The PSP really the original Playstation 1 shrunk down?

is the PSP really the original Playstation 1 reduced in size to a
portable version? So why buy it AGAIN??

"Bright Star" <Single_Star@webtv.net> wrote in message
> is the PSP really the original Playstation 1 reduced in size to a
> portable version? So why buy it AGAIN??

It isn't. The PSP is much closer to the PS2 (in terms of graphics) than the
PS One.

"Bright Star" <Single_Star@webtv.net> wrote in message

> is the PSP really the original Playstation 1 reduced in size to a
> portable version? So why buy it AGAIN??

No, it's not.

> is the PSP really the original Playstation 1 reduced in size to a
> portable version? So why buy it AGAIN??

Cause its really sexy, and you can play Lumines everywhere.
I can even see episodes of Arrested Development on the buss.

-Jarle

beck

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

"Jarle Hrafn Grindhaug" <jarle@[nospamingfilter]spiderman.no> wrote in
message news:426e27f3$1@news.broadpark.no...

>> is the PSP really the original Playstation 1 reduced in size to a
>> portable version? So why buy it AGAIN??
>
> Cause its really sexy, and you can play Lumines everywhere.
> I can even see episodes of Arrested Development on the buss.

I prefer Mercury to Lumines

Beck a écrit :
> "Jarle Hrafn Grindhaug" <jarle@[nospamingfilter]spiderman.no> wrote in
> message news:426e27f3$1@news.broadpark.no...
>
>>>is the PSP really the original Playstation 1 reduced in size to a
>>>portable version? So why buy it AGAIN??
>>
>>Cause its really sexy, and you can play Lumines everywhere.
>>I can even see episodes of Arrested Development on the buss.
>

> I prefer Mercury to Lumines

It's between PS1 & PS2

"Bright Star" <Single_Star@webtv.net> wrote in message
> is the PSP really the original Playstation 1 reduced in size to a
> portable version? So why buy it AGAIN??

I believe it actualy has better quality graphics than the PS2

yes it is.

"Bright Star" <Single_Star@webtv.net> wrote in message
> is the PSP really the original Playstation 1 reduced in size to a
> portable version? So why buy it AGAIN??

Its nothing like the PS1. Sound and graphics are far superior and its
portable (stating the obvious)
I recently got a Japanese Import and Im amazed with the quality.

Nick
"Bright Star" <Single_Star@webtv.net> wrote in message
> is the PSP really the original Playstation 1 reduced in size to a
> portable version? So why buy it AGAIN??

"Bright Star" <Single_Star@webtv.net> wrote in message
> is the PSP really the original Playstation 1 reduced in size to a
> portable version? So why buy it AGAIN??

No. Scalability down using PS 2 baseline.

Cheers,
LG.

"Yoldone" <testcoupe@magic.fr> wrote in message
> Beck a écrit :
> > "Jarle Hrafn Grindhaug" <jarle@[nospamingfilter]spiderman.no> wrote in
> > message news:426e27f3$1@news.broadpark.no...

> >>Cause its really sexy, and you can play Lumines everywhere.
> >>I can even see episodes of Arrested Development on the buss.
> >

> > I prefer Mercury to Lumines
> >

> It's between PS1 & PS2

But closer to the PS2. I'd say the graphics are comparable to the
Dreamcast.

"Sean D" <nospam@nospam.ca> wrote in message

> "Yoldone" <testcoupe@magic.fr> wrote in message
>> Beck a écrit :
>> > "Jarle Hrafn Grindhaug" <jarle@[nospamingfilter]spiderman.no> wrote in
>> > message news:426e27f3$1@news.broadpark.no...

>> > I prefer Mercury to Lumines
>> >

>> It's between PS1 & PS2
>
> But closer to the PS2. I'd say the graphics are comparable to the
> Dreamcast.

?

No.

No. PSP is much closer to the PS2 than the PS1. Graphics (and audio)
on PSP are dramatically superior to PS1 and comparable to PS2. the PSP
is not directly based on either the PS1 or the PS2, although it has
many similarities to PS2 in terms of processing and graphics
capability. the original PlayStation (PS1 and PSOne) has no
floating-point math capability whatsoever. whereas both the PS2 and
the PSP are heavily based on floating-point. in terms of polygon
performance the PSP is between the Dreamcast and PS2. If you want to
only compare PSP to PS1 and PS2, the PSP is then between the PS1 and
PS2, but much closer to the PS2.

why buy PSP? because it has, and will have games that are not on PS1
and could never be done on PS1. plus you can take it with you as a
truly portable handheld unit, unlike PS2, PS1 or even a PSOne with
attached screen.

"Mattinglyfan" <Estoscacahuates@comcast.net (deez nuts)> wrote in message

> "Sean D" <nospam@nospam.ca> wrote in message
> >
> > "Yoldone" <testcoupe@magic.fr> wrote in message

> >> It's between PS1 & PS2
> >
> > But closer to the PS2. I'd say the graphics are comparable to the
> > Dreamcast.
> >

> ?
>
> No.

Wow, what intelligent conversation. Care to make a counter-point to prove
your comment? I'm basing my judgement on Ridge Racer which looks damn fine.
It's got jaggies but is far superior to the PS1, thus the Dreamcast
comparison. What the basis of your assanine comment?

> "Mattinglyfan" <Estoscacahuates@comcast.net (deez nuts)> wrote in message
>>
>> "Sean D" <nospam@nospam.ca> wrote in message
>> >
>> > "Yoldone" <testcoupe@magic.fr> wrote in message
> in

>> > But closer to the PS2. I'd say the graphics are comparable to the
>> > Dreamcast.
>> >

>> ?
>>
>> No.
>>

> Wow, what intelligent conversation. Care to make a counter-point to prove
> your comment? I'm basing my judgement on Ridge Racer which looks damn
> fine.
> It's got jaggies but is far superior to the PS1, thus the Dreamcast
> comparison. What the basis of your assanine comment?

Wow, it is amazing how someone who has the nerve to question the
intelligence of a "conversation" could rely on sarcasm and name calling to
make a point. My mistake was assuming that people who participate in
threads actually READ the things that other people write. If they did that,
they would already have the answer because I have stated many times
previously where I feel the PSP falls in the graphics chain of things. I
chose not to repeat myself because redundancy does not make a point valid.
Do some research if you want to know what I mean rather than being lazy.
The only thing "assanine" (asinine) about this whole conversation is how
personally you took someone disagreeing with you.

"Sean D" <nospam@nospam.ca> wrote in message

> "Mattinglyfan" <Estoscacahuates@comcast.net (deez nuts)> wrote in message
>>
>> "Sean D" <nospam@nospam.ca> wrote in message
>> >
>> > "Yoldone" <testcoupe@magic.fr> wrote in message
> in

>> > But closer to the PS2. I'd say the graphics are comparable to the
>> > Dreamcast.
>> >

>> ?
>>
>> No.
>>

> Wow, what intelligent conversation. Care to make a counter-point to prove
> your comment? I'm basing my judgement on Ridge Racer which looks damn
> fine.
> It's got jaggies but is far superior to the PS1, thus the Dreamcast
> comparison. What the basis of your assanine comment?

From a Kinda development standpoint, the psp does lie between the ps1 and
ps2..
if anyone cares, or wants to flame, I worked on F1 2004, and now 2005 and i
have good friends who just complete Wipeout PSP.
From seeing their artwork, I'd say it's essentially a PS2 with reduced
memory - similar processing ability with reduced space for gemoetry and
textures..

The Dreamcast was apparently an awesome console to develop for, Huge texture
memory and decent Geometry handling,
superior to the PS2 technically, but without the Sony marketting machine it
didn't stand much chance in the west.

it's difficult i think to compare the psp to any other console in terms of
its graphics, the size and clarity of the PSP screen is unlike anything ever
used for games, and without the CRT of a TV to dither pixels together, it
forces developers into absolute honesty, artwork-wise..
it shits all over the DS' screens, and in fact any other handheld that has
ever been, (save perhaps PDA screens, but i never saw 60fps 3D graphics on a
pda yet).

I've had my psp since early January (from play-asia.. who didn't warn me
about the hefty import tax.. thanks chaps..) and I haven't really looked
back,
am hopin at some point to get a european one, but september 1st is a while
away..

I desperately hope the psp takes off in europe, it's a truly great product..

nick.