. Asus MB are known for being overclocking friendly and with all the features that they usually come with make setting up and using hardware very easy.

Solution