Cellular phone coverage at UVA - Charlottesville, VA

Last response: in Technologies
April 11, 2004 4:29:17 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.gsm (More info?)

All,

We are trying to find a Cellular phone service provider which has good
coverage at UVA - Charlottesville, VA. Please share your experiecne in
the area. Thanks.

KeOu Chao
Anonymous
April 11, 2004 4:29:18 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.gsm (More info?)

In article <xR3ec.7769$Gf1.1251@lakeread03>, KeOu Chao <kchao@cox.net>
wrote:

> All,
>
> We are trying to find a Cellular phone service provider which has good
> coverage at UVA - Charlottesville, VA. Please share your experiecne in
> the area. Thanks.

There may be a few students, faculty, staff and administrators at the
University you could ask in person.
Anonymous
April 20, 2004 9:03:55 AM

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 12:29:17 +0800, KeOu Chao <kchao@cox.net> wrote:

>All,
>
>We are trying to find a Cellular phone service provider which has good
>coverage at UVA - Charlottesville, VA. Please share your experiecne in
>the area. Thanks.

I can tell you I was just there two weeks ago and have T-Mobile and
experienced good reception. I would caution, however, that if your
plans are going to be taking you to the more rural areas of the state,
they won't be a good option for you. In larger cities and along major
highway corridors, you'll be fine, however.
April 20, 2004 4:56:05 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.gsm (More info?)

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 05:03:55 GMT, Cyrus Afzali <pnsmnyv@lnubb.pbz>
wrote:

>I can tell you I was just there two weeks ago and have T-Mobile and
>experienced good reception. I would caution, however, that if your
>plans are going to be taking you to the more rural areas of the state,
>they won't be a good option for you. In larger cities and along major
>highway corridors, you'll be fine, however.

GSM coverage in that part of VA is spotty...mostly along the major
highways. T-Mobile's map appears to claim coverage in
Charlottesville, possibly along 29 to Lynchburg and south to Danville,
and along the I-81 corridor...it's hard to tell, as it does not
identify any of those cities, just the larger cities like Richmond.

If they aren't wedded to GSM, I'd recommend a carrier like Alltel
(CDMA) in Charlottesville. They have extensive coverage, and roam on
Verizon outside the Alltel service area.
!