Internal dual band wireless n card?

cynicalc

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
Well, I just got a linksys e3000 and I need a new wireless card for my desktop. Why are there so many usb available and not internal? What is the best internal wireless n (dual band) card available right now? Or at least a good one. I keep reading that I should get the same brand as my router but I also read that the linksys card has an artificial speed cap on it and has some issues... Suggestions? Also, no d-link for me.

cynicalc

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011

Thanks but these are the reviews I was talking about. Tell me what you think!

"Cons: * Poor file transfer performance. High latency, sudden dips in throughput."

"Cons: As best I can tell, Cisco/Linksys configure this adapter so that no matter what frequency you use, the full-duplex transfer rate is capped at 54Mb/s. In theory this adapter is capable of up to 300Mb/s at 5GHz, but for some reason this product doesn't enable that.

You are getting about 1/6th what you are paying for with this product. Do NOT buy it. This is common knowledge in many forums."

"Cons: Transfer rates are not what they could/should be! Installing the card is touchy. I had to remove and re-install it 3 times before it became active."

it was the only internal NIC that I was able to find.

everything else is USB. You could go USB but might have to use an extension cable to elevate it for better reception.

by the way most cards have CONS it is a mixture of the hardware not playing nice and/or people not being knowledgeable enough