Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Gts 450 with this CPU?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
October 17, 2011 12:53:03 AM

Hi everyone! i am looking at getting a graphics card and i have settled on a gts 450, i was just a bit curious on whether my system would accept it or not. my system specs are below. i have seen some youtube videos and it seems other people with a similar setup can run games just fine. my question are= Will my cpu bottleneck this card? also what power supply should i get??? because the one i have at the moment dousnt have a graphics card connector?

Asus M5A78L-MLX motherboard
AMD Athlon II X2 255 dual core 3.1Ghz
4Gb ddr3 ram
No graphics card....

I dont mind playing games at a lower resolution like 1280x1024 is what i want minimum.. my monitor goes upto 1680x1050.

More about : gts 450 cpu

a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
October 17, 2011 12:55:30 AM

it will work fine, make sure your PSU has at least 20a on its 12v rail

some budget PSU are the corsair 430w v2, antec neo eco 400w, antec earth watt series 380w & 430w

Score
0
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
October 17, 2011 1:07:13 AM

a 430w should be fine as long as you have a decent amount of amps on the 12v rail, what make & model is the PSU?
Score
0
October 17, 2011 1:17:30 AM

theres nothing on my current psu, it just came with the case, im willing to buy a new one, but if this is good enough then ill stick with it, btw te case was like $30
well i was going to list the info about my pSU but when i looked at the side of the psu but i have no idea what is what! its confusing i dont know where the amps are listed and all that.....
Score
0
October 17, 2011 1:43:18 AM

dirtyferret said:
a 430w should be fine as long as you have a decent amount of amps on the 12v rail, what make & model is the PSU?

Well thanks, but as i said, i dont understand whats on my PSU, so here are 2 images of my computer
http://imageshack.us/g/28/dscf0211v.jpg/
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
October 17, 2011 2:09:06 AM

The rating a=on the 12v rail is only 15 so you probably should get a new power supply.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
October 17, 2011 2:09:51 AM

oh sorry it's only 12 even more of a reason to get a new one
Score
0
October 17, 2011 2:14:44 AM

Hey I have been running an old Athlon 5600+ with a couple of new cards. It did not bottleneck the 5670 or the 5770. You will see smooth performance. Couple of suggestions though:

1. Case PSU's have an extremely low efficiency. Power makes a huge difference. My case PSU would run my 5670 but upgrading to a branded PSU made a massive difference. Even something cheap like a corsair HX520 will do.

2. When you run games at 1680x1050 you might notice framing. Increase the graphics settings to shift the bottleneck to the GPU. Run FRAPS to see what settings you get a smooth 30 fps at least. Initially keep all settings high and AA=0. See what happens.

3. Please bundle your wires. Tie them with pieces of plastic cabling or stapling to open up airflow. It makes a massive difference.

Let us know what happens? Also which country are you from?
Score
0
October 17, 2011 2:21:53 AM

Hello, Thanks for the replies. im from australia i get most of my components from here www.mwave.com.au but for the sake of time i might just go to the local store here www.aaapcparts.com.au can u link me to any of the products? preferably at aaa pc parts that i should get?? thanks again! and also. should i get a new cpu fan?? im just useing the stock one...
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
October 17, 2011 2:22:41 AM

holdingholder said:
oh sorry it's only 12 even more of a reason to get a new one


wrong on both tries, his 12v rail has been split with 12a on one split and 15a on the other. while it does not state what his total 12v output is, its enough for the GTS450.
Score
0
October 17, 2011 2:24:54 AM

by the way ill probly be going there in a few hours, so if you guys are awesome i could have finished this by the end of the day =))))
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
October 17, 2011 2:31:28 AM

adz719 said:
Hello, Thanks for the replies. im from australia i get most of my components from here www.mwave.com.au but for the sake of time i might just go to the local store here www.aaapcparts.com.au can u link me to any of the products? preferably at aaa pc parts that i should get?? thanks again! and also. should i get a new cpu fan?? im just useing the stock one...


you have a generic PSU which is not great but it should run your GTS450 with no issue, the card barely draws power. as is, you won't break 225w during gaming with your current set-up. upgrading a PSU though is always a good decsion, unfortunately the aaapcpart stores has over priced PSU and none are all that good. if you want a solid budget PSU I would look at the corsair 430 v2 from mwave
http://www.mwave.com.au/sku-34040743-Corsair_Builder_Se...

if you want something with more power, check out the antec earth watt 500w

the stock fan is fine for a CPU at stock settings or a slight over clock. after market coolers will lower temps (although the athlon does run cool) and lower noise.
Score
0
October 17, 2011 2:41:01 AM

so its ok for me to buy the graphics card today, and later on buy the PSU when i have the money? I hope this is correct =) Because i would be very happy. so from what i read on your post about my PSU, (excuse my ignorance on PSU's) does this meen that i have 27a on my 12v rail???? (12a + 15a) thanks again!
Score
0

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
October 17, 2011 2:48:31 AM

adz719 said:
so its ok for me to buy the graphics card today, and later on buy the PSU when i have the money? I hope this is correct =) Because i would be very happy. so from what i read on your post about my PSU, (excuse my ignorance on PSU's) does this meen that i have 27a on my 12v rail???? (12a + 15a) thanks again!


it's OK for you to get the card but your PSU does not state your total 12v power so it would be hard to find total amps without make or model. it's doubtful you have that many amps on your 12v rail (you don't add them together) but you should be in the 20+ ballpark on your 12v.

below is a stress test using the following system, gaming power usage will be less
Test System Specs
- Intel Core i7 920 (Overclocked @ 3.70GHz)
- x3 2GB G.Skill DDR3 PC3-12800 (CAS 9-9-9-24)
- Asus P6T Deluxe (Intel X58)



Share
October 17, 2011 2:54:34 AM

dirtyferret said:
it's OK for you to get the card but your PSU does not state your total 12v power so it would be hard to find total amps without make or model. it's doubtful you have that many amps on your 12v rail (you don't add them together) but you should be in the 20+ ballpark on your 12v.

below is a stress test using the following system, gaming power usage will be less
Test System Specs
- Intel Core i7 920 (Overclocked @ 3.70GHz)
- x3 2GB G.Skill DDR3 PC3-12800 (CAS 9-9-9-24)
- Asus P6T Deluxe (Intel X58)

http://static.techspot.com/articles-info/315/bench/Power.png



Thank you very much!! i shall go and buy it now!! haha im so excited you guys rule!! BEST ANSWER RIGHT THERE ^^^^^
and i will also buy a new power supply in the near future from mwave. thanks again everyone for youre great support!!!!
Score
0
October 17, 2011 2:54:50 AM

Best answer selected by adz719.
Score
0
October 17, 2011 7:26:08 AM

mailpranshu said:


Let us know what happens? Also which country are you from?


Thanks everyone for your brilliant support, i went into the forums unsure today... and on the same day i wetn out and bought the graphics card and got a good discount on a thermaltake PSU, thanks to everyone!! im just downloading the drivers now and its working great =)) thanks again!!!!
Score
0
October 17, 2011 7:32:08 AM

adz719 said:
Thanks everyone for your brilliant support, i went into the forums unsure today... and on the same day i wetn out and bought the graphics card and got a good discount on a thermaltake PSU, thanks to everyone!! im just downloading the drivers now and its working great =)) thanks again!!!!


Cheers!!! Let the fragging begin... :D 
Score
0
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
October 17, 2011 10:39:11 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
0
!