MSI 970A-G46 + AMD FX-6300 VRM question(not solved)

hammereditor

Honorable
Nov 27, 2012
I have recently decided on which mobo + CPU combo I want for an entry-level gaming PC build: the 970A-G46 plus the AMD FX-6300 (not bulldozer for all idiots who think AMD's latest architecture is stupid zambezi/dozer). I will be OC'ing the CPU. Using a PSU calculator (on extreme.outervision.com), I determined that, just to be safe, running at 4800 MHz @ 1.41 vCore will use about 153 watts.
I know that this board and other cheap MSI mobos are notorious for VRM/MOSFET failures because of the 4 + 1 - phase design. The G46 has heatsinks on the VRM's, though, so that's less of a problem.
But I think 150 watts max. thermal design pow is a tad too much for this cheap board. The CPU pow connector may have 8 pins, but I still think 150W is going to cause VRM overheating and failure. I am especially using a hyper 212 evo CPU cooler, which doesn't blow much air over the VRM's. Also, I want the VRM's to be stable in that environment for 12-24 hours at a time ( I'm saying I don't want it to last as long as a 8 GHz FX with liquid helium in an OC comp).
I was also thinking of the Asus M5A97 2.0, which looks and is far more reliable, with 4 + 2 phase MOSFETs and a large VRM heatsink. But that's $20 more.

So will the 970A-G46 be able to handle 153 watts stabily, with little cooling? Or should I get the Asus alternative? If I duct-tape a 40-70 mm fan to blow right over the VRM's, is that enough for the MSI G46?

Edit: The board is 125w - rated and the FX-6300 has a TDP of 95w. The ASUS board is140w - rated.

I am not really a real expert on this so take this with a grain of salt.

The way I look at it, if the power handling capacity looks insufficient, it probably is.

You would not want to run a "400w" PSU at a true 400w. They generally exaggerate the capabilities in products by testing them in unrealistic conditions such as in a cold, humidity and dust free environment where the cooling systems will be most effective.

hammereditor

Honorable
Nov 27, 2012

If I want to not reduce the overclock for 3-4 years, will taping a 70mm fan right over the VRM's work with the OC settings in the OP?

Taping a fan to the VRM will allow it to dissipate more power.
Unfortunately I still cannot say if it will work or not since I do not know anything about the board other than the specs.

If you do go that route, make sure you use non electrically conductive tape.

tcat551

Honorable
Jun 18, 2013

tcat551

Honorable
Jun 18, 2013
I'm running that mb and a 6100...no probs at all... have clocked it to 5.3 STABLE!!!! i'm running it at 3.7 right now..I once had a 8120 mounted on this board without any issues. I'm using CM 120M aio cooling solution and with the 6100 38c is the norm under load.I have no issues recommending this motherboard to use with any of the AMD FX chips

Latest posts