Sign in with
Your question

New build wouldn't boot. Then it did. Now it won't again.

Last response: in Systems
December 12, 2011 9:57:39 PM

Just assembled my first computer today:

AMD Phenom II x4 970 black edition
Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 mobo
Radeon HD 6850 gpu
Rosewill Hive 550w psu
Pareema DDR3 2gx2 ram

At first it wouldn't power up at all. So I hit the net and found the common problems thread on this here forum and followed all the steps. I struck gold when I reset the CMOS and everything powered up smoothly as I laughed gleefully. But I needed to replace my RAM due to a previous step so I powered it down and put the sticks back in and now it's back to not powering up at all. With or without the RAM. And resetting the CMOS (with or without the RAM) is no longer working either. So forgive me, but I'm pretty stumped.

edit: the little red light on the front panel is the only thing that turns on when i hit the psu switch

More about : build boot

a c 93 B Homebuilt system
December 12, 2011 11:12:42 PM

It sounds to me like it's a BIOS issue more than a CMOS issue. Check Gigabyte's support site and see if the X4 970 comes up on the list of supported CPUs and what BIOS version it requires. If you're still using the factory version you may need to perform an update to get it to work properly.
m
l
December 13, 2011 4:26:31 PM

The 970 is supported under version F1. Would it benefit me in any way to upgrade it to F3 or higher? I'm not sure what AGESA means or how I would update my BIOS if my system won't even power up.
m
l
Related resources
a c 136 B Homebuilt system
December 13, 2011 5:14:51 PM

get a speaker for the mb so you can hear the beep codes that will tell you what is wrong
m
l
December 13, 2011 6:17:53 PM

g-unit1111 said:
It sounds to me like it's a BIOS issue more than a CMOS issue. Check Gigabyte's support site and see if the X4 970 comes up on the list of supported CPUs and what BIOS version it requires. If you're still using the factory version you may need to perform an update to get it to work properly.

Hey, please excuse my piggybacking on this thread, but I'm going through no-POST issues, and I'm interested in updating the BIOS possibly being a solution.

My PC powers on, fans work, case LEDs work, hard disc spins, but I get no PC beeps (and I have a small speaker plugged into the mobo where it should be) nor HDMI signal output on my monitor.

I do not have an internal disc drive, but rather an external one, and as it is USB powered and my mobo won't POST, it won't open.

My motherboard came with a drivers disk, and I'm wondering if the lack of installing it is what is causing my no-POST issue. Would you think that is a likely candidate? And if so, would buying an internal optical drive allow me to install it even if my motherboard won't POST?

Thank you very much for any feedback, and again, sorry jamestheiii for jumping on your thread with a somewhat different issue; I was just intrigued by g-unit1111's suggestion.
m
l
December 13, 2011 6:40:02 PM

jamestheiii said:
edit: the little red light on the front panel is the only thing that turns on when i hit the psu switch

So to be clear, the red light is literally the ONLY thing that changes when you power up, no fans or anything?
m
l
!