Sign in with
Your question
Closed

OVERHEATING Issue ATI 4650

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 17, 2011 1:44:28 AM

Hey Guys,

So I have a friends computer, its an older HP. Its got a Core 2 Quad, and stuff, anyways, I got home a case earlier, for an overheating issue, his graphic card was idling around 80+ Degrees Celsius, so, after I got the case, and all the fans properly done so the most air would be dissapted around the GPU, I still had the 4650 around 80 degrees, and when I open furmark @ 1920*1080 within a Minute the GPU is at 130, and than it shuts down, within a MINUTE. now I'm curious on what to do, I mean another video card seems right..

BTW his Other temp indicators (done by HWMonitor) are all near ambient, or a little higher, 28-34 depending on where the sensor is. So its JUST the GPU, I tried new fans, cleaning it, I still have REALLY bad overheating. Any Help?

Thanks,
MrComputerTecho.

Best solution

a c 1308 U Graphics card
October 17, 2011 2:32:19 AM

At 130°C the card should melt. Apart from reapplying thermal paste to the cooler, the new card idea sounds better and better.
a b U Graphics card
October 17, 2011 2:35:15 AM

you can try removing the GPU's heatsinc and reapply new heat transfer compound.

is the card / heatsinck very hot to touch?

it could be a broken / incorrect temperature probe or a faulty card.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a c 189 U Graphics card
October 17, 2011 10:02:53 AM

make sure that card is free from dust and re-apply the thermal paste should help...
Also, make sure the fan is working properly.
October 17, 2011 10:06:28 PM

So The Fan IS WORKING, I am able to up the speed using MSI Afterburner. I've tried another system, cleaned the card. Im about to apply thermal paste...but will that bring the temperature like 20-30 Degrees? like im seriously Idling on my HAF932 Case at 100C, Will my GTX 275 which is usually in there idles around 30-40 depending on my fans. So It looks like its the card... So is there any solution? Or is it purely hardware related?

EDIT: So I redid the Thermal Paste... Temp dropped 30C now its a little more comfortable (70 idling) And with Furmark I ran it for a good 20 minutes, and it didnt crash or go over 115C so I think the problem is solved :) 
October 17, 2011 11:08:24 PM

Best answer selected by MrComputerTecho.
a c 271 U Graphics card
October 17, 2011 11:34:28 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!