Sign in with
Your question

High noise when recording on Windows

Last response: in Components
March 18, 2012 11:34:36 AM

Hi,
Recently I bought an ASUS Z68 mobo with a built in sound card(Realtek ALC887-VD), the problem is that I get high noise in mic when recording unless I set the Noise Suppression option, the problem is that this option is non-existent in Linux so when recording in Linux I would always get high noise.

To give you an idea of the noise I get, here's the waveform with NS off then on.

And here is the dialog that shows the NS option

Is this normal for mainstream cards or is this a problem with this particular card? Can you recommend a mainstream (built-in) sound card that works well without needing a fancy driver that does half the work for it ? for example does the ALC 889 has this problem?
March 18, 2012 11:46:46 AM

In my experiance, RealTek has always had crappy mic drivers(hardware and software both)... Even playback is iffy...
I would get a Creative card and be merry =P
March 18, 2012 11:52:08 AM

It will generally have more to do with the quality of your mic than it has to do with the sound card. The noise suppression is merely an automated noise profiler and noise reduction system. If you are using a standard PC Mic or boom mic from a headset then this is generally to be expected (though yours looks pretty bad). If this is from a real micraphone (Like a Sure, or AKG) and you are getting this kind of noise, then it means there is something dirty in the system (bad ground, dirty mixer, etc).

Lastly, while it is hard to tell from the immage, it looks like the noise is fan noise combined with static. Try moving away from your computer (if possible) and see if that cleans things up a bit. If that helps then it is time to invest in some quieter/larger fans and heat sinks.
Related resources
March 18, 2012 1:28:16 PM

CaedenV said:
It will generally have more to do with the quality of your mic than it has to do with the sound card. The noise suppression is merely an automated noise profiler and noise reduction system. If you are using a standard PC Mic or boom mic from a headset then this is generally to be expected (though yours looks pretty bad). If this is from a real micraphone (Like a Sure, or AKG) and you are getting this kind of noise, then it means there is something dirty in the system (bad ground, dirty mixer, etc).

Lastly, while it is hard to tell from the immage, it looks like the noise is fan noise combined with static. Try moving away from your computer (if possible) and see if that cleans things up a bit. If that helps then it is time to invest in some quieter/larger fans and heat sinks.

I'll do some experiments to try and tell if this is the case or not, however I can barely hear my computer's fan or HDD, the noise I'm referring to is just noise not background audio, unidentifiable noise.

March 18, 2012 1:29:20 PM

memadmax said:
In my experiance, RealTek has always had crappy mic drivers(hardware and software both)... Even playback is iffy...
I would get a Creative card and be merry =P

Recommendations for a mainstream card? do you know if it works well in Linux?

Thanks
March 18, 2012 3:23:43 PM

what kind of mic is this(brand, model, analog/digital, balanced/unbalanced)? I know realtek isn't exactly great or anything, but it should not be that bad.

Also, does it matter if this is fixed in realtime? Or for this project do you have the option to deal with it in post? It never ceases to amaze me how well Audition and other programs can clean up background noise without damaging the clarity and fidelity of the source you are trying to pick out. Audacity even has some decent cleanup, but not quite on the same level as others (but heck... it's free, and for free software it is pretty impressive)
March 19, 2012 4:01:48 AM

Creative makes great cards and they are the defacto standard since the early 90's. Linux fully supports any Creative card, all you have to do is pick one.
March 19, 2012 4:02:11 AM

Creative is a company, in case you were wondering. Creative.com
!